• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Twice Upon a Caravan

JIMSHAW

Ambassador at Large
Just finished watching for a second time the DVD of a film, ÔÇ£Twice Upon a CaravanÔÇØ by Robert E. Fulton, Jr. In these days of the Iron Butt stunts, movie star rides, and other stuff, it is refreshing to see this manÔÇÖs description of his motorcycle ride from England to Japan in 1932. He rode solo. No cameramen, support vehicles, fuel injection, Russell seats, GPS, or even modern maps. He communicated with others with barehanded sign language.

I highly recommend this film to you.

fultd_2_1.jpg

Read the book...

Guess I better read the book, "Once Upon a Caravan." The "Twice..." film ends the journey in Japan, merely mentioning a voyage back. Also, he mentions that he loaned a substantial amount of his footage to the War Dept. during WWII, and never got it back.

The film ends with some of Fulton's philosophy about understanding through travel, etc.

His bike was at the TOR in Paonia CO in 2005.

very cool looking bike! :thumb

thanks for the post, Jim... looks like a great movie to watch. that was an important time in history and it would be cool to see footage from all those countries. really a shame the gov't. ripped him off like that. :nono

ian

Guess I better read the book, "Once Upon a Caravan."

I highly recommend the book, I'm on my third rereading. The humor, the description of areas are photographs in time.

There are several quotable parts from the book:
First when he blithely announces at a dinner party his intention to ride a motorcycle around the world (and to his surprise the president of the Douglas M/C company immediately offers one).

Second, when he suddenly runs off a half-finished bridge (pushing his light late at night) and wakes up later. You need to read the book to find out how this works out.

Third:His description of Afghanistan. Reminds me of today.

Back