• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bungee Cord Recommendations

Rok Straps are nice for lighter loads but for a fully packed 30 liter duffel I want some real D-ring straps that I can cinch down tight so the duffel exactly stays where I put it.

Since Rok Straps are rated at 200 lbs, I think a rider is unlikely to survive anything that would make them give way or allow the load to shift.

...bungee cords or straps...Kent Niederhofer

The main issue with bungee cords is that they are potentially dangerous. My wife is an eye surgeon and has seen some devastating injuries from them.

Rok Straps are nice for lighter loads but for a fully packed 30 liter duffel I want some real D-ring straps that I can cinch down tight so the duffel exactly stays where I put it.

There are also cinch versions of ROK straps.

Never had an issue with 100 pounds of bulky load ROK-cinched on the back of the bike with just two straps.

ROK Straps for me, too!

I like ROK straps, myself...:nyah

I use two sizes:
smaller "Pack Adjustable Stretch Strap"
larger "Motorcycle/ATV Stretch Strap"
http://www.rokstraps.com/gallery.html

I have three sets semi-permanently mounted to my GS (running solo seat):
-One pair of smaller adjustable straps goes immediately behind seat, for securing tent.
-One pair of smaller adjustable straps toward the rear of my luggage rack platform, for securing my chair.
-One pair of the larger adjustable straps that goes over my Ortlieb dry bag (through the handles), which contains the rest of my camping gear. The Ortlieb bag sits on top of the tent and chair, and the larger straps go over the whole works.

When I cinch the ROK straps down, there's very little movement. If the load shifts and loosens due to some unforseen circumstance (i.e. big pothole), the elastic should take up any slack that develops. I wouldn't know from experience, as I've never had them loosen in the past 30K miles that I've put on with them...:thumb

ROK has finally come out with Hi-Viz straps in the larger size. Not sure if my whining has anything to do with it, but I'm glad, in any event!:)

Beating a dead horse

I use a Mag's Bags touring bag over my back seat which straps directly onto the
bike and then I use Rok Straps to secure everything else. I'll never go back to bungies, these are the best! Don

I always use straps to hold down gear for rafting . I have several sets of cam buckle for the boat that I use in addition to H2W straps for the motorcycles .I have heard good things about Andystraps .

I use a set of Helen 2Wheel straps and a set a bungee (don't shoot me) from Wal-Mart, which are fully adjustable. The combination works best for my set up.

Back