• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1993 K75S seat change

ghyber

I have finally made the move and purchased my first K-bike after two airheads, two oilheads and two hexheads: 1993 K75S ABS red (Mystique???): standbye for great pictures although I did already post in another thread.

The seller sold me a lot of extra BMW K75S parts, some new, some used. I even have specialized tools for the clutch, valve shims and one tool similar to a pair of pliers which he even couldn't remember its purpose.

However, my first order of business is changing the low seat he installed back to the normal brand new grey seat he included in the sale. The seller gave me all the parts, but my dilemna is that I don't have a clue where to start. I have the BMW manuals and Clymer but a picture is worth a thousand words.

I will try to find a website detailing an exploded parts list showing each part required for the conversion back, if you know of an excellent website that would be great!

Could someone please take a few pictures of their "standard" seat and post them here or PM them to me: ghyber@videotron.ca in order to guide me through this conversion?

The "pliers" might be the crimping pliers for the Oeticker clamps on the throttle body to plenum hoses.

I hope he included the hinged seat lock (it's different) and the underseat tool tray/ECU holder and the battery covers.

Congratulations on your new S.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

The "pliers" might be the crimping pliers for the Oeticker clamps on the throttle body to plenum hoses.

I hope he included the hinged seat lock (it's different) and the underseat tool tray/ECU holder and the battery covers.

Congratulations on your new S.:thumb

Oh man, I have so much stuff I filled my Toyota Sienna van full. Yes, I have the underseat tool tray and battery covers.

He even gave me a brand new BMW alarm system for the bike, never been installed.

...NEED PICTURES...:ca

First thing you have to do is remove the lowseat tank pad.

There is one allen head bolt at the very rear of the tank that goes through the pad. It is underneath the nose of the seat. Remove it. Then unclip the two rearward facing legs from the frame. Now carefully wiggle and slide the pad towards the rear of the bike until the clips on the side of the tank come loose from the pad.

You will be left with a 3" square plastic piece that is double stickyback taped to the rear of the tank. Should come off using dental floss or fishing leader and goo-gone or WD-40. There is a rubber pad that is supposed to go in its place.

You will also be left with a 1 1/2" plastic square also taped to each side. You SHOULD be able to get those off without wrecking the paint. If not, there are knee pads available to cover that area. The K100 ones look better than the K75 ones.

You'll need to remove the hooks on either side of your trunk lid.

Remove all the latch mechanism and lock from the frame.

Remove the ECU and its holder.

Pictures to follow.

Position of front hinge on seat (mates with pin welded to frame rail):

P4020003.JPG

Front hinge assembly and support (also clips to pin welded to frame):

P4020004.JPG

Hinged seat style lock:
Turn left and push key to unlock seat. Center position is locked. Turn right and push key to open helmet lock.

NEVER slam seat!!!!!! ALWAYS turn key left and push while closing seat. Seat locks DO break from mishandling.

P4020006.JPG

ECU cover:

If you are not already aware, there is a locking clip that holds the ECU plug to the ECU. It is on the very right hand end of the plug. It is usually accessed through a hole in the ECU holder. With a screwdriver, push it towards the rear of the bike while pulling the right hand end of the plug outward. There is a hook that holds the leftside in until the right end is pulled out far enough.

When reinstalling this plug, hook the left end first. Then, while holding on to the back of the ECU CLICK the right hand end in place. MAKE SURE you get a good solid click!!! If that connection is loose, the bike doesn't run.

cover ecu.JPG

You wouldn't have happened to have gotten a BMW bulb kit in that carload??? :)

Lee, excellent walk through - how do you keep your bike so clean!

Low to normal seat conversion

Lee,

What can I say...you-the-man!:thumb

Here's what my new toy looks like in my heated garage (poor thing spent all winter in a lukewarm shelter).

DSCN8845.jpg

Special Tools

Here's a couple of shots of those "special BMW tools" which I just removed from the wrapper:

DSCN8858.jpg

DSCN8856.jpg

DSCN8854.jpg

DSCN8851.jpg

Ghy

BULB Kit

You wouldn't have happened to have gotten a BMW bulb kit in that carload??? :)

Lee, excellent walk through - how do you keep your bike so clean!
Yes he did give me a bulb kit. I remember seeing it a few months ago and noting that one bulb was missing, his reply: no it's not, the kit is brand new from BMW. I'll take a picture of it when I find it.

Ghy

Back