• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

From Tampa to San Diego and back....

mieczkow

Tom Mieczkowski
I am planning a trip out to San Diego on my k75s for the first week in May or thereabouts... I'll be riding solo.

Anyone who has done this trip and has some suggestions and pointers, I'd appreciate anything in the way of advice. I'm thinking four days on the road each way. Is this realistic?

Thanks for any commentary, assistance, etc.

Tom Mieczkowski

Too many variables

Your mileage goal seems so capriciously arbitrary. Why are you going? How much time do you have?

There are some great cities along the way, and some very beautiful terrain. The bike will handle it fine if it's in good condition - but will you? Do you have a fairing? Good riding gear?

Without knowing what your goal is I would generally recommend around 300 miles per day - and really enjoy the country you're traveling through and the people you might meet. Definitely spend a day in New Orleans and a day in San Antonio and Austin.

Take notes - report back.

Time limitations

Don't mean to sound capricious or arbitrary - I have a limited amount of time to spend - the objective is to visit my son who lives in San Diego and my time constraints are work imposed.

The experience on the motorcycle is my primary motivation - the ride itself. I grant that there are many wonderful places en route - some which I have visited many times in the past and enjoyed. I don't have the luxury of time for this trip so I am focused on the ride environment - what I can experience while in motion. I love the desert so I am looking forward to that section, and also the climb through the western mountains.

I do need to move pretty quickly, and although I have not done a coast-to-coast run I have done some 600 mile days so I'm not totally naive about the physical aspects of the trip in front of me. I can "ride the slab" and just grind out miles a la an "iron butt" type of run. Without doubt some of that will be a part of this trip - but to the extent I can I would like to take non-interstate routes and interesting scenic routes when possible and when not infeasible given that I must get back to work.

I'm hoping someone can suggest some specific alternatives along the general Tampa-San Diego axis where I can avoid the interstate system. I know that oftentimes the interstate routes where laid alongside older state and federal highways and parallel them. If there are some of those segments someone could suggest, that would be great.

Tom

I would guess it would be 8 days of solid riding at 600 miles or so a day, not much padding.

Heck, if the whole point is just that, more power to you. Have a blast.

That pace sounds about right

Yeah, I was figuring about 2300 miles each way according to some web-based mileage calculation sites. That's how I came up with 550-600 a day if conditions are OK. Once I arrive in San Diego I'll meet my wife you is flying out there then store the bike for a week, and then head back home.

In its own way it seems kind of crazy, but I'm getting old enough to where I will not have a lot more opportunities to do this sort of thing - so it's a bit of a bucket list activity. But the idea of just riding is always such a wonderful experience on the K75 that it alone is a terrific way to spend some time. The bikle is excellent - not even 50k miles on it from new, runs very strong, and in its own way deserves some sort of trip as a part of its own experiences.

It will be interesting - and should something go awry I've got the anonymous book along with me, a couple of credit cards, a little mp3 music, a good set of riding gear, so I think it will be a great adventure.

Tom

Observations from my October 50CC ride

In Ocotober I did an Iron Butt coast to coast ride. I would suggest a couple of things to be aware of.
1) You will more than likely want to stay on the Interstate system.
2) Avoid the Texas Hill during dark (wild life on the roads)
3) You will probably pass through Yuma Arizona. It will probably be very warm, but have your cold weather gear ready as you will have to cross a mountain range on the way to SD and it will get cold.
4) Remember, it's close to 1,000 miles across Texas, and West Texas is BORING.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!!

Remember, it's close to 1,000 miles across Texas, and West Texas is BORING.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!!

Hi, Tom,
Yes, it can be boring. I say that and I live there (El Paso). That said, if you stay in El Paso for the night, try to let me know. If I'm at home (I work in Morenci, AZ in the copper mine, 240 miles away), I'd be happy to show you one of our great steakhouses.

Many Thanks, Phil

Many thanks for the offer Phil. I will be passing that way and if the timing works out that I'll be spending the night there I will contact you. You can send me a phone # or e-mail contact at the following email address:

mieczkowski@tampabay.rr.com

I'd be happy to take you up on a good steak!

Tom

Last edited:
Back