• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Choice for Bluetooth?

Retarded Jarhead

Old, Ugly, feet stink too
Has anyone had much experience with those which have worked well, or poorly with the BMW comm system.

The truth ids I am partially armed in this discussion.

Goiung to look at a new (2010) RT this weekend and I fully plan to make a purchase.

I am not sure if I have to buy like a Nolan (or?) already set up helmet or does the bike come with headsets that need installed.

I have not had luck with aftermarket comm systems in the past so I am trying to educat my old butt!

What's the good, bad and ugly?

I use the Cardo Systems Scala Rider G4 units. I prefer this system as I can move it with me to another helmet. The G4 has had some upgrades done to software and I can update them via my laptop. I had the previous generation Scala Riders and liked them so much I upgraded to these new units. The old units did not have Bluetooth for mp3 players. My understanding is that Schuberth helmets incorporate the Scala Riders into their helmets. The idea of it incorporated into a helmet sounds interesting but I have a couple of helmets and would rather have a unit I can move. I also have the dreaded long oval head and find only Arai Profile helmets fit me properly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the '10 R1200RT audio system does not include Bluetooth connectivity. This was added for the 2011 model year.

Look for an '11 model for Bluetooth connectivity. Mine connects easily to my Camos BTS-200 unit installed in my Shoei RF1100 ff helmet.

And while you're shopping, you may want to look for a later-production '11 bike, as they also come with Sirius satellite radio installed with a 12-month complimentary service.

Hope this helps.

Brother, you are not a Retarded Jarhead. There is no such thing. You may be misunderstood, but certainly not retarded.

I would recommend that you try on before you buy any helmet you are considering augmenting with a communication system to ensure there is enough room between your mouth and the chin guard. I have a normal chin, certainly not one of those Dudley Dooright or Jay Leno chins, but there is so little room forward of my mouth in my Nolan N103 that the boom mike of my Scala Q2 had to rest between my teeth.

Needless to say, I found that completely unsat and ended up changing helmets.

Semper fi!
Pete (Retired Warrant)

Skip the Nolan 103. I've had one and hated it. Helmet is noisy and bluetooth is not in the league of Scala G4 or previous generation Q2 or other top units (see webbikeworld reviews). Be aware that bluetooths from different makers often do not work well together so you can't automatically mix and match brands if riding with a pillion or friends- sometimes yes and sometimes not. Scala G4 is probably your best bet if you need to mix. I'm currently using a pair of the earlier (still available and a lot cheaper) Q2 units for riding with a friend and they work well for bike to bike at distances up to about 250 yds with an extreme range of close to double that but with some reduced intelligibility. The new G4 is better for range and battery life plus it is stereo for music unlike the mono (but 2 speaker) Q2. Howver, if music is your thing you should consider earbuds and a different approach. Te Scale bluetooth units readily interface with a bike GPS (like one of the Garmins) and your bluetooth cell phone- with call quality so good that receivers cannot tell you're calling from your bike at speed.

Thanks folks...

The helmet (head shape) issue is something the wife and I are both struggling with. It will be a challenge and I hate it.

It is an '11 RT that I will be getting due to the other (Dare I say) "farkles", or is it "amenities in the BMW genre?

I have been told that the bluetooth is avilable in the '10 also as I have been floundering on which to get and driving the salesman crazy.

I am going to go with the 11 however due to a couple of features I had on my 08 GSA and was quite fond of.

Thanks for all the help folks - now I know that whatever I have to get is seperate from the bike purchase I will be able to proceed.

The "Retarded" issue is up for debate! The wife thinks I'm just a little "slow" and says I'm "Special" cause I get to ride the short bus!:usa:usa

Ben Jefferson
Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired) 6119 :usa

The helmet (head shape) issue is something the wife and I are both struggling with. It will be a challenge and I hate it.

Thanks for all the help folks - now I know that whatever I have to get is seperate from the bike purchase I will be able to proceed.

The "Retarded" issue is up for debate! The wife thinks I'm just a little "slow" and says I'm "Special" cause I get to ride the short bus!:usa:usa

Ben Jefferson
Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired) 6119 :usa

I have heard MARINES called worst.:stick :laugh E-10 Master sergeant of the Marines, I'm impressed. :usa:usa I use a Scala Q2 with a Scorpion Helmet, I can hear the GPS directions, Lesson to music I loaded onto the GPS, and talk on my cell phone. Good luck in your choice. If you are going to the RA Rally in Wisconsin l'll by you a beer at the beer garden. :beer

I like my helmet so I am planning on just adding a Sena SMH10. I looked at the comparo over at webbikeworld and the big knob and better volume won me over. That and the big difference in price :)

+1 on the Sena

works well for bike to bike with me and my wife....

I like my helmet so I am planning on just adding a Sena SMH10. I looked at the comparo over at webbikeworld and the big knob and better volume won me over. That and the big difference in price :)

O Neil with bluetooth

Hi,

I bought an ONeil full face that has bluetooth and fm radio last season. I sync it up to my Droid and use the fm radio.

Syncs easy to Droid, never have tested a phone call from the helmet so I don't know how the mic works.

Always use it on full volume since I wear ear plugs whenever on bike.

Fit and finnish is OK, I have a SHOEI head and this fits OK but not as snug. I have a better fit with the SHOEI

Hope this helps.

Will

+1 on Schuberth, although the price is brutal.

I also have a set of older Scala Q2's which work well.

+1 on the Sena. I also invested in the wired mic accessory in order to ditch the boom mic. I don't use bike-to-bike, but I've paired it with both the GPS and the Phone (Droid) and it seems to work just fine. Frees up a ton of room in front of the chin (Shoei Quest is my helmet)

Additionally, the speakers can be used (ie. paired with the GPS) without the mic attached for those rides where you just want to leave the phone tucked away in pocket, which is actually the primary reason I picked it up. Only on testing and multi-day trips do I plan on having the mic/phone pumped through my helmet while riding.

I did the same thing with my Schuby. I bought the G4 instead of the SC3 so I can move it from helmet to helmet. I also got the wired mic that sits on the edged of one of the cheeck pads. This puts it about an inch from my mouth and the chin bar can be opened with no problems. The SC3 comes with a boom mic and it is always in the way when opening and closing the chin bar.

I have a system 6 with BMW's bluetooth system and it worked very well until it became unable to take a charge... Now i just have a charge wire hanging out of my helmet

Jerry
2009 K1300S Lava

I did the same thing with my Schuby. I bought the G4 instead of the SC3 so I can move it from helmet to helmet. I also got the wired mic that sits on the edged of one of the cheeck pads. This puts it about an inch from my mouth and the chin bar can be opened with no problems. The SC3 comes with a boom mic and it is always in the way when opening and closing the chin bar.

What did it set you back for this set-up, if you don't mind my asking? It sounds like you have just the set-up I'm considering. I'm also looking at the Schuberth C3 because of all the rave reviews it is getting. I haven't actually tried one on yet (I know, don't buy one unless you try it on first). I did try the Shark that flips all the way back to use it as a 3/4 helmet, but I don't see myself using it in that configuration anyway. I like that the Schuby is light weight and fairly quiet for a flip-up. But the price may steer me elsewhere.

I want to get a Flip-up style with bluetooth that will allow me to use a GPS and Ipod. I'm not going to pay for XM Serius radio, as it wouldn't get used all that much. Be nice for trips, but I can't take many of those at this time. I still haven't bought the GPS unit, but I'm looking at several different ones. And unless my wife starts riding with me again, I will be solo most of the time, so 2 way conversation isn't high on my list. That might change if I get with others who have the same rig, but again, not high on the list.

Back