• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mt. Rushmore Visit

Behnkeb

This summer a friend (she is riding her own bike) and I (04 R1150RT) are planning a trip out to Mt. Rushmore from Michigan. I have been researching and reading about what I need for the long haul (New Nolan N100 Helmet, Motolights, seat lift, and deer whistle - What am I missing?). I have some 400 mile days planned (9 day total trip time planned). The most I have driven in the past are some 500 mile round trip weekend rides.

Any suggestions?
Packing? Gear? Riding Tips? Places to stop? Eat? Pre Ride Prep?

Well it kind of depends on lots of things, are you camping or hoteling or both. Are you looking to make distance or enjoy the scenery.

The biggest pointer I can give you is get comforable clothes and pack light. Also you may want to check out the Archive of Wisdom at IronButt.com (http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm), these ideas apply to pretty much any ride.

Also bring a camera and a sense of humor.

Behnkeb said:
Any suggestions? Packing? Gear? Riding Tips? Places to stop? Eat? Pre Ride Prep?
Places to Stop: SPAM museum in southern MN on I-94, Corn Palace in Chamberlain, SD, Badlands, and spend a day in the Black Hills south of Rapid City.

I can't help with the rest since I do it wrong every time I take a trip. :D

Behnkeb said:
This summer a friend (she is riding her own bike) and I (04 R1150RT) are planning a trip out to Mt. Rushmore from Michigan.
Any suggestions?
I'd start with getting a sheepskin seat pad from Alaska Leather. That makes that last 'hateful hundred' miles of the day much more bearable.
Here's my packing list..good for 3-days to infinity with planned laundry every 4th day or so:

Clothing: (rt Bag)
1 pr. levis
1 pr. shorts/swim suit
2 s/s T shirts
2 l/s T shirt
2 undershorts
2 boot sox
1 short sox
1 pr. tennies
1 extra bandana
Dopp kit:
toothbrush
toothpaste
razor
foot powder
deodorant
vicoden/meds
tylenol
aloe vera
q-tips

Top Box:
video cam w/2 tapes & 2 batteries
digital still cam card extra batteries
cellphone w/charger
AAA maps and tour books
first aid
binoculars
gps
save room for sweatshirt & liner
buff

Tank bag:
sunscreen/glasses
earplugs(2 sets) /notepad

left bag:
Bike cover
1 qt oil
baggies
rags
cleaner
winter gloves
pump
tools
duct tape and wire ties
2 bungies
rain/cold pants

Wallet:
$300.00 cash
Park Pass
VISA
ATM
License
Proof of ins
AAA & Health ins. cards

Wear:
levis
boots
one long sox
l/s tshirt
sweatshirt
winter jacket w/liner
camelback

Just remember that once you get to South Dakota, you will not see trees for hours and hours. If you have never experienced this, it can be disconcerting.

I like the high plains, it is GS heaven with all the neat dirt roads. Dont miss stopping in Badlands National Park. It is worth the detour.

South Dakota School of Mines and Technology has an awesome display of fossils out of the badlands. If you like rocks, it is worth the trip.

If you are camping, try to get a spot reserved in Custer State Park. I would do it soon if you can, they will fill up quickly, and getting a reservation is worth it.
Take the needles highway there in the park, there are some breathtaking formations there, and you will get to see people from around the world that flock there for the technical ascents in the black hills.

I will take the Black Hills as one of the most beautiful places on earth, right behind Yosemite.

I hope you have a great time.

Recommended roads

I highly recommend highway 16a and Needles Hwy. ( in the Black Hills of course )

:thumb :thumb

must see locations,

Custer state Park
Bad lands National park
Deadwood
Sylvan Lake
Devils tower
Spearfish canyon
Find any canyon road and ride the hell out of them!!!

Even if you forget to bring clothes and everything else , purchase or bring a Camelbak http://www.camelbak.com/rec/recreation.cfm shown on my friends back on the right. Fill it with a large amount of ice and some water when you head out in the morning and the water will stay cold for hours. The standard size holds 70 ounces of liquid. The bite tube can be fed under your helmet while riding for easy drinking with both hands on the bars. Long hours in the saddle will dehydrate you and don't believe anyone who says you'll have to stop more often to pee from using a hydration system. You're replacing perspiration and it won't go to the bladder. You'll have to stop LESS often. Plus you won't dehydrate!!!!

I'd also consider getting a custom saddle since after 400 miles the single biggest complaint from your body will be coming from your butt. Second biggest will be from the knees.

It doesn't look like it here,but pack light. This summer I'll attempt another 5,000 miles only I'll just have the two side bags. I packed way too much this year so now I feel like an expert.

If you do have the need for camping equipment and extra bags, consider additional mirrors shown on my RT on the left which will help the rear view which gets blocked from all that stuff. I used mirrors from a K1200RS.

Attachments

• black canyon.JPG
    black canyon.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Here's another shot of complete strangers wearing Camelbak's. I'm trying to remember where this was though I think it was a couple of hours out of Vernal, Utah heading north. There were tons of riders coming from Paonia to Spokane hence all the BMW's. This is one of those spots near the top of a pass where riders tend to stop. It's like being a bird on a wire with other birds landing and taking off.

Attachments

• Utah .JPG
    Utah .JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 259
Depending on where you are starting from in MI, you may want to take the ferry across the Lake instead of fighting Chicago traffic. Either way, I suspect you'll be making miles on I-90 thru MN and eastern SD.

