• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2011 Anonymous Book?

This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home.

RobStar

Mine lives in my tankbag and goes along on every ride. It never sees a bookshelf until it's replaced with the next year's edition.

This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home.
I'm sure the MOA would be happy to let you write the app.

Mine lives in my tankbag and goes along on every ride. It never sees a bookshelf until it's replaced with the next year's edition.
Ditto. I consider the Anonymous Book as essential a part of my gear as my tool roll & tire repair kit.

--chiba

It will begin shipping early April, same time as last year. I keep the new one in the bike and move the old one to the truck. Don't leave home without it.

Anonymous Book

Darryl and I always carry the book on the bike. it has come in handy on several occasions in both ways, being helped and helping others.

Best tool in your tool kit.

Terry

I got mine today :)

Yes, mine lives in my tank bag - and last year's version goes under the seat on my other bike which doesn't stray as far from home.

Muriel

I'm sure the MOA would be happy to let you write the app.
There's no app to be written. The book is sitting in the MOA's computers (it's not typed out on a typewriter is it?) so making a PDF of it is a 1 minute job. A PDF can be read by number of smartphones, and on any PC/laptop.

I'm wondering about it too. I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.

This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home. RobStar

I pay for and order a second one. Each bike never leaves the garage without a current copy. Never had to use it yet, but I'd hate to need it and have sitting at home in the other bike.

There's no app to be written. The book is sitting in the MOA's computers (it's not typed out on a typewriter is it?) so making a PDF of it is a 1 minute job. A PDF can be read by number of smartphones, and on any PC/laptop.

I'm wondering about it too. I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.

Of course it is in a computer. For sure in the electronic format used at the printer. How it gets in that specific format I'm not sure.

And whether that format used for the electronic printing press is readily convertible into something a smart phone can use is an open question.

Any professional printers around who can answer that question?

I got mine in today's mail. The rear cover showed postage paid at Henry, IL, so it may not have had far to go. Hopefully you will get your copy soon!

The information is bound to be in one of about 3-4 commercial database formats which may well be contained in a overall membership management system.

1. There absolutely has to be a way to export the data in the equivalent of a tab or comma delimited format.

2. That data is imported and arranged in pages for a printer and sent to the printer likely via upload or on disk.

3. Many printers prefer a PDF file to print from but to print the book they may simply import the data as provided by the association and collate it on the fly

4. There is no doubt that it can be made into a searchable PDF file that could be distributed on the web for computers / smart phones / thumbdrive and made for viewing via the Internet as well.

Granted, not everyone has a phone or laptop on the road, nor are they 100% reliable as a physical printed book.

Printing, fulfillment and postage has to be a substantial expense to the association.

There may be reasons the association does not want an electronic copy which could allow sharing among non-members or allow others electronic access to their valuable database.

I'm only a 2nd year member and by no means do I mean this post to be disrespectful. I simply prefer electronic versions of printed material whether it's a manual, catalog or member list. I have a dozen or so multi-hundred page manuals for broadcast video cameras on my iPhone. With the cost of printing and postage, electronic distribution can be a cost savings and a income opportunity for the association as well. There's the green side of it too.

If the association wants a volunteer to establish viability of an electronic version, look no further!

:usa

Robert

2010 R1200 GSA

Of course it is in a computer. For sure in the electronic format used at the printer. How it gets in that specific format I'm not sure.

And whether that format used for the electronic printing press is readily convertible into something a smart phone can use is an open question.

Any professional printers around who can answer that question?
At the office it will just be a Word file or some other word processor. It can be a program that selects the members from the member database and makes some sort of file for the printer, but that's all the same. In the end, it sits somewhere on a PC and it's fairly easy to make a PDF out of it. If that would involve any complicated programming, I'd be surprised. And I don't say that as a layman. I'm in the database business for the past 25 years and this shouldn't be any problem. In the end it depends on how they organized everything but if you can make something the printer can print, you can make a PDF from it.

Obviously, something that you can search through on your PC of PDA is nice, but that would involve making a special file and/or an app for specific devices. A PDF is universal and can be read on 99% of smart devices with free programs.

I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.

ON is available on this site in .PDF all the way back to Nov-2009.
I used it today.

ON is available on this site in .PDF all the way back to Nov-2009.
I used it today.
Oh, that's great. I must admit I hadn't looked for it before, and when the question was asked, I assumed it wasn't available electronically.
Always nice to have handy on my mobile (I need something to fill up the 8Gb ;) )

I pay for and order a second one. Each bike never leaves the garage without a current copy. Never had to use it yet, but I'd hate to need it and have sitting at home in the other bike.

My newest bike gets the new one and my older bike gets the hand me down (probably should be the other way around).

Back