Thread: Thinking about a DMC car on my Airhead

Thinking about a DMC car on my Airhead

I'm seriously considering putting a sidecar on my twin shock airhead ('83 R100RT). I'm looking at the DMC subframe and their fiberglass Ural replica. I've been doing a lot of looking and reading. Anyone have any comments about this setup (besides the all too common "It's not approved by BMW")?

Thank you
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

I bought a Sputnik car and hardware from Dauntless (now DMC) several years ago for my R75/6 and I only have good things to say about the quality of the attaching hardware and the assistance I got from them about installation. I had no previous experience with sidehacks and sent pictures to them for advice and talked to Jay several times about my installation which turned out handling perfect. So I would say "do it and have fun"!
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

I'm saving my money to get a chair to pair up with my 78 R100/7.. When ready I am planning to get a subframe from DMC even if I don't end up with one of their sidecars. Still trying to decide between a DMC/URAL style unit and a more "enclosed" style with flip nose, like a sputnik or Velorex 565.
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

Arctic Art

Talking sidecar upgrades

Have '84 r 100 w/ sputnic from DMC ,subframe furnished/mfg by DMC,can install yourself,same/FG hack.You'll (need) to alter front trail,forks or it will be a bear to steer,Perry Bushlong redid my triple trees,truly a thing of beauty,can be changed back in a weekend and 100.00 parts.Some parts get altered,and I switched final drive to 37:11,33:11 lacked tuoque in 4th and 5th was not usable.Mag wheels would be good,my r100 came with Lesters,oh and flat profile tires,maybe with tubes.So,through 5or6K at that bike and you'll be all set,getting 34mpg empty car.