• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Josh Now a Member

I am happy and proud to say that Josh Withers my builder is now a BMW Motorcycle Owners of America member. Welcome aboard Josh. This will be cool because now he can also post his comments and viewpoints to the thread as well.

Look for more comprehensive updates to the thread now that Josh is going to join the party.

Sincerely,
Shane

I understand your concerns about safety and the turn signals are LED lights, but really if I was so worried about these issues that are out of my control, I would not drive a bike in the first place

A few of those nit-picky little details, which are within your control ... and could be cited as infractions.

Spacing: the "visible edge" of tail lights on motorcycles shall be no closer than 15" apart: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi...E=49&PART=571&SECTION=108&YEAR=2007&TYPE=TEXT (all the way at the bottom of the page; Table IV).

Angle of visibility: Federal regulations require turn signals to be visible outboard from between 0?? - 45?? relative to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle; and inboard of 20??; e.g. the left turn signal must be visible from the right side of the motorcycle.

See: III. Discussion and Analysis, 1. Issue Regarding Harmonization of FMVSS No. 108 With ECE Regulation
No. 53 (ECE R53) for Vehicles With Less Than 4 Wheels

Specifically for motorcycles, prior to the compliance date specified by the August 2004 final rule, turn signals lamps are required to be visible through a horizontal angle starting at 0 degrees inboard (directly in front of the lamp) and continuing to 45 degrees outboard.

The final rule added a vertical component to the field of visibility and increased the horizontal angle to 45 degrees inboard and 45 degrees (area option) or 80 degrees (intensity option) outboard depending on the choice of visibility options. MIC's petition for reconsideration requested that, for motorcycles, the inboard horizontal angle match the requirements in ECE R53, which is 20 degrees inboard.

Note: MIC = Motorcycle Industry Council

But to hell with "the law", it looks like you intend to locate the turn signal(s) where it precludes anyone on the right side of you, for example, from seeing your left turn signal, and vice-versa. Probably not a good thing.

I've always ridden by old motorcyclist's golden rule of "ride like you are invisible"; but I don't think I'd care to tempt fate any more than necessary. With the single exception of the State of Indiana, "the Law" doesn't even require turn signals if a motorcycle was manufactured after 1973 (1956 in the Hoosier State), so if they're not visible, and doing any good, why even put them on?

Just my $.02

Cite Away

I am ready to pay any fines the great State of North Dakota cares to hand out. We may forget the turn signals and go old school and just use my arms to signal turning, not sure yet, but regardless, the bike will be back on the road where it belongs and it will be in better condition than I found it. :brad

Sincerely,
Shane

1927 BMW R42 with No Lights, What a Deathtrap!

I bet this guy is really worried about the light angle on this bike, oh, that is right, this bike does not have lights or turn signals for that matter. 85 years, still on the road and from the looks of it never in any sort of major accident. Against all odds to survive this long without modern day safety equipment. Fact is there are tens of thousands of vintage bikes on the road that do not have modern safety equipment or indicators. Always two ends of the spectrum, my bike just happens to fall right in the middle of both extremes. We have another option, I could have sidebags installed on the bike and fill them with road flares, and as I drive down the road I can drop them behind me as I go down the road to make sure everyone knows I am in front of them? Hope you can appreciate my sense of humor.

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• 000_0311.jpg
    000_0311.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 198
Other End of the Spectrum

I think it is only fair that both sides of the story are shared, here is a bike with a Christmas tree mounted on the back of the bike with reflectors and some sort of beacon system. The problem with this look is that you could actually have airplanes accidently land in your adjacent lane thinking your bike is a runway, another risk factor to think about. :)

Thanks again for humoring my this afternoon,
Shane

Attachments

• bmw_r75-5_cafe_racer.jpg
    bmw_r75-5_cafe_racer.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 191
I learned a long time ago to never park a British car or motorcycle on a wood deck, but a German one leaking oil? Please tell me that an older Triumph just rode off from that spot. :german

Thanks

I learned a long time ago to never park a British car or motorcycle on a wood deck, but a German one leaking oil? Please tell me that an older Triumph just rode off from that spot. :german

Funny stuff, I could not see the oil leak because I was blinded by the bright lights on the back of that bad boy, in the bike world it is called the "Las Vegas Effect" when your bike has way too many lights and indicators present and the person looking at the bike can succumb to medical photosensitive seizures.

