• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires - Metzler Z8?

rednick

Pennsy Flyer
Has anyone seen or used the new Metzler Z8 tires yet? I have just recently found out about them and would love to try a set! Some of the online stores have them in stock but I don't know how long they have been available.

These are a major improvement over the Z6 if only because of a center sipe on the rear tire so you can now judge tire wear easily!

Good luck with them and let us know how it goes.

Rednick,

I'm moving this over to "Gear" since it's more general - and these tires may be used on lots of BMW models. Hopefully you'll get some useful replies! I'm also adding the type of tire to the thread title - so that may draw some more interest.

Z 8's

Thanks for the input gang. I am sure they will be my next tire. I have always loved Metzler tires, never had a bad one! Can't wait to try them.
Have a BRP trip in May and will need tires before that.
Clay, let me know how you like them. I am in Elverson.

(K1100LT 1992) I have a Lasertec on the rear and need one for the front. Rear is almost new. What are the thoughts about putting a Z8 on the front with the Lasertec on the rear? - Bob

Z6 & z8

I'm going to replace my front tire with the Z8 and leave the old Z6 rear on the bike for a while. The read on the new Z8 sounds good.

Btw, I got 10,800 miles on the front (so far).

tsp
2010 R1200RT

Thanks for the input gang. I am sure they will be my next tire. I have always loved Metzler tires, never had a bad one! Can't wait to try them.
Have a BRP trip in May and will need tires before that.
Clay, let me know how you like them. I am in Elverson.
Just had 'em put on..in the 100 or so miles..very predictable even in the wet. So far a very confidence building tire. Again..I've only had 'em for a very short time. My Z6's that where removed had about 8k+ miles and the rear was about to show metal cords. These Z8's are in M5 clothing..so these new tires wont have the missing center wear bar issues that the Z6's had.. We'll see how the long these will wear in retrospective..

Metzeler's all-new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó sport-touring motorcycle tyre is now ready for the highways and mountain roads with several much appreciated advances including its Greek Pi (π) tread pattern, new contoured profiles and nano-scale compound solutions matched to a well-proven InteractÔäó: Multi Zone Tension technology structure for performances from the first mile, at full-load and in all weather conditions. The combination of these features make Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó the perfect tyre for modern Sport Touring needs, dedicated to riders making long-distance journeys and to devoted all-season sport riders with reliability and riding easiness to enjoy the distance, safely.
Easy riding for maximum enjoyment
Metzeler's new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó is yet another class-leading tyre committed to riding enjoyment, that is, a tyre with versatility of use, comfort and safety (especially under wet conditions) that permits you to focus on the ride. Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó provides increased riding enjoyment initially through a new generation CMT (Contour Modeling Technology) profile that reduces push steering force by 5% versus its predecessor, immediately elevating the overall handling capabilities and easiness of various bike setups. This was achieved through a reduced cap section height, resulting in a more rounded curvature design to improve handling and increased stability. Although the profile has measurably quicker steering transitions, an incredible safety feeling is still present through a predictable turn-in rate that adds confidence to challenging riding such as panic situations on the wet while braking or low-speed turns on mountain passes.

Additional elements of riding enjoyment like excellent handling, stability and reduced road noise are attained by mating this tyre profile to the latest structural innovation: InteractÔäó multi zone tension technology, along with a functional tread pattern and temperature resistant compounds. A final footprint area 8% wider as compared to the Roadtec Z6 InteractÔäó is the outcome of a variation of steel belt tensions and a strategically placed tread pattern which optimizes pressures in the footprint area.

I had seen that on the Metzler site. Just can't get the dual part....:dunno

Reading further, it appears they use differing belt tensions in the tire carcass rather than zoned tread compound texture. This from the Technology tab:

"InteractÔäó TechnologyÔÇÖs new scheme with a 3 zone tension (see image) provide a comfort and mileage for sport-touring, in order to enjoy the distance, safely:
High steel belts winding tension in the center reduces compound movement and increases stability of the footprint area which reduces wear and ensures high speed stability on long motorway journeys (centre zone - 2).
Low steel belts winding tension creates more flexibility and therefore higher energy absorption, the compound increases the temperature and in a way becomes softer offering more grip while leaning. (Shoulder zones - 1 & 3)"

Reference is made on the Versatility tab to tread compounds that differ between the front and rear tires, but not zoned within each tire.

