• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Popped a wheelie on my R1200R this morning...

rfkneller

I wanted to get from the traffic light to the merge before the SUV next to me. The light turned green and I accelerated vigorously. Suddenly I realized that the front wheel was way off the ground.

I felt foolish because one, I could have done some damage to the bike and myself by basically being out of control. Two, I was riding in full touring mode with tank bag and saddle bags. Picturing it, it didn't look too cool to me.

I never lifted the front wheel with the R1150R. I guess that extra 20 hp does make a difference.

You're not alone. A fellow on the R1200R board reported that he just looped his...and totaled it. Went out and bought another.

I have had a couple of unintentional wheelies on my 2005 gs.
If I go full throttle in first gear and hold it, it will come up.
First few times is panicked a little but now it is fun. Too bad there are other cars on the road and I have to take it easy.

When I first had my 05 RT I did it a few times quite by surprise. There was a short hill entering my neighborhood and if I came in hot to get out of 4 lane traffic and gassed it in second, it would swing skyward. First time was one of those WOW moments and tried to not do it again.
My GS will do it, see others doing it all the time. I just don't like it anymore on that size of bike unless it's a jump over some obstacle move, the last time it didn't work out so well for me:banghead .
The K12S will do it without asking permission if you get greedy with the throttle.

I quit doing that on purpose about 40 years ago on my Honda 350, you had to pop the clutch to help it out :brow

When I first had my 05 RT I did it a few times quite by surprise.

Twin sons of different mothers. :wave
Banging hard on second on a relatively new '07 RT a couple three years ago. Caught me by surprise. Not that I seek it out but wow, nice grunt!

The K12S will do it without asking permission if you get greedy with the throttle.

I quit doing that on purpose about 40 years ago on my Honda 350, you had to pop the clutch to help it out :brow

I have had a K13S (which I ride with the spin control activated at all times since I'm not accustomed to the full power of the bike yet) and I've never accidentally or have been able to lift the front tire. When you did that with your K12S, did you have this feature de-activated or can it happen with it on? Just curious -- I have kids so I'm not looking to kill myself anytime soon.

Kent

My front tire came off the ground in second gear. I do not have traction control on my K12S. I was just playing a little to friskily on this wonderful toy. Didn't think I had it WOT nor did I think I had the throttle opened up all that long. Just thought me to be more aware with this beast.

Haven't and hope not to repeat with the R12R. Was fun with my first *real* motorcycle, a Suzuki 90, but I had to yank hard to get that front tire up. Took all 11 hp and a boy to do that.

I have had a K13S (which I ride with the spin control activated at all times since I'm not accustomed to the full power of the bike yet) and I've never accidentally or have been able to lift the front tire. When you did that with your K12S, did you have this feature de-activated or can it happen with it on? Just curious -- I have kids so I'm not looking to kill myself anytime soon.

Kent

Neither of our K12S's have the traction control option. It happens on ours when you are in first or second, roll off the throttle a bit for traffic or small farm animals and just as the suspension settles hit it a bit too hard. Now that I understand how much HP is available on those bikes compared to our R's, I am real gentle with the actions...until I am in third :D

I had the option on my '07 GSA, It wouldn't rev high enough to get in trouble with it activated so I assume the 13S is the same...or as "same" as you can get with 70 more HP!

Gsa'07;

I have played with the idea of popping the front wheel off the ground, but have yet been there on this GSA1200. It seems to have the grunt, but my desire seems to let me down before I get there:). I know I could have passed a feather under my front wheel a few times. I'm a chicken, maybe too smart too. If you ever ride S.Cal, you should keep an eye out for those crotch rockets on the freeways down there, as THEY will pop wheelies at freeway speeds(70+mph) and keep the wheel up for half a mile. Incredible to see. CHP usually impound these, if caught doing it. Randy

Neither of our K12S's have the traction control option. It happens on ours when you are in first or second, roll off the throttle a bit for traffic or small farm animals and just as the suspension settles hit it a bit too hard. Now that I understand how much HP is available on those bikes compared to our R's, I am real gentle with the actions...until I am in third :D

I had the option on my '07 GSA, It wouldn't rev high enough to get in trouble with it activated so I assume the 13S is the same...or as "same" as you can get with 70 more HP!

Okay, next question... anybody have some ideas on where I can find some small (road-going) farm animals? ;)

Okay, next question... anybody have some ideas on where I can find some small (road-going) farm animals? ;)

C'mon down , we have lots running open range between cattle guards on a few county roads. Goats, sheep, chickens and skittish calves:laugh:bolt

Attachments

• P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Now that I understand how much HP is available on those bikes compared to our R's, I am real gentle with the actions...until I am in third :D

With a K12S, 2nd gear doesn't wrap out until 90 mph. Who needs 3rd gear?

Back