• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Audio

RTRandy

Does anyone know how you'll be able to listen to GPS commends, music, or phone in your helmet from the K1600 system? I was wondering if they use the same cable jack such as Autocom though I'm not sure if the Autocom 7 pin jack is even a standard. Autocom makes an adapter to connect their 7 pin to a 5 pin so perhaps that might work.

My thinking is for those that have helmets with Autocom speakers and the cable it could somehow plug in to the BMW set up and be done with.

Or: Does one have to start from scratch and wire their helmet with some BMW accessory headphone set up ? My understanding about Bluetooth helmets is you have an issue with the battery running out on you. If it is a new set up, does the bike come with the needed parts when one orders it with the GPS and audio option?

Plugging in with no power issue is the way to go in my opinion though I have a feeling that's not the case.

Here's a link to the K16 audio manuals:

http://bt.my-mc.com/bmw-k1600gtl-manuals.html

Short summary:

The K16 audio is ALL Bluetooth -- all stereo, GPS, intercom, etc. is transmitted via Bluetooth wireless connection.

There are rumors that the aftermarket is working on Bluetooth dongles which will allow wired connections (e.g., J&M), but it is unclear whether, assuming these appear, the dongles will permit all of the functionality built into BMW's proprietary Bluetooth radio and headset implementation to be available to the rider and passenger. BMW has already stated that other Bluetooth communicators will work with basic audio functions, but several will not be available (such as passenger being able to hear the stereo).

I heard from my dealer that it also works with the Schuberth bluetooth helmet radio, which is made by Cardo and similar to the Cardo G4 bluetooth system.

I heard from my dealer that it also works with the Schuberth bluetooth helmet radio, which is made by Cardo and similar to the Cardo G4 bluetooth system.

Actually, there's a BMW specific headset for the Schuberth helmets. It allows the passenger to control the music from the back seat and allows all audio to be shared between both riders. The standard Schuberth bluetooth set won't allow that.

if you want to be blown away, just ask your dealer how much those Schuberth helmets cost, and then ask how much the additional audio set-up for those helmets cost.
totally unfuknbelievable!

Nothing from my K1200LT is compatible

So far no luck with the new Cardo G4 bluetooth set I bought. Running 3.0 software in the G4. The bike see it and said it was paired but no audio in the helmet. Any suggestions????

So far no luck with the new Cardo G4 bluetooth set I bought. Running 3.0 software in the G4. The bike see it and said it was paired but no audio in the helmet. Any suggestions????

Update...I did get my cardo G4 to work. I paired it to the bike then paired it to the GPS, this is what happens now.
1. turn on Cardo G4

2. start bike. GPS pairs to G4 phone pairs to GPS.

3. Blue tooth on bike is on and dot flashes for 30 sec to 45secs and then pairs to G4, then audio will come through(music and GPS commands).

4. If a have my wife with her G4 on which I did not pair to the bike and gps, and we use the intercom to talk to each other I loose the audio from the bike and GPS. It won't reconnect unless I shut the bike down and restart. But soon as I use the intercom I loose bike and GPS audio.

I can live with that, since I don't listen to music from the bike when I am with the wife. But it would be nice to receive the GPS comands. I will wait and see what happens with the Cardo system before a buy two new helmets at $1100 each.

Autocom

I was just reading Matts reply regarding the successful muse of the Autocom system on the GTL. I have an Autocom Super Pro Automatic. Will this work, as long as I use the connection cables you suggested? I understood you to say the microphones don't function with this set up. While I'm not concerned with cell phone usage, does the intercom system function?

Will

Yes. Intercom is controlled through Autocom unit, not bike. Depending on which input and how DIP switches are set will determine if the bike audio mutes 100%, 50%, or 0% while talking.

I was just reading Matts reply regarding the successful muse of the Autocom system on the GTL. I have an Autocom Super Pro Automatic. Will this work, as long as I use the connection cables you suggested? I understood you to say the microphones don't function with this set up. While I'm not concerned with cell phone usage, does the intercom system function?

Will

Back