mounted my new Z8's Thursday night after work. have about 350 miles on them now, maybe 45 or 50 in the rain and I love em! such a huge improvement over the PR2's I took off.
leaving on a trip to the BRP ,Smokey Mtn's, Etc in 2 weeks so I will report back after that ride.
:dance

Metzeler's all-new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó sport-touring motorcycle tyre is now ready for the highways and mountain roads with several much appreciated advances including its Greek Pi (π) tread pattern, new contoured profiles and nano-scale compound solutions matched to a well-proven InteractÔäó: Multi Zone Tension technology structure for performances from the first mile, at full-load and in all weather conditions. The combination of these features make Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó the perfect tyre for modern Sport Touring needs, dedicated to riders making long-distance journeys and to devoted all-season sport riders with reliability and riding easiness to enjoy the distance, safely.
Easy riding for maximum enjoyment
Metzeler's new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó is yet another class-leading tyre committed to riding enjoyment, that is, a tyre with versatility of use, comfort and safety (especially under wet conditions) that permits you to focus on the ride. Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó provides increased riding enjoyment initially through a new generation CMT (Contour Modeling Technology) profile that reduces push steering force by 5% versus its predecessor, immediately elevating the overall handling capabilities and easiness of various bike setups. This was achieved through a reduced cap section height, resulting in a more rounded curvature design to improve handling and increased stability. Although the profile has measurably quicker steering transitions, an incredible safety feeling is still present through a predictable turn-in rate that adds confidence to challenging riding such as panic situations on the wet while braking or low-speed turns on mountain passes.

Additional elements of riding enjoyment like excellent handling, stability and reduced road noise are attained by mating this tyre profile to the latest structural innovation: InteractÔäó multi zone tension technology, along with a functional tread pattern and temperature resistant compounds. A final footprint area 8% wider as compared to the Roadtec Z6 InteractÔäó is the outcome of a variation of steel belt tensions and a strategically placed tread pattern which optimizes pressures in the footprint area.

The above reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=humPBKCljs0&feature=player_detailpage

:blah:blah:blah:blah Just kidding...

Are there any additional first-hand accounts of the new Z8 tires, possibly from a high mileage rider who has enough miles on them already to make a statement about longevity?

Sorry to revive an old thread. I just posted this review on the Z8's over at BMW Sport Touring site. FWIW, this is my assesment so far.

I took delivery of my 2011 R1200RT on 8/4/2011 and the bike came with Conti Attack's. I'm a fairly aggressive rider, not a speed demon but not a saint either. Just came back to NY from a long weekend ride (2500 miles) to The Great Smoky Mountains area. On the ride down I noticed the center tread on my rear tire was almost gone at about 4600 miles. The side tread was fine. The cords weren't showing but the treads were just about gone. As Chattanooga was to be our destination I called ahead to the dealer and inquired about tires. They had the Metzeler Z8 in stock, non C spec unfortunately. As most of my riding is one up with empty luggage I was ok with not getting it this time. Upon checking the front tire at the dealer we found the front was pretty bad too. So I changed both at 4825 miles.

The Conti's worked ok for me, I had no issues with them in the dry. I only rode them in the rain once and didn't get much confidence from them in the wet. 4800 miles is just too short a life span for tires.

Upon pulling out of the dealer parking lot with the Z8's the bike felt like it steered much lighter. Kept it pretty mild for the first 150 miles then progressively took it a little deeper into corners and added some speed. They feel every bit as confidence inspiring in the dry as the Conti's with the added benefit of the lighter steering feel. They hold a line very well and while riding numerous switchback's never stepped out or caused me any concern. On the ride home Tuesday we hit some wet roads. No rain just wet, tree lined roads with some leaves. Admittedly, when the conditions are wet I slow it down alot and don't take many chances. They handled very well in the wet and never stepped out. I read about the Conti's wearing out in the 4000 mile range and should have been more attentive to that before I left for this trip. If I can get 10000 miles out of the Z8's I'd be pretty happy. Time will tell.

mounted my new Z8's Thursday night after work. have about 350 miles on them now, maybe 45 or 50 in the rain and I love em! such a huge improvement over the PR2's I took off.
leaving on a trip to the BRP ,Smokey Mtn's, Etc in 2 weeks so I will report back after that ride.
:dance

I'm bumping this thread in hopes that those riding on Z8s will give us there impressions now that the tires have been in the market for a while.

I've decided that the Z8s will be my next tires. I'm about 2000 miles away and found that CycleGear.com will price-match any other supplier for them, and installation was priced fairly (I'm fortunate enough to live near a CycleGear storefront).

Back