• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Timetable

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
Does anyone have a timetable for a "hall of wisdom" There is tons of stuff that people can access sitting in the old files. Along with it, could there be a moe obvious search menu?
I know dont ask for things unless you can do them. Maybe if someone sets up the area, I could use the search and make sure articles are in the right place, or move articles to the proper place.

a FAQ for each model would be nice, I know IBMWR has one, but I'm a MOA member and want it here?
and how is the rummage sale section coming, I know IBMWR has one, but I'm a MOA member and want it here?
mark

Good idea. Perhaps PDFs of the old articles with a searchable database. Do you want them online browsable or only printable?

BradfordBenn said:
Good idea. Perhaps PDFs of the old articles with a searchable database. Do you want them online browsable or only printable?

Yes

We're getting there with the site split. We want to keep this kind of information for MOA members, so after we get the split done (Real Soon Now) we'll be able to start populating the site with exactly that kind of information.

Mark11LT said:
a FAQ for each model would be nice, I know IBMWR has one, but I'm a MOA member and want it here?
and how is the rummage sale section coming, I know IBMWR has one, but I'm a MOA member and want it here?
mark

Mark,
The FAQ for each model is a great idea, but we'll need a Content volunteer to put that together. Either to get permission from BMW AG to use the documents they have already created, or to compile our own from "public domain" info.

As for the "rummage sale" section, an on-line version of the ON's Flea Market is already part of the planning (short list). As Dave mentions, so much is waiting on the site split. We have some technical issues to work out there. I got a change to the 'MOA policies on web advertising passed during the January Board meeting which clears the way for members to place ads on the web site.

In fact, there's a lot of stuff planned for new content after the site split. We' really will need a lot more volunteers to help - especially with content. When we get closer I'll be posting notices and calls for help.

Thanks for the udate Greg, it is appreciated. Wish I were more computer literate, I would like to help.

We gots a plan!

lorazepam said:
Thanks for the udate Greg, it is appreciated. Wish I were more computer literate, I would like to help.

There will be a lot folks can do who's computer skills only extend to being able to type, or edit, or find leads to interesting articles or information, or contact people for permission to use things.

In a nutshell, our media efforts are coming together like this:

1. The web site will be split between members and guests. This will allow us to add a lot of member benefits (i.e. more content) and still make sure it goes only to members - as it should.

2. The Owners News and the web will be a lot more connected over time, starting this year. It will become our "news" organization spanning both print and web. This work is done by paid staff/contractors.

3. The non-news content will be known as "resources" and will be the responsibility of the volunteer Web Team. This includes thinks like an on-line "flea market", ride reports, bike model FAQ, camping info, compliations of info from the forum, etc.

4. The Web Team is already divided into a Technical Team and Content Team. The Tech Team has been up and running for some time - headed by Dave Swider. I head the Content Team, but so far the bulk of that work has been planning the new things we will be able to start on once the site is split. Then I can put together a real crew.

5. "Content" will gathered, edited, created, etc. by the Content Team who will then pass it to the Tech Team for actual posting on the web site. Division of labor. If you think you have tech skills contact Swider or Rob Nye - if you have ideas for content, would consider doing some editing of other's work, would like to be on a team to contact authors of old ON material for permission to put on the web site - stuff like that - then contact me.

Surpizing to many ;) we actually have a plan that Rob Nye and I have been working on for the last (over) two years we've both been on the Board (and had complete support from the Board). Others have helped - it's a group effort. Dave and the rest of the tech team keep the wheels turning on a daily basis and deserve a lot of thanks from the membership. :clap

Greg Feeler said:
In fact, there's a lot of stuff planned for new content after the site split. We' really will need a lot more volunteers to help - especially with content. When we get closer I'll be posting notices and calls for help.
Let me know if I can help. Consider this me volunteering.

Greg Feeler said:
2. The Owners News and the web will be a lot more connected over time, starting this year. It will become our "news" organization spanning both print and web. This work is done by paid staff/contractors.

Greg -- question, please. Does this mean that the BMW MOA will start paying to have content placed on the web site?

Ian

Visian said:
Greg -- question, please. Does this mean that the BMW MOA will start paying to have content placed on the web site?

Ian

No. Curretnly we have a paid conractor to produce the Owners News and may need to increase those human resources as the work load increases. But there are no changes to the sources of articles and news.

Back