Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Anonymous Book?

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

2011 Anonymous Book?

Is it out yet? Seems like I got mine about this time last year.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyGT View Post
    Is it out yet? Seems like I got mine about this time last year.
    Bet you get yours any day now that you're looking for it.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home.

RobStar

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    Mine lives in my tankbag and goes along on every ride. It never sees a bookshelf until it's replaced with the next year's edition.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

Quote Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
    This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home.
    I'm sure the MOA would be happy to let you write the app.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGT View Post
    Mine lives in my tankbag and goes along on every ride. It never sees a bookshelf until it's replaced with the next year's edition.
    Ditto. I consider the Anonymous Book as essential a part of my gear as my tool roll & tire repair kit.

--chiba
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

It will begin shipping early April, same time as last year. I keep the new one in the bike and move the old one to the truck. Don't leave home without it.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Anonymous Book

Darryl and I always carry the book on the bike. it has come in handy on several occasions in both ways, being helped and helping others.

Best tool in your tool kit.

Terry

I got mine today :-)

Yes, mine lives in my tank bag - and last year's version goes under the seat on my other bike which doesn't stray as far from home.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Yep right into the tank bag. I try and give my old one to someone who is not an MOA member, yes they are out there, as a recruitment tool
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Heard they were going out 3/14.... should get it any day now. (From BMWOA's -Becky)
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    I'm sure the MOA would be happy to let you write the app.
    There's no app to be written. The book is sitting in the MOA's computers (it's not typed out on a typewriter is it?) so making a PDF of it is a 1 minute job. A PDF can be read by number of smartphones, and on any PC/laptop.

I'm wondering about it too. I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
    This book should be available either as a PDF I can keep on my phone or as an App as well. I'd happily pay for an electronic version since the printed version does me no good sitting on my bookshelf at home. RobStar
    I pay for and order a second one. Each bike never leaves the garage without a current copy. Never had to use it yet, but I'd hate to need it and have sitting at home in the other bike.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    There's no app to be written. The book is sitting in the MOA's computers (it's not typed out on a typewriter is it?) so making a PDF of it is a 1 minute job. A PDF can be read by number of smartphones, and on any PC/laptop.

I'm wondering about it too. I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.
    Of course it is in a computer. For sure in the electronic format used at the printer. How it gets in that specific format I'm not sure.

And whether that format used for the electronic printing press is readily convertible into something a smart phone can use is an open question.

Any professional printers around who can answer that question?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Long Gone
    I got mine in today's mail. The rear cover showed postage paid at Henry, IL, so it may not have had far to go. Hopefully you will get your copy soon!
    Chris

1973 R75/5, traded in on...
    2004 R1150RT
    1989 Yamaha Razz

The information is bound to be in one of about 3-4 commercial database formats which may well be contained in a overall membership management system.

1. There absolutely has to be a way to export the data in the equivalent of a tab or comma delimited format.

2. That data is imported and arranged in pages for a printer and sent to the printer likely via upload or on disk.

3. Many printers prefer a PDF file to print from but to print the book they may simply import the data as provided by the association and collate it on the fly

4. There is no doubt that it can be made into a searchable PDF file that could be distributed on the web for computers / smart phones / thumbdrive and made for viewing via the Internet as well.

Granted, not everyone has a phone or laptop on the road, nor are they 100% reliable as a physical printed book.

Printing, fulfillment and postage has to be a substantial expense to the association.

There may be reasons the association does not want an electronic copy which could allow sharing among non-members or allow others electronic access to their valuable database.

I'm only a 2nd year member and by no means do I mean this post to be disrespectful. I simply prefer electronic versions of printed material whether it's a manual, catalog or member list. I have a dozen or so multi-hundred page manuals for broadcast video cameras on my iPhone. With the cost of printing and postage, electronic distribution can be a cost savings and a income opportunity for the association as well. There's the green side of it too.

If the association wants a volunteer to establish viability of an electronic version, look no further!

Robert

2010 R1200 GSA