• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Thanks

Have fun on that Harley. :thumb

Thanks Rinty, getting close to my trip to California to see the bike! The Harley is a monster compared to my little Cafe. I enjoyed the nimble riding of the little 125 bikes we used on the course. Thanks everyone for the support.

Sincerely,
Shane

Little Taste

Here is a confidential behind the scenes look at one of the images Josh did in the studio, just a sneak peek for my friends.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 237
Submission to BMW MOA

Josh has been working on a narrative and getting some of the better pictures together so that he can submit it to the BMW MOA, wish us luck, if anyone knows anyone in the know over there, please put in a good word for us, we took two basket case BMW bikes that never stood a chance to be on the road again and our restoration took 29 months, Josh deserves all the recognition and applause for a job well done. I go see him and the bike in 8 days!

Thanks,
Shane

Hamming it Up on PCH

Josh being a little cheeky on PCH, looks like a great time.

He called me last night and said that a new Triumph Bonneville pulled up next to him last night at stop sign and the young guy started to rev his engine a little bit, Josh being a rather experienced bike rider was not going to let this opportunity go unnoticed, so there was a little British vs. German thing going on from one light to the next, well when it was all said and done and the British bike pulled up at the next light after Josh, all the guy said was "what do you have in that thing?" Now could it have been Josh's driving versus this other guy or the performance of the bike? I am not sure, don't really care, I am just happy the 41 year old bike and rider held their own.

Josh has submitted our story to BMW MOA, cross your fingers and if anyone can put a good word in for our build, that would be kind, the amount of hits that this bike received was tremendous. Thanks everyone for your support over these past 2 years.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 06-03-13_3 Cafe.jpg
    06-03-13_3 Cafe.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 156
I hope this picture is not part of the MOA submission! :banghead

And I also hope "squid" racing light-to-light is part of the break-in plan! :stick

Funny Stuff

I hope this picture is not part of the MOA submission! :banghead

And I also hope "squid" racing light-to-light is part of the break-in plan! :stick

Josh is holding all the good images close to his chest not sharing until the magazines we are entertaining have seen them, this one of the finger was for fun, I guess they had a great day shooting.

As for breaking in, Josh has put hundreds and hundreds of miles on the bike, adjusted valves and first oil change already, she is good to go and will be well broken in and all the kinks worked out before it makes it 2200 mile trip to North Dakota, I would have it no other way. He is adjusting shocks and tweaking things during his test rides.

Thanks,
Shane

Life

I LIKE THE ANTICS!

Keep it up, never grow old & responsible, even if you are responsible...

Someone much smarter than me once said, at the end of life you do not want to die all rested and intact, you want to die tired and worn down and beaten up, at least this way you know that you lived. Slide that bike in on its side on that last day saying "what a ride!"

Thanks,
Shane

Charles

Find what you love and let it kill you.
Let it drain you of your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness.
Let it kill you and let it devour your remains.
For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it's much better to be killed by a lover.?
Charles Bukowski

Attachments

• charles.jpg
    charles.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 152
Another Action Shot

Another Action Shot to share with my good friends.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 06-03-13_5.jpg
    06-03-13_5.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 144
Submitted

Josh has submitted some juicy images and storyline to BMW MOA, we are just waiting to hear back. Again if anyone has any friends or knows anyone who makes the decision, if you can put a good word in for my build, it would be greatly appreciated. I hope we have done you guys proud with our Caf?. I know they are not for everyone, but we did our best to make it our own.

Thanks,
Shane

Josh Enjoying the Bike

Here is one to start the weekend off. :) I get to see Josh and the bike for the first time next Saturday.

Attachments

• 06-03-13_3 Cafe.jpg
    06-03-13_3 Cafe.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 187
Confirmation of Story

Josh just received confirmation that our story about the bike is going to run in the next issue of BMW MOA, we are so excited, thanks everyone for the support.

Sincerely,
Shane

This is great news, Shane. Good old Vince; but these Dutchmen always get it right. I can mail you my copy, so you have an extra, after I'm finished with it.

Now that your bike is done, here's a pic of my "project bike", which was built by Dave Anderson, of Anderwerks BMW. The feature sheet is about two pages long:

DSCN0088-L.jpg

It took about 2 winters to build, and would do 212 km/hr at 4,500 ' ASL. We didn't paint the panels because it was my touring bike.

Fabulous

This is great news, Shane. Good old Vince; but these Dutchmen always get it right. I can mail you my copy, so you have an extra, after I'm finished with it.

Now that your bike is done, here's a pic of my "project bike", which was built by Dave Anderson, of Anderwerks BMW. The feature sheet is about two pages long:

DSCN0088-L.jpg

It took about 2 winters to build, and would do 212 km/hr at 4,500 ' ASL. We didn't paint the panels because it was my touring bike.

That is wonderful Rinty and your bike is spectacular, probably a little faster than I will ever have the Caf??

Take care and thanks for sharing and always following me.

Sincerely,
Shane

Silver

DSCN0088-L.jpg

PS: I am a little partial to that silver!

Back