• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp Cooking Burners

I still have mine; totally K.I.S.S. (which fits my personality)

It has moving parts, so partially K.I.S.S. :laugh

The pump was an add-on option for the old 8R. Without it getting the burner started on a cold morning could be interesting.

For totally K.I.S.S I'll stick with my alcohol burner even though it does mean I need to carry some denatured alcohol.

I have the Brunton Nova mutifuel stove,now called Optimus Nova I believe. The stove was built for hard backpacking,at high altitude!This thing will burn camp fuel, gasoline,diesel, jet fuel,...etc! It will withstand realy high winds compared to other stove,and is easily ajustable from simmerring to hard boilling to do any type of cooking!
Canister type stove don't work great at high altitude or when it's colder,sometimes won't even turn on at all, but are cleaner,and you can get some that are very compact!
When I bought the stove about 9 years ago for backpacking,pretty much every different manufacturer always suggested to use regular camp fuel in these stove as the primary but if you were stuck,you could use other type of fuel for back up!The main reason,was that the later type of fuel would be hard on the stove or clog up the system faster,and the stove wouldn't work to it's full potential.But from what I read here maybe it's not that bad!
One thing to remember is that some fuel burns hotter than others,so if you use different type than what it was tested with you might not get the same results as the manufacturer's!
All the brands that are mentioned in this forum are all excellent stoves! The one I have is pricier,but i wanted one that I can use in any situation,and at that time it was voted as one of the best by Backpacker magazine!
Sorry for the long story,Good Luck with your choice!

No, the Optimus 8R has a built in needle to clean the jet. You simply turn the knob which controls the burning rate and therefore the amount of heat generated past the full open position to the "clean" position and it raises the needle to clean the jet.

PT9766

Now, I am confused. I visited the Optimus website, and cannot find the 8R. They do have the Hiker+, is that the same thing? The Hiker+ burns all kinds of fuel, but they do not mention the needle you describe.

Can you clarify the 8R reference? Thanks,

But there is a lot of discussion in the reviews about the need to do maintenance (primarily cleaning the burners). This doesn't sound like fun while out camping. Of course the reviews indicate that if you use white gas this maintenance issue is eliminated, since white gas is supposed to burn cleaner.

Field maintenance usually isn't an issue, but if it's needed it's relatively simple and usually consists of cleaning out the jet with a needle (use the one provided by the manufacturer). Some stoves have the cleaning needle built in.

Anyone with this type of burner, how much maintenance is required if you use unleaded gas in these units? How much trouble is it?

Usually not much trouble trouble, at worst using the needle before lighting and after done.

The MSR options require a larger, though refillable fuel tank, but that seems would take up more space than I would like to give up. The refill option is attractive for several reasons. But the Coleman tank is refillable, too.

MSR liquid fuel stoves are sold separately from their fuel bottle and you have the option of using bottles from 11oz. to 33oz. This also allows you to pack the parts separately.

Stoves with tanks under the burner preclude the use of the Outback Oven, if this is an issue,

-- Justin

Now, I am confused. I visited the Optimus website, and cannot find the 8R. They do have the Hiker+, is that the same thing? The Hiker+ burns all kinds of fuel, but they do not mention the needle you describe.

Can you clarify the 8R reference? Thanks,

The 8R has been modified for multi-fuel and renamed the Hiker+. The box is black, not blue, the fuel tank is painted green, not brass and the pressure pump is standard, but otherwise the same classic stove. I see they also still sell the Svea, another classic. I have '70s versions both these stoves and they work as new, nothing like tested technology.

REI right now has a one time 20% off coupon for any full price purchase for members. They have other stoves but, I bought the Coleman 442 feather exponet(multifuel unleaded or white gas). Full purchase price is $79.95 minus $15.99(20%) = $69.24. I also had a rebate for 2010 purchases taking off another $46.66. My out the door price because I had the rebate was $22.58. If you are an REI member now is a good time.

Svea Mountain Stove

I have heard people talk about camp stoves of burners that use gasoline as fuel. The ease of carting gasoline in the bike's tank, and the basically endless supply of it in the tank, makes this sound like an attractive option for cooking. I have been using an iso burner that is compact, but that requires cannisters of fuel, which is definitely places the fuel in limited in supply and in bulky containers.

If you use a gasoline powered burner, can you share what brand and model you are using, and what you would use now if you had it to do over again? All comments and recommendations welcome.

http://www.auctionbandits.com/gallery/svea-123-swedish-camping-hiking-safety-stove.html

Svea 123- had mine since 1983. Several harsh winters in Germany, works like a champ.

I have an MSR XGK-EX. It a multi-fuel stove that will run on gas, jet fuel etc. It's reliable enough and would be the perfect stove for melting gallons of ice or cooking anything really fast. It is not terribly subtle for anything that needs simmering. It would also tends to convince the folks at the next camp site that you are cooking with an F-18 on full afterburners.

At some point I will probably replace it with a butane stove as I understand they are a bit less intense.

Back