• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

just about got the r12r set up for touring

f14rio

5518976330_f88273e7c9.jpg

stuck some risers on the 'bars. like 'em
5518385649_1af94e2b4e.jpg

5518385709_20f3ba817a.jpg

5518976288_a13b1306f3.jpg

got one of those battery condition/volt meters. stuck it on the back of the windshield (for now)
5518385775_294d3b80d2.jpg

5519011958_e1ea5c2377.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set-up. Looks like a great, lighter-weight bike that's ready for any kind of touring!

Last edited:
Nice:)

Many happy miles and smiles coming with this rig, I'm sure:). Many "THANKS" to ya too, for whatever you did to earn that plate. I was looking at used R1200R'07 at my dealer the other day with really low miles and it looked like brand new. Tempting! Not sure I could warrant another, but did like it a lot. RandyGSA1200

Not sure what the previous two guys are recommending you do on your bike, rio! Nice setup on the R12R. One thing that comes to mind is conspicuity lights - front and back. I like reflecting tape on the bags, but active lighting such as 3-way hyperlights or other is good, and something along the lines of motolights or other generally received high ratings for safety.

Beautiful bike, ride long and safe.

Rio, how do you like that Corbin seat? I have an All Day Seat, and wish I had kept the BMW Low Seat that came with the R12R. The Russell puts me too high up, I am calling them tomorrow to see what, if anything, they can do about that.

I have the Corbin on my R as well and it does add a bit of height. Part of the height gain effect is due to the seat being wider. I imagine Corbin will work with you to keep the seat lower, but it was not an issue when I ordered.

Last edited:
{snip}...I am calling them tomorrow to see what, if anything, they can do about that.

Happened on my RT. I worked with the technician who built my seat and he modified the original build and took down a bit of the height and width. However, this was the last "free" alteration since the seat now varies so much from their standard build. Fine with me. Seat is now a good height and I'm a happy camper. RDL will work with you and, of course, being polite but firm help as well. These are good folks.

I spoke to Russell, and told them that I purchased the RDL used, and Russell's attitude is buy a new seat, despite the fact that they list modifications for $150 on their website. :scratch

Somehow the modification cost is for those who purchased the seat new. So if you spend $450+ on their seat, and it still needs modification, that will be an additional $150. Whew, what a business!

No wonder the seat requires modification. Wish I kept the original seat, it was as comfortable, and I didn't shell out $350 for it.

{snip}...Somehow the modification cost is for those who purchased the seat new. So if you spend $450+ on their seat, and it still needs modification, that will be an additional $150...

@gregfuess

Actually, that $150 is an out of "adjustment period" modification charge. The original purchaser is given 2 "free" (you have to pay to ship it back) seat adjustments within an 8 month period. If the seat still doesn't fit correctly, it can then be returned for a full refund. If you are the original owner, keep the seat, and it subsequently needs adjustment, the $150 adjustment fee is charged. Also, materials and workmanship are guaranteed for 18 months to the original owner.

IMHO, these policies are reasonable for a custom made seat. Seats are fitted to the original owner and may not be sized correctly for a second owner. The second owner's size might dictate a complete seat rebuild (different width, spring, foam, etc.).

There are some original owners who just can't be fitted to their liking; thus the return clause. There are others who object to the shipping costs associated with refitting. All valid issues. But there seem to be more folks who are pleased with their purchase and the level of customer service they are given at RDL. Count me as a fan.

You may want to inquire about an experienced individual in your area who might be able to make modifications and "fit" you in person...

Back