• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nolan N90 or Schuberth C3

Just picked up a Scorpion exo900. really impressed. the next best fit for me was the Shoeberth...but it didn't fit $500 better. The convertible feature is really nice in the hot weather.

Schuberth site:

http://www.schuberth.com/us/products/motorcycle/c3.html

My main helmet right now is an Arai Profile full-face in white. I have a "long oval" head, and the Arai Profile fits so well it's almost sinful.

In a pinch, I bought an HJC CL-16 on the road after having problems with the Arai faceshield. That HJC helmet worked out pretty well, which surprised me.

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder if the Schuberth C3 would fit a long-oval head? I'm guessing it would not. There are no Schuberth dealers near me, so I imagine it will be a while before I can try one on.

It looks like a great helmet, if it fits correctly...

Harry

Well I went from the Nolan N103 to the Schuberth C3 this weekend and so far...here is my take.

The side to side viasability is much better!
The noise is less...for sure for me. Even when the face shield is not locked closed....I have less noise!
The drop down tinted shield is also much better and has better coverage!
After about 10 times on and off, I now have it down on raising the mod and lowering it with one hand and with ease!
It is noticeably lighter and for wearing a helmet for the long rides it has to help on the neck and shoulder!

Those are some of the plus's!

2 negatives I have so far and 1 of those is not the fault of the helmet!

1: There is an area that leanes up on the center of my forehead that after about 30 min leave a nice impression on my head. I will work on that with the old spoon trick and wish for the best.
2: I use the Sena SMH10 and when closing the Mod you have to be real careful with the location of the mic boom.

Thats it for now after 2 hours on the RT today!

Good luck with the helmet, Bar.

I dropped (actually rolled off my seat and I just think it hit at a weird angle) my Scorpion EXO-900 with the chin bar up the other day and it broke a hinge piece.. called Scorpion and they emailed me a replacement piece pronto, got it in a couple of days.. Good to Go!

No Schuberth.. but I like it!

Glad your good to go.....I was messing with the area where it was leaving an impression on my head and now the sun visor is kinda jammed!!! I'm so upset now!

Glad your good to go.....I was messing with the area where it was leaving an impression on my head and now the sun visor is kinda jammed!!! I'm so upset now!

SHIZZLE... think it is hitting inside from pushing on the foam? Can you slide something in there and push it back a bit? If that fixes it, you can then (CAREFULLY) melt foam away, using a soldering iron... or if the padding is too "bulbous" in that area I can show you how to "pull" it back with a leather stitching tool and thread. I've done that on cheek pads in helmets.

Let me know if I can help.

Well...I think I got the foam pushed back enough with a spoon as the tool. After all that was done, now the sun visor will not close 100% of the way...lmao!

Sharps rating

If you want to evaluate a helmet based on safety, check the UK SHARP rating: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/.

More expensive helmets are not necessarily safer. They should, however, be more comfortable. I've heard negative comments about the fit of Schuberth for some people - pressure on the forehead.

If you can, try each helmet on for at least 10-15 minutes.

I have the Nolan 102 and I would rate it satisfactory - no more. It is noisy.

I had the N-102 and looked at both the C3 and the N90.

Hated the N-102 due to poor build quality. The side flaps that hold the visor on the helmet would suddenly pop off and fly way while riding. I know we ride BMWs and have to have a spare final drive or shift linkage stored in the saddle bags but carrying back up parts for my helmet was unacceptable. :laugh

At the IMS show in NYC, I tried on the c3 and thought it fit nice but not worth the $$$. Went over to Nolan and tried the N90 and really enjoyed the fit. Plus, I thought the ambient noise was much quieter in the Nolan. Plus, I could almost buy TWO for the price of one C3.

I've had the Nolan since January. I rode to Florida and North Carolina already this year and the helmet really was very comfortable. Its the first helmet I've owned where the air vents bring air to your head in face. When I adjust the vents, I feel the air change in my helmet. I didn't feel that in my 103 or my Shoei helmets. YMMV

Well I ended up with the C3 anyway and so far so good exceprt that little issue with the sun visor not retracting all the way. When I go to the Rally in PA I will see if the tech at the booth can work on it.

Nolan vs. Scorpion vs. Schuberth

Well, everyone else has weighed in so I might as well. I just returned from the MOA rally where I tried on a Nolan N90 and it seemed very nice. I also tried on and liked the Scorpion EXO-900. Why am I trying on helmets?

I drank the Kool Aid and bought a Schuberth C3. I'm not impressed. Sure, the build quality is high, but this bit about it being quiet? I find it no less noisy than my Nolan N102 and more noisy than my Scorpion EXO-700.

As others have said, fit is the first priority. The Schuberth fits well, but not as well as my Nolan N102. I've tried a Nolan N103 and the shape is completely different and is impossible for me. My chin rests on the chin bar, which was difficult to close. Anyway, the N90 seemed to fit perfectly. Compared to the Schuberth, the Nolans are much easier to open and close. With gloves on, it's difficult to open the C3 with one had, while stopped at a light, for example. The Nolan's and Scorpions don't have this problem and are super easy to open/close.

Compared to the Schuberth C2 I used to have, the C3 seems to be a big improvement. The opening mechanism is on the front, rather than the side. However, for me, it hasn't been worth the premium it fetches in the market. If it were as quiet as I was told, then I'd like it. But the lack sound proofing (compared the others), the lack of operating ease (compared to the others) and the high price (compared to others) make it a no-go for me.

Again, I'd place the highest emphasis on what fits. But assuming fit is the same, I like the Nolan N90 and Scorpion 900 better for their features. My N102 has been discontinued, but the N90 seems to have improved on anything I would have suggested correcting. Between the N102, C2 and C3 flip ups, I can't tell a difference in the venting. For me, weight hasn't been a big issue, but it seems the C3 is the lightest, followed by the N102 and C2. I think the N90 is about the same as the N102 and the EXO-900 felt heavier. I'm off to look for empirical data now.

good luck, just posting my thoughts. YMMV.

I am returning a Nolan N-90 because the strap latching mechanism is very uncomfortable. I had been comparing the N-90 to the Schuberth C3 and was considering the C3 again. However, looking at the C3, it appears to have an almost identical strap latching mechanism. Are there any comparable helmets in either a flip-up or full face model that offer a double "D" strap latching system? Maybe I am old school, but I like the D-ring system on my very old Arai Signet.

Forgot to mention...

I like the ratcheting mechanisms, but have recently grown more fond of my D ring on my full face helmet. I hadn't thought about it til the above post, but it is more comfortable than the ratcheting mechanisms.

Between Scorpion, Nolan and Schuberth, Scorpion is the only one with a Double D ring fastening system. (Unless that's changed). The Double D ring also provides a nice place for locking your helmet to the bike which you can't get from ratchets.

I find it odd how a few people are finding the C3 noisy. I've owned several $500+ helmets and have borrowed many other. I've also owned a few sub $300 helmets and the C3 is quieter hands down. Even with the top and chin vent open it's still much quieter than others with comparable airflow.

I like the pinlock system for what it does but I hate how difficult it is to keep clean. If you don't use the right cleaner, right cloth, and whipe it just right it leaves either streaks or lint. Schuby recomends soapy water but I can't turn into a chemist every time I clean the shield and find the perfect balance of water and soap.

I've been using a non amonia window cleaner thats safe on window tint so hopefully thats good enough. It seems to work well with a lint free polishing cloth. Thats basically a micro fiber cloth without the fibers.

The ratchet mechansim is what it is. They designed it to close at about 30mph so if you don't like that get another helmet

Back