• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What to eat while in Bloomburg???

A

angysdad

Each area has a food specialty.
What must I ABSOLUTELY try while in the Bloomburg area? :eat

I think the area is more southern and eastern European than Amish.

Try:

Kielbasa

Halushki

Perogies

French fries freshly made ................. I think one of the vendors at the rally will provide them. The local potatoes are outstanding and are used to make Wise Potatoe Chips. The community event french fry stands are setup during high school football games and there are always long lines of customers.

Any family style dinner at the Brass Pelican 1119 Elk Grove Road, Benton, Pa 17814. I usually have their buckwheat ( all you can eat ) pancakes but the locals like their fish dinners. There sausage is made in Pennsdale at a well respected above and beyond butcher shop / general store. You may think that you are going to get lost getting there but this stop is in a remote area compared to even Bloomsburg. There is great GS riding on any of the mountain roads here.

For homemade Italian as good as Little Italy, inexpensive and prepared by a third generation Italian-Americans go to Franco's 450 3rd St, Nescopeck, PA 18635 * Careful with the portion size, I think they feed football lineman.

Most of the pizza in the area is great and prepared by third generation Italian families. Between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton in the town of Old Forge claims to be the best and those family places ran shops in Naples, Italy before coming to America. Its hard to say which is best, there are so many differant types locally. Some people rave others cringe, its what you like.

Or try White Pizza.

Berrigan's Sub Shop, 142 E Main St, Bloomsburg, PA 17815 has wonderful highly rated sandwiches , subs, hoagies .

And the hoagie vendor coming to our rally that I can't think of her name.

I had some really good stuffed cabbage and perogies from the area as a payoff from a superbowl wager.

No Amish?

I would look forward to finding some really old style, farm cooked meals:). Any family oriented things like this around the countryside would get my attention. Are the Amish folk into this sort of sharing and/or business??? I have travelled through the area many times in my life and find the farms the most beautiful found anywhere:). Randy

Randy, I don't know if there are Amish family resturants unless someone made a tourist trap to fool people. But there are many family style places in all directions. Those Mom & Pop places to Church suppers on Friday and Saturday evenings are good and plenty in the rural towns. There are many dinners and dairy bars for burgers fries and ice cream. The area is kinda like Wisconsin but with less cheese and downwind from Pittsburgh. :laugh

Some Amish live north and west of Bloomsburg, many are those that left expensive Lancaster County who only farm and make wood products. The sign on the road will give you fair warning and welcome you to the area.

*Rumor has it that a Post Card Pennsylvania Farm maybe be a pre-rally GS School..............I am not sure about the menu. :whistle

Most of the pizza in the area is great and prepared by third generation Italian families. Between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton in the town of Old Forge claims to be the best and those family places ran shops in Naples, Italy before coming to America. Its hard to say which is best, there are so many differant types locally. Some people rave others cringe, its what you like.

In Scranton I hope you go to Alfredo's Pizza Cafe and not Pizza by Alfredo. It's like eating a hot circle of garbage.

Each area has a food specialty.
What must I ABSOLUTELY try while in the Bloomburg area? :eat

Last year I was in Rhode Island for business. I arrived late in the evening and the only place still serving was a neighborhood bar with lot of locals, The menu of specials listed the typical burgers, pizza and such, but ended with New England Chop Suey. Being adventurous. I asked what is New England Chop Suey? The barmaid responded "Goulash". I said "Beef stew"?. She said, "You're from PA, I mean ground beef and onions in a tomato sauce with elbow macaroni". I was so impressed that she was so good with American dialects, I order that lunch room staple from youth with a beer.

Finally, I couldn't resist the urge and I asked her how she knew that I was from PA. She said it was easy. She was originally from the northern tier of PA and lived there until entering the military, so she knew the dialect. Of course, the fact that I was still wearing my employee badge, was also really helpful.........

So, order the goulash. It might lead be a good story and it wont kill you.

Last edited:
The best new resturant I like is Aurants. It looks like a dive bar from the outside but a 4 star decor resturant inside. The chef is great and has connections in the game industry. He told me they maybe offering Zebra.

:thumb I do know the wild boar is worth it.

Its about a 30 dollar dinner per person place if you add the bar tab. :hungover

Restaurant in Frackville . . .

I forgot the name but there is a good Penn/Dutch restarant there. Going w off of I 81 about three miles on the right. Good food.
See you there!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Back