• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Please tell me about your Micatech experience.

mistercindy

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Micatech Pilots for my '05 12GS. I plan on getting them with the Michatech roof racks (LINK) soldered on the top of the bags. But before I lay down $1,400 I'd like to hear of others' experiences with them. Such as:
  • Customer service?
  • Any installation issues?
  • Ease of use (ie., taking them on and off)?
  • Do the racks and bags lock onto the bike well?
  • Complaints?
  • Extras from Michatech that you ordered or chose not to order.
Thanks in advance.

The product quality and customer service are both top notch.
During installation I screwed up on of the mounts. It was my fault, I failed to follow directions correctly. I called, admitted my stupidity and tried to oder a replacement. They sent me the replacement but wouldn't let me pay for it.
The bags are expensive but when you see the quality and fit, you'll know it was money well spent.
As an unhappy side note, the bags hold up well in the event of an accident. On a trip to Alaska I had an unfortunate incident and the bags saved the bike from major damage. One bag didn't fair well but it saved the bike from damage far greater than the replacemnt cost of the bag.

I got the smaller cases that they market for the F800. Great results from the ordering to the final product on the bike. The SW Mototech racks installed easily, just needed some patience on my part. I was going to add those racks, but decided to try without, and add something later if needed. So far, not needed.

They go on/off the racks easily with one thumbscrew per case and with a few QR bolts, the majority of the rack comes off as well. I got two full width cases in spite of the offset with the muffler.Hasn't been an issue. They lock to the racks rather securely with a notch and spool set up.

Not the best pic...

Attachments

• P1010071.jpg
    P1010071.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 505
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Micatech Pilots for my '05 12GS. I plan on getting them with the Michatech roof racks (LINK) soldered on the top of the bags. But before I lay down $1,400 I'd like to hear of others' experiences with them. Such as:
  • Customer service?
  • Any installation issues?
  • Ease of use (ie., taking them on and off)?
  • Do the racks and bags lock onto the bike well?
  • Complaints?
  • Extras from Michatech that you ordered or chose not to order.
Thanks in advance.

I just bought a set (large size) and put them on my R12GS.

Customer Service was awesome. They make them in batches as sort of an additional product at their machine shop (my impression anyway), so you may need to wait a bit for them to turn out a batch.

The installation isn't terrible, but not seamless either. Lot's of bits and pieces that need to assembled loosely, then tightened on the bike.

Not hard to get the cases on and off, but not as easy as the BMW stuff. Three knobs inside each case to remove.

Racks are bolted to the bike, not locked. Cases are locked to the bike indirectly. The knobs to remove the case are inside the case and the cover door locks to prevent access.

Complaints - Can't get the key into the seat lock without removing the left case.

Extras - I got the top hat racks, but haven't installed them. I'm not sure if I will. Haven't had a trip yet, but it looks like I can use the case handles to strap stuff across.

I don't have the side cases (mine are Jessee's), but I bought the Micatech top case. Great product!

I've had my Micatech cases for a couple of years now and really like them. I've got them on my R1200GS and they have held up with all the parking lot speed drops of the bike and one low side skid without much obvious wear and tear. Their customer service is great too!

As for the problem with unlocking the seat while the cases are on the bike, I rigged up a wire that I can pull on from below the 'below the seat' area - think about the area where mud would be flung onto from the rear tire. (automotive equivalent of wheel well.) The ends of the wire wrap around the mechanism that releases the seat when you unlock the seat. This way I don't need to use the key to unlock the seat.

I get a lot of crap for the size of the bags but it's nice to have enough room to pack what I want to bring and to know it's going to stay dry and secure!

Bought a set for my '05 GS and loved them! Let them go when I picked up my '10 GS so I ordered a new set with custom color doors to match the bike. (30th Anniversary GS) These are great! I can load the top with sleeping bag/tent and still get into the case to retrieve something. Try that with a top-loading case.

I can load the top with sleeping bag/tent and still get into the case to retrieve something. Try that with a top-loading case.

They are not unique in that aspect.... Micatech are fine cases and everyone I know who has them are quite happy with their choice. However, you can do what you desire with some top loading cases, too.

1139635876_LV6KS-O.jpg

The Top, with whatever is attached to the top, comes off my top loading Zega cases in about 3 seconds.

The Micatech folks were at the Finger Lakes Rally a couple of years ago. They did a great install for a friend of mine. Then when I lost a part of my own pannier racks, which I did not buy from them, they gave me a replacement part and would not accept payment. Very nice, classy people to deal with.

Back