• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TightWad Seeks Topcase

kantuckid

I have a Givi 46Lt. Chinese clone & the plastic latch broke when yours trully, tried to "stuff" a heated jacket in on top of a full case. I have yet to attempt a "repair" to the latch that is made very much like the Givi's. I have priced Monokey Givi & Coocase and am reluctant to spend $275-$300+ on another top case. I would like to see if some members have a novel solution to this need? I am after black or whatever, but not willing or able to go after the high bling topcases many have on their bikes.:scratch:dunno:lurk No, this isn't about April 1st...

here's an option

jc whitney trunk.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx#

i got the "large" one from sears for $50 delivered with a universal rack. i spray painted the orangish/red bit silver and it looks much better. the large trunk has dimensions similar to a 46L case, i believe. i've had it for about 2 years and have had no issues with it at all. no leaks. not the best looking thing but good enough. it is pretty much the givi E460. sorry no pic, don't have my bike with me today.

jc whitney trunk.

i got the "large" one from sears for $50 delivered with a universal rack. i spray painted the orangish/red bit silver and it looks much better. the large trunk has dimensions similar to a 46L case, i believe. i've had it for about 2 years and have had no issues with it at all. no leaks. not the best looking thing but good enough. it is pretty much the givi E460. sorry no pic, don't have my bike with me today.

I second this. I bought the smaller one for our Vstrom. Perfect for the money.

I got the Bestam large trunk, I think it was $79. Identicle to a Givi trunk, was parked next to a ST1300 with a Givi, even at close inspection we couldn't tell the differance between the 2.

jc whitney trunk.

I think this is what he meant when he said he had broken a Chinese clone of the 46L Givi. Maybe I misunderstood.

I have a Givi E52? I think. If you are traveling to Ontario, it might suit your needs. I used it for one trip and then sold the bike, kept the topcase. It has the brakelight and backrest already installed.

A true tightwad top case would be a milk crate. You could even rig up a lid and latch.

Those things are expensive(topcase, not milk crate). I was skimming through a new catalog just this afternoon and noticed the prices on them.

A true tightwad top case would be a milk crate. You could even rig up a lid and latch.

Those things are expensive(topcase, not milk crate). I was skimming through a new catalog just this afternoon and noticed the prices on them.

Yea, go to the Hardware store and buy a hasp and staple. It will look like a Redneck did it. But you don't care, your CHEAP :whistle

Helen Two Wheels Strap: wrap it around the case and get on with you life

Too expensive for a tightwad. Do the local beemer dealers still give away the straps used to tie new bikes down in the crate? Or are the straps even used any more. A pair of those straps kept the side cases on my R80RT for years.

jc whitney trunk.

Thats the same , exact case I have now, except I bought mine on ebay. They depend on the plastic latch part that has a sharp lip molded into it to latch & that part broke . May repair it as a challenge & to save $, but no time to really study it yet . I too, fail to see how plastic cases are worth the $ asked? Maybe a high end tool box is the answer...:lurk

Kind of a side track , but actually a "real" milk crate is very expensive. We had a guy in the minimum security prison where I worked for several yrs(in the tech school) that had stolen a case of milk and it was a felony!I read an article in the paper a few years ago as to the huge losses incurred by the milk processors. I have several , all were roadside trash finds. A milk crate lacks the rainproof feature I prefer as a topcase. Yes, I'll stop for gas cans and various other common finds...:dunno

Cheaper still, a cardboard box, seems to work for the local Old Order Mennonite population, (our Amish use large wheeled scooters, no chain or seat) they all have them on the back of their bicycles to carry things in. Not sure how long they last in the rain, but that's seriously all they use.

If you dont need a hard trunk, a waterproof rolltop bag can be had at Walmart for $13. The one I got holds my tent, sleeping bag and ground tarp. Not sure of the size, but somewhere around 30"x12"x9".

If you want a good, stout, weatherproof case at less than motorcycle luggage prices take a look at the Pelican cases at: http://www.pelican-case.com/

I just bought one of these for a top-box for my F650Dakar. Under $100 and stouter than any non-metal case I've ever owned.

Kind of a side track , but actually a "real" milk crate is very expensive. We had a guy in the minimum security prison where I worked for several yrs(in the tech school) that had stolen a case of milk and it was a felony!I read an article in the paper a few years ago as to the huge losses incurred by the milk processors. I have several , all were roadside trash finds. A milk crate lacks the rainproof feature I prefer as a topcase. Yes, I'll stop for gas cans and various other common finds...:dunno

Yeah, it has it printed on the side of milk crates that what you have in your hands is stolen property.

Better yet, a cardboard box in a milk crate, inside of surplus dry bag. It will keep it's shape and stay dry.

I've looked at the pelican cases, they are nice. I would like to throw a set for side cases on the airhead but what I have still works.

I have a Givi E52? I think. If you are traveling to Ontario, it might suit your needs. I used it for one trip and then sold the bike, kept the topcase. It has the brakelight and backrest already installed.
I could sure use some Ontario fishing right now!:thumb

My current lean is toward a Shad SH42 closeout deal. Like to hear some feedback on that brand???
Paul, I looked at used Pelicans on ebay & may go that route too, but need to measure some more on my bike to decide just which one. One dis on a Pelican for bikes is the fact that they are heavy compared to made for bike luggage. :lurk

Back