Badlands. If you're coming from the east, try to plan an overnight in Murdo (MP192) or Kadoka (MP 150). Leave early in the AM so when you get to the Badlands exit (MP131), the sun will be behind you during most of your ride on SD 240. The colors are much more vivid when the sun is low. Conversely, coming from the west, you'd want a PM ride.

Wall, SD. Certainly a tourist trap, but ya gotta get that drink of ice water and take a picture of your bikes by the dinosaur. :D

Mt. Rushmore. Best pictures are in the morning in early afternoon, then the faces are in shade. Be sure to take the walking trail which goes right to the base of the mountain. Also be sure to attend the inspirational evening ceremony. However, be careful on the way back to your motel or campsite, since those great twisties look a lot more challenging after dark.

US 16 Alt. There are some sections on this road, though paved, make you wonder how it got a U.S. route designation. If you take this route headed northwest from Custer State Park, you'll see Mt. Rushmore through each of the short, one-lane tunnels. And have fun on the pigtail bridges. :D

Caves. There are two cave tours in the area, Wind Cave N.P. and Jewel Cave N.P. If you're into cave tours but only have time for one, I'd recommend Wind Cave.

Needles Highway (SD 87). I wasn't all that impressed by the Needles themselves, but the ride was great.

1880's Train. My other hobby is trains, so I had to take this historic steam train ride that goes from Hill City to Keystone and back.

Before you make your motel/campground reservation, make certain the roads are relatively level. I made the mistake of reserving a cabin located on the side of a hill - not a pleasant ride up or down. :eek

Have a great trip! :thumb

lorazepam said:
Just remember that once you get to South Dakota, you will not see trees for hours and hours. If you have never experienced this, it can be disconcerting.

If you're interested, I've found a much nicer way across South Dakota, featuring puh-lenty of trees, hills, and good motorcycle roads.

Check out SD50, heading west of I-29 toward Vermillion and Yankton. It parallels the Missouri river and will take you to US18, through a few Indian Reservations, near to Wounded Knee, to Indian Service Road 27, which heads north to the Badlands NP.

This is a most excellent alternative to grinding across I-90!

Ian

Ever repair a flat tire at night? I have & this little thing is a huge plus. It packs very small & it sure beats trying to hold a flashlight.

It is a Petzl Tikkina Headlamp.
18525_m.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I can hardly wait for all the snow to melt and to get back out on the road.

Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway,Spearfish Canyon, Wind Cave N.P., and Spearfish Canyon. :clap :thumb :wave

I plan on being in the Black Hills in early July.I hope you are not planning to be there in the begining of August as the Sturgis Rally takes over all campgrounds and hotel rooms.If you're lucky and get a room,you will pay dearly for it. Enjoy.

Behnkeb said:
This summer a friend (she is riding her own bike) and I (04 R1150RT) are planning a trip out to Mt. Rushmore from Michigan. I have been researching and reading about what I need for the long haul (New Nolan N100 Helmet, Motolights, seat lift, and deer whistle - What am I missing?). I have some 400 mile days planned (9 day total trip time planned). The most I have driven in the past are some 500 mile round trip weekend rides.

Any suggestions?

A few additions to what others have said, remember summer in South Dakota is hot, hot, hot.

Ditch the jeans & tee-shirts (or save one set) for camp pants or high-tech fabrics like, duofold shirts (found at REI or other outdoor store), the cotton products are great, but don't perform well under riding gear when you are riding in the hotter months. They just make you hotter. Look for shirt/pants with UV filters built in. This goes back to the hydration and comfort while riding/siteseeing.

Great earlier suggestion! Camelbak's rock and are a must in the dry west (and make sense everywhere). Personally, I like to drink while riding, and pee when I stop, rather than drink while stopped and have to pee while riding :D

Bring a wide brimmed hat, so you can enjoy the sights, without the sunburn. Got to love a sunburn under a helmet all day :doh

Your evening meal should be the heaviest. Eat lightly at lunch, or you will be sleeping in the heat in the afternoon.

OH, and have a great ride and write a ride report when you get back for this forum.

The Black Hills has always been a must ride for me.I grew up in Winnipeg,but never went there...I planned to return that way from the Trenton Rally,but it was not to be...
Some day,soon.

A 9 day trip from Michigan means a couple of long days to get to the Black Hills. Get on I 90 and only get off for gas and the Badlands. Some nice forest service camp grounds, Horsethief Lake is just a few miles from Mt. Rushmore. You can make reservations but they don't have showers. You can get showers a few miles down the road at KOA for a few $ but DON"T stay there! No shade and you get packed in like Harley riders at Sturgis.

A nice loop ride is from Spearfish north then west to Devils Tower, down to Sundance then south to Four Corners. Hit hiway 85 north over O'neil Pass down to Chyenne Crossing then down Spearfish Canyon. From 4 corners to Chyenne Crossing is probably the nicest sweepers in the Black Hills.

Almost every paved road in the Black Hills is fun but WATCH OUT for the gawking tourists, they are everywhere, lots of RV's but it's still a great place to ride.

If you stop at Wall Drug check out the National Grasslands visitor center, it is more interesting than the trourist store.

Harney Peak is a nice 4 hour round trip hike to the highest point east of the Rockies if you need that kind of fix. Mount Rushmore is OK if you've not seen it before, Crazy Horse Monument is interesting.

Going across South Dakota is usually HOT and WINDY and I've been in a foot of snow in July in the Black Hills, it melted the same day but the point being the Hills can get chilly.

Gas stops can be over 30 miles apart so don't wait for the reserve light, especially further west.

Back