• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 550 touchscreen quit working

beemermyke

Before I send my 550 off to Garmin for repairs, is there anything I can do to try and clear a problem with the touchscreen on the unit? None of the screen functions work. All of the normal pushbuttons function, but you can't select any options on the screen. When it boots up (first pic), the "View Map" button is highlighted. Pushing on "Where To" or anywhere else on the screen will temporarily highlight it until you let go of where you selected. If you use the selection pushbutton on the left side of the unit to make screen selections, it will scroll through normally. However, when you get to the map page (second pic), the Menu button on the screen does not work, and I notice that the biker is permanently highlighted. Is there any thing I can try to fix this? I did the usual "pop the battery out and try again" method, but that didn't fix it.

Attachments

• Zumo opening.jpg
    Zumo opening.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,160
Mine was doing that and I tried everything. From holding the power button down for about 10-20 seconds seconds till it rebooted to cleaning the screen with warm water.
Still had that orange locked up screen. Called Garmin Tech support the moment they opened up Monday AM and they walked me thru a test, a reset and then had me send it to them. Depends on how old it is on how they handle a repair or replacement. Mine had been replaced less than a year before for another issue. I got a new one back at no cost.

Nope. Tried the battery trick twice, but to no avail. Steve, I'll give Garmin a call first thing tomorrow. Looks like the warranty is one year. I just went to the MyGarmin and seems I registered it the end of April 2009. :banghead That makes the thing not quite two years old. Hopefully this won't cost me any major coin to fix this. Man... nothing lasts forever anymore.

Nope. Tried the battery trick twice, but to no avail. Steve, I'll give Garmin a call first thing tomorrow. Looks like the warranty is one year. I just went to the MyGarmin and seems I registered it the end of April 2009. :banghead That makes the thing not quite two years old. Hopefully this won't cost me any major coin to fix this. Man... nothing lasts forever anymore.

I think it cost me $150 to get the same problem fixed. I had two 550's and I kinda lose track, so to speak.

$150, and I got a new looking unit

My 550 started doing unexpected things about a year ago (at the age of 2-1/2). I called them, got a return authorization, and sent it in with a check for $150.

I was leaving the next day for MX, so I asked them to ship it to a waypoint mailing address. They did that, on time, so I had it for the trip to Banditland.

For $150 I got free shipping back to me, updated firmware, and fairly new maps. The unit sent to me looked to be entirely new.

Garmin has had issues with touchscreen life. The screen will start sending the processor false 'touches' and it gets worse, fast.

I was quite satisfied with their service and handling. I thought the $150 was somewhat high, but I don't know their costs.

The $150 is just their standard repair for a 550 out of warranty. The swap I did on my own was about $40 once you figure in shipping. digitizer and screen. Would have been $15 cheaper to do just the digitizer.

Reset

My Zumo's screen would go dark, not power up and/or freeze if the brightness was set at higher than 40%.

The owners manual says for a hard reset, hold the power button and plus key at the same time.

Before I send my 550 off to Garmin for repairs, is there anything I can do to try and clear a problem with the touchscreen on the unit? None of the screen functions work. All of the normal pushbuttons function, but you can't select any options on the screen. When it boots up (first pic), the "View Map" button is highlighted. Pushing on "Where To" or anywhere else on the screen will temporarily highlight it until you let go of where you selected. If you use the selection pushbutton on the left side of the unit to make screen selections, it will scroll through normally. However, when you get to the map page (second pic), the Menu button on the screen does not work, and I notice that the biker is permanently highlighted. Is there any thing I can try to fix this? I did the usual "pop the battery out and try again" method, but that didn't fix it.

I happen to be cleaning out the closet and ran across my zumo 550 quick reference guide.
On the last page it says to hold the power button for 1 minute and the Calibration screen will appear. Follow the on-screen instructions

Hope this helps

Tom

Yeah, I tried that, Bluegrasspicker. Wouldn't work because the touchscreen is inop. Thanks for that tip anyway. Looks like I need to call Garmin and cough up the $150 that I'll likely pay. Got a Georgia Mountain Rally to attend the end of next month! :thumb

Back