• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New DSLR

B1Pilot

So I took the plunge and bought a new camera... I have gotten sick of going to cool places only to have crappy point and shoot quality memories.

The new set-up

Canon EOS 60D
18-135mm IS lens
50MM/1.8 prime lens
430 EX II speedlite flash

numerous other camera farkles including wired and wireless remote, a luma loop, and a nice bag for everything that will fit in my pannier.

Coupled with a pretty cool iphone app that tracks your GPS position and time, and I can geotag all my photos very simply! Hopefully, I can add a pic or two in this subforum now.

Coupled with a pretty cool iphone app that tracks your GPS position and time, and I can geotag all my photos very simply! Hopefully, I can add a pic or two in this subforum now.

Can you tell me more about the iPhone app and geotagging? I have a 50d and while Nixons have a device that rides on the flash shoe to auto tag a picture I have not found one for a Cannon. So I am interested in this.

Thanks,

Yeah checkout GPS4CAM in iTunes... basically you run the app on your phone and it creates a log of your locations (you can set the interval for 30sec/1minute/5 minute /10minute/manual). It will literally run until the battery dies or you hit the button the end your session. You can set up for just nearest cell tower coords to save juice or use the enhanced GPS coordinates the phone can provide (usually accuate within about 20 ft.). At the end of your picture taking session, it gives you a screen shot of a QR code barcode that you take a picture of with your camera as well.

Once you are done, you upload your pics to your computer, and launch their simple free software (Mac or PC). It reads the barcode pic, and then pairs the time stamp that your camera imbedded in the metadata with the GPS info log to determine where you were when the shot was taken. It then updates the photo metadata with the GPS info.

What is nice is that it works with any camera... so I can run it, and take pics with my P&S, my DSLR, and my wife's P&S. As long as you take a picture of the QR code last with each camera, it will tag the photos for all the cameras. This is nice if you are both somewhere taking pics.

On my bike, I have a ramball mount for my iPhone and the powerlet charging cord, so I just let the program run the whole time I ride, and am still able to listen to music and take phonecalls, etc while its going.

All in all a pretty cool app that adds GPS to any camera for 2 bucks!. Here's a pretty good review: http://www.cbphotoblog.com/?p=362

Can you tell me more about the iPhone app and geotagging? I have a 50d and while Nixons have a device that rides on the flash shoe to auto tag a picture I have not found one for a Cannon. So I am interested in this.

Any GPS track log can be used to geotag photos from any camera. The key is to make sure that the camera date and time are correct. There is free software that will match a track log (typically in GPX format) against the timestamp of your photos and add the GPS metadata to the images. Simple.

If you already have a GPS on the bike you are set. It's not as exact as a hot-shoe GPS set-up, but usually when taking pictures on a ride I'm no more than 100 meters or so from the bike which is certainly close enough for my use. If I'm taking pictures on a hike or something like that I can edit the geolocation data after the fact.

For the Mac check out http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/
For the PC I've read good things about http://www.geosetter.de/en/

There are lots of other programs that do the same thing. Google to find something that you like.

Cool program I could definitely see myself using... as you state, though, the key is making sure the times are synched between the GPS and the Camera (not that hard, but...)

The app I use gives a bit more flexibility because that is not necessarily needed and when I go hiking or somewhere else when I am not near my bikes GPS it still works. The app will allow you to download the gpx file, but they want a buck for it. I am still trying to find the app that will allow me to create a gpx file with 30second or 1 minute data points on my gps enabled phone and then download it.

In the plane I fly we use a piece of software that pulls GPS data right off our antenna at a rate of 5-10 datapoints per second. You can then playback the trackfile with some 3-D icons that allow you completely recreate the flight based on vector plotting between the data points! Since it was aircrew developed software, we talked about modifying it for other purposes such as this.

Sony has made a couple of GPS taggers. Stand-alone device, you pop the memory card into it and it writes the tags based on the time stamp. There are other options from other companies as well, but when I bought mine in 2009, it was the only choice.

Sony GPS Tagger