• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Short Hiatus

Josh has traveled to Europe with his new bride for their honeymoon so we are just taking it easy for a week or two. I have ordered more parts and he should have some things to sort through when he returns. The bike should be black from coating when he returns as well as all the parts should be polished. Next step getting a rolling chassis and mockup before final paint!

Thanks,
Shane

Seat in Progress

Agustin from Autos International sent me over a photograph of the seat in progress. I am very excited to see how it is coming. His question was if I wanted the double white stitch on the chalk lines or nothing at all. I am going with the thread in these areas, I think it is a nice accent and gives the seat much detail, we will see.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 05-02-12 Leather for Seat in Progress.JPG
    05-02-12 Leather for Seat in Progress.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 281
Seat Complete!

I am so excited to share the custom seat by Autos International, just finished it up this morning. It matches the Porsche interior perfectly and with the metal welt strip, I could not be happier with how it turned out. If you have any custom leatherwork that needs to be done, go no further than Agustin at www.autosintl.net

Would love to hear feedback,

thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 05-03-12 Seat Complete.jpg
    05-03-12 Seat Complete.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
+1 WOW. Gonna look good on your bike and your bike along side your Porsche!:thumb

Mike H
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all the Thumbs Up guys, much appreciated. As soon as Josh gets back from his honeymoon, we will take the build to the next step. Thanks for all the support.

Sincerely,
Shane

Porches and BMWs

I love what you're doing. Your 356 is AWESOME.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from you, with newer versions of great cars and bikes. But who cares?

I don't have the time, money or energy to restore a 356 or older BMW, but I will admit to lusting after some older BMWs in the ON recently. Perhaps you can inspire me!!

My last comment is about riding skills. Do whatever you can to improve your riding. I am a good car driver and it has taken me about two years to be even close on a bike. The best school was the California Superbike School. Great experience and learnings.

I look forward to seeing your pics as your project unfolds.

Good luck.

Thanks

I love what you're doing. Your 356 is AWESOME.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from you, with newer versions of great cars and bikes. But who cares?

I don't have the time, money or energy to restore a 356 or older BMW, but I will admit to lusting after some older BMWs in the ON recently. Perhaps you can inspire me!!

My last comment is about riding skills. Do whatever you can to improve your riding. I am a good car driver and it has taken me about two years to be even close on a bike. The best school was the California Superbike School. Great experience and learnings.

I look forward to seeing your pics as your project unfolds.

Good luck.

Thanks James for your kind words and thanks about the riding time advice, I am going to take a local class and take it really easy going forward when I get the bike, I very much look forward to the day that I can take the bike for a spin. Thanks for following along and I hope we can insprire you to take on a vintage project! Take care and thanks again,

Shane

Josh's Review of Seat

Josh received the seat and he says "Stunning!", looks as good underneath as it does on the top. So happy we decided to stick with Autos International, they did an amazing job on the Porsche and did not let us down with the bike, even though bikes are not their main focus, mostly Porsche cars but it shows they can do anything.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 05-14-12_2 Seat with Josh.jpg
    05-14-12_2 Seat with Josh.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 217
Not sure where you live Shane, but i would love to see your 356 and if you need help breaking in your motorcycle project, I will volunteer :bikes

All the work and effort you and Josh have put in to your airhead project makes me both ashamed over mine , and excited to go further with it.

You guy's are an inspiration to us old farts who wish we had more money.
Time we usually have ( probably limited) but a lot shorter than we want to believe :brow

Thanks

Not sure where you live Shane, but i would love to see your 356 and if you need help breaking in your motorcycle project, I will volunteer :bikes

All the work and effort you and Josh have put in to your airhead project makes me both ashamed over mine , and excited to go further with it.

You guy's are an inspiration to us old farts who wish we had more money.
Time we usually have ( probably limited) but a lot shorter than we want to believe :brow

How are you? Yeah, please understand that I am very well aware of how fortunate I am to be able to do this bike and the car in the timeframes that I have. Some guys work on their bikes for a decade and I always want to remember how thankful I am to be able to pull this off financially. I also want to share with you guys that I have not been given anything in my life, my family has been poor or maybe middle class at best for generations and it is just this little company that I have been working on for 14 years now that allowed me such luxuries in life. I would have never guessed in a million years when I was a young man going to Business School and then Nursing College that this dream of owning my own company would come true. I try my best to remind myself every day and I never want to forget where I have come from or what it took to pull this off. I hope you get your project gets done someday in whatever fashion you want it.

Sincerely,
Shane

Sounds like you have your head on straight and your priorities in order.

Keep on posting about your motorcycle, I think i speak for many here when I say we appreciate it.

Back