• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TightWad Seeks Topcase

My current lean is toward a Shad SH42 closeout deal. Like to hear some feedback on that brand???
Paul, I looked at used Pelicans on ebay & may go that route too, but need to measure some more on my bike to decide just which one. One dis on a Pelican for bikes is the fact that they are heavy compared to made for bike luggage. :lurk

Agreed relative to OEM stuff and GIVI stuff, but the Pelican cases on my F650 are featherweights compared to the Jesse Luggage on my R1150R. In the scheme of things for a 425 to 525 pound bike I don't think it matters.

When I got back from traveling last summer I weighed all the luggage and stuff strapped on my R1150. It was like carrying a passenger - the stuff weighed 171 pounds, so the extra couple of pounds the case might weigh isn't a big factor to me.

tightwad

I will agree on the Pelican cases, my company uses a lot of them to ship specialized tooling around the world, all black,I was able to buy a used orange Pelican case off of Fleabay, that the previous owner had used for expensive camera equipment. It had a few scratches, but otherwise perfect. To me its always fun to fabricate tooling, so no problem to make a mounting bracket. It helps to work for a company with a machine shop, and bored machinists on night shift. One can get real creative.

Tightwad hard cases

At the 1986 natiional in Ca. I saw a /2 with 5 gal. plastic buckets for side cases and a matching 2.5 gal. bucket for a top case.
They looked water tight.
Three peice matching hard luggage for $7.50 you can't beat that.
Happy Trails
The Lonerider

Yes, you can(but it's not like I plan to do it!) as I get plastic buckets for free from the Wally World bakery & Kroger's bakery. I use them for maple sap collection but as I said don't want them hanging on my bike!:rofl
In a new developement, the seller of my clone case on ebay says he sells the latches for $5 + $3 s&h. I am going to ditch the clone and move on. Some on Advrider are using the Seahorse case SE720 which retails for ~$44. It is 6.6" deep so I wish it were a bit deeper. Another guy has a Wally World , Ozark Trails cooler mounted on his bike, comes with included alu lined water bottles on two corners. I'm also looking at military cases, but not real price competitive with the Seahorse, considering they are used.

Back