Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: waterproof pants that aren't overpants

waterproof pants that aren't overpants

I'm looking for a new pair of pants. Ideally they would be waterproof pants that aren't overpants. I would wear LD comfort shorts under them if it's warm or tights if it's cold. Maybe something similar to the Klim Traverse pants. What other pants would fit this description. I'm trying to get away from the bulkiness of overpants.

Brian

I have the BMW Comfort Shell pants and love them! I wear them year round and have never had a problem with leaks. I have about 30K miles on this pair over the past 18months. and they are holding up great!
    Tina's RedHot ROCKET!- 2010 K1300GT I just love him!
    2005 R1200ST totaled
    BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington DC
    "Jesus is coming!! LOOK BUSY"

Tough one Brian, if it is waterproof it won't breath. There is a lot of talk of the whatever TEX gear. For it to work well, from my experience, it has to be less humid outside the garment than inside. This is why a product made out of say Gore Tex works so well for X-country skiing-very dry outside by comparison. HTH Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Here's something to think about...

I have a pair of Firstgear HT overpants. Yes, they're "over" pants, and come with a lining. Honestly, if you wore those over a regular pair of pants with the liner in, you could probably wear them in sub-zero weather.

Anyway, I removed the liner immediately, and often wear them in spring and fall over my normal workpants when commuting. Often, in the summer months, on longer rides, I wear them over undies. Very comfortable, too, and waterproof.

So, just because they say "OVER" pants, doesn't mean they don't work just fine "OVER" shorts or "OVER" tightie-whities.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

#2 vote

Comfort shell. Rediculous price and worth every penny. 75 K on mine
    Live this day.

leesrt
    I've used goretex and nylon and the best I've found that breath well are frogg togs.

Aerostich Darien pants, fit like relaxed jeans, wear mine with shorts or fleece tights. They have both hip and knee pads.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

I do very well with the Olimpia Moto-X wearing them just as you described
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

Ute's Chauffeur
    I have the SG2 and Atlantis 4 both waterproof and worn as "regular" pants, both very comfortable.

Motorradfahrer
    Firstgear TPG Escape pants! They are not over pants but pants. They are waterproof but they breath to let out moisture. They use their own goretex type material to make that happen, not a rain liner like most that won't breath. They have air vents to unzip in the thighs. They have inner pants to wear as a destination layer for cold weather. They have the new d3o armor in the knees and hips along with a Kevlar blend in the material on impact areas. They have adjustable waist straps. They will set you back $329 if you pay full retail. I never have paid that and have always been able to buy them at 10-15% off. I have the previous TPG pant that had most the same features except the new armor and I like them so much I bought the new upgraded pants. I have worn them in temps from 30's to the mid 90's. The quality of the materials and finish of their gear is excellent. I have compared to Dainese and BMW and they are on par with those brands in all areas. The TPG line is better than anything Olympia or Tourmaster has to offer. That is simply because those brands rely on waterproof liners that are like wearing garbage bags, they are hot and don't breath. BTW Dainese, Alpinestars and Rev It use liners as well until you step into their $400 range pants. Check them out online and if you don't have a dealer near you order from Revzilla and they offer one free return on size. They do fit pretty true to size but you may be like me where you are in between.

Motorradfahrer
    Oh, and they make women's cuts! My wife loves hers and she is a fashion over function type.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    Oh, and they make women's cuts! My wife loves hers and she is a fashion over function type.

So I guess you have heard this too.

"My feet hurt, but I look good"

They are all like that, I think...
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

RUKKA Gore-Tex motorcycle pants. Best of the best.

Boone, NC (Mountains of Western North Carolina)
    These look interesting.

http://waterproofjeans.com/

Bash me if you will. Tourmaster Quest Pants. They ARE NOT over pants. They're cut like jeans and have armor in the knees and hips. When it's warm, these pants can be pretty hot. When it's hot, they can be even hotter.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys