• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MP3 Audio Books on the Zumo 550

sfarson

After a couple of years of listening to XM or MP3 music on the Zumo, I'm thinking it would be nice to hear a book or two this upcoming season. I'm always skipping over the Zumo book page as I go between XM and MP#'s.

I don't want to pay for the audible.com subscription. I'm simply not going to be listening to that many books. Google searches reveal the Zumo can play MP3 audio books. There's a bunch of free audio book MP3's on the web.

I've copied two MP3 chapters of a book to the Zumo's SD card as a test. They appear as MP3 music I can play. Is there a way I can have these two chapters appear as books to browse/select when I'm on the Zumo's book page? To the Zumo they are music files and I need to wade through long MP3's listings to find them.

I know I'm being picky, but if before I resign myself to having MP3 books appear only as a song, thought I'd see if anyone knew how to have these MP3 books appear as books to the Zumo. Thanks much!

Audible is a special format that is only subscription based. You have to buy the book and 'authorize' the garmin, via your pc or mac, as an audible player. I have been a member for years and get the annual subscription. You can do just one if you like but the cost is a bit higher. What I find is that, unlike music (that can just fill up free white noise space without much concentration and be pleasurable) listening to a book requires some level of concentration that detracts from the attention needed to drive a motor. I am sure some can do it just fine. I can't. But, I do surely enjoy sitting on the deck while listen to a good book.

After looking into it some more decided to join audible.com. Will give it a try. Thanks for the thoughts.

sfarson, I went through an Audible sub and could not stand it. Then I used mp3 books.

Download free MediaMonkey, it's like iTunes but works better. In it, I can code my mp3 audiobook chapters as audiobooks and rename each 1-N. I also code all music as Rock. Then I pick what I want by genre in the Zumo, audiobooks or Rock. Next.

AZ... Thanks for the tip. Will give Audible the three month trial, but it is nice to know there is a working alternative.
thumb.gif

No problem, been using MediMonkey since my Zumo 550 (an original BMW Zumo), and now with my 660 Zumo. I have 4 leftover Audible books, 6 mp3 books, and well over 400 songs, all track leveled up (another MediaMonkey trick) for play good enough to 85 mph or so. I can always adjust the sound down on the Zumo but once it reaches max up, there is nowhere else to go. ;)

Audio books at the library

Hope you don't mind me butting in here; You can "borrow" audio books from your local library - no charge.

Audible Works Pretty Well

Been with them for about three years. Books worked well on the Zumo last riding season. No problems at all. As stated above, you do have to authorize the Zumo (and it has to be on a Windows machine), but after that, you can drag and drop from any machine.

Did about 30,000 between the bike and the truck with the Zumo reading to me last year.

Back