• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddle bag liners

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Has anyone used Cee Bailey's bag liners - - The BMW bag liners are very expensive at over $250 for the side bags alone, Cee Bailey's saddle bag liners are much cheaper at $79 for a pair - - does anyone know if they are of decent quality?

As you may know the BMW bags more or less maintain their shape whether filled or not. This turns out to be a good feature IMO, but maybe not worth the additional price. The Cee Bailey's are excellent in terms of design and construction but are basically elaborate floppy cloth bags. I have had the CB's and now have the BMW bags and I like the BMW's better.

I've had the Cee Bailey's since the bike was new and they are flimsy but have held up well. Once filled a bit they work just fine. Good value compared to the BMW bags.

I guess if you use them regularly it might be worth going to the BMW bags but I think I will save the cash as the trips, unfortunately, are not frequent enough!

The BMW liners are stiff, which makes them easy to use but restricts their capacity. I used the RKA liners for years; they're floppy but have *some* stiffening in the bottom. Now I have Cee Bailey liners for the R12 - they're completely floppy, like the TLCs.

Get the Cee Baily's. I have them and they work really great. You can stuff a bunch of stuff into them. And anyhow, who cares if they are "floppy" when empty? They aren't saddle bags, they are saddle bag liners.

I have a pair of Kathy's Journey I bought from Bob's. Very well made, life-time guarantee, about half the price of the BMW liners for my bike.

Get the Cee Baily's. I have them and they work really great. You can stuff a bunch of stuff into them. And anyhow, who cares if they are "floppy" when empty? They aren't saddle bags, they are saddle bag liners.

And the external pockets on the Cee Bailey's liners are very useful (zippered on one side and mesh pouch on the other).

The TLC bags look pretty good - have you seen or used them ?

I've got em'.. had them embroidered with R1200RT. Are they BMW bags? NO. (I have the BMW tankbag and it's the Shizzle, but it was $350!!!())_*()&(*^& )
Are they kinda floppy yes.. but who cares?? Fill em' with your stuff and they are fine, actually made pretty well. Hidden pockets inside too, for organizing. THEY ARE A DEAL!

Glad to hear the positive reports on the CB bags as I have a set on the way for my GT. I don't expect to use them all the time, so I couldn't see paying the price for the BMW ones. Sounds like these will do me just fine.

I use mine all the time in the side cases. The clam shell design on F650GS factory cases makes them just about useless without liners. Without the liner, anything small would just fall out of the case every time you open it.

The other nice thing about liners is that you can leave the cases on the bike when you get to the campground or the motel and take your liners in the tent or in the motel room. The liners are a lot lighter than carrying the cases, and your cases won't get banged up carrying them in and out.

bag liners

Yes - they are good in all those ways ........and then there's the grocery store run....... when there is no other way to get out for a ride "honey - I'll go"

I've been using canvas book/tote bags. They come in lots of sizes, have carry handles on them. No zippers to jam or break.

What is the advantage of "real" luggage liners anyway, aside from the higher price?

P

I've been using canvas book/tote bags. They come in lots of sizes, have carry handles on them. No zippers to jam or break.

What is the advantage of "real" luggage liners anyway, aside from the higher price?

P

They look cool and you get to spend more money (In the BMW tradition!) D'UH! Geez....

Kathy's are the ones I have, and I bought them from Bobs. They are made with Cordura, and are really tailored exactly to the side cases so you can use every square inch of the space in the case. My cases are expandable and the liners have a zippered gusset that expands the liners to fit the cases when they are expanded. I really like the expandable feature, by the way, because I use the cases on the bike nearly all the time, and when they are not expanded the cases look a lot more compact. When it is time to go on a trip, expanding both cases gives you a lot more room for the extra gear you need on a trip.

I was a little concerned about the expandable feature from the standpoint of keeping the water out with that expansion seam there, but I have ridden a number of times in real downpours without a drop inside the cases. But that brings up another benefit to the liners. Even if your cases do leak, the liners are waterproof.

P

I would say the biggest advantage is that they fit the cases exactly so you don't have any unusable space. Another advantage when you camp or go in the motel is you have two liners to carry in instead of an assortment.

I do use small nylon stuff sacks inside the liners to organize everything so I don't have to root around looking for things. My liners also have long narrow zippered pocket on the outside of the liner that corresponds to the bottom of the case that wraps under the exhaust. Those pockets are very convenient for small items you want to be able to get to quickly without digging into the liner (ear plugs, mp3 player, side stand puck, etc.).

Might want to look at these:
http://www.tlcproducts.com/servlet/Categories?category=BMW

Inexpensive, USA made, and you can have them Embroiled with your initials :brow
I've always used Kathy's. However, I decided to try out a set of these "Cheap Charlie" liners. I couldn't be more pleased in the 8-9 months I've had them - over more than 20,000 miles. Name on the bags is a plus but these are just fine and fit the bags quite nicely. Only thing I'd like to see on them is a shoulder strap.

These are really similar to the Kathy's I have for my other bikes [no longer have the other bikes - still use the Kathy's for light travel] and collapse when empty but for me, that's a plus.

Well spent $40.... :thumb :thumb

Back