Thanks,
Shane

I think it is only fair that both sides of the story are shared, here is a bike with a Christmas tree mounted on the back of the bike with reflectors and some sort of beacon system. The problem with this look is that you could actually have airplanes accidently land in your adjacent lane thinking your bike is a runway, another risk factor to think about. :)

Thanks again for humoring my this afternoon,
Shane

What do you mean, the stock configuration? I personally don't run signals (mine broke a long time ago and I just eliminated them, it does look better aesthetically) and use hand signals for turning, it works for me, but is probably not the best idea on my night commute on the NJ Turnpike.

The difference is I'm not a beginner like yourself who intends on taking MSF courses AFTER having a bike built. The other posters are just looking out for you and voicing their opinion, no one is forcing you to take it.

I personally like Mymindsok's suggestion of Frenching the taillight into the seat for streamlining, even though I didn't on my bike, but then again I'm not having someone else build a copy of their bike for me

I could have sidebags installed on the bike and fill them with road flares, and as I drive down the road I can drop them behind me as I go down the road to make sure everyone knows I am in front of them

I like it- please post video if you choose this route!:rofl

'ere ya go.. ...

This could work. There have certainly been a few times when I wish I had had it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BDJOEnuLPzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not So

but then again I'm not having someone else build a copy of their bike for me

My bike is not going to be anything like Josh's other than it will be a Cafe and has a BMW logo on it. I liked Josh and his aesthetic very much and ask him if he could do a bike for me to be a sister bike to my Porshe and I was lucky enough for him to be up for the task. As for a copy of his, that is the furthest thing on our mind and we have gone out of our way as to not copy his true original. If mine was going to be a copy of his, I would have not done the project. My bike is a rendition of my Porsche using the BMW as the canvas.

Thanks,
Shane

Perfect

'ere ya go.. ...

This could work. There have certainly been a few times when I wish I had had it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BDJOEnuLPzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is perfect Lew, thanks for making me smile, have a great Valentine's Day.

thanks,
Shane

On a More Serious Note

It is Valentine's Day and I had to post an appropriate picture for the occassion, maybe this wonderful photograph will take the focus off lesser things like tail lights, flares and the Moth Effect and put it back where it needs to be, have a great Valentine's Day everyone.

What does this picture bring to mind? Headlights anyone?

Sincerely,
Shane

PS: Josh gets credit for finding this picture.

Attachments

• Life-Helmet-Ad-from-forums.autosport.com_.jpg
    Life-Helmet-Ad-from-forums.autosport.com_.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 168
What that photo brings to mind is an extra wide roll of black background paper.

Nice rig too! :whistle

Can i join the fun?

Hello gang. Thanks to Shane, i am now a member of BMWMOA.
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I find all the comments and opinions informative and amusing. Keep em coming... both positive and negative!

I just want to remind everybody that this bike is for fun, and it is a cafe project.
This is NOT going to be a track bike.
It is also NOT a daily commuter. For that, i would recommend an entirely different bike.
A true cafe wouldn't have any turn signals at all. If you need to know the history of 'cafe bikes' you will learn that anything that could be trimmed off the bike, was ditched in essence of speed and simplicity (and probably because the British electronics barely worked anyway).

I'm truly having a blast building my 4th BMW for Shane.
I wish i could devote all my time and resources to the garage and Shane's bike. I have a feeling that when I'm done, it will be very hard to part with because i am going deeper and improving on things I wish i had done for my cafe bike.

Cheers everybody!

-josh

Welcome

Hello gang. Thanks to Shane, i am now a member of BMWMOA.
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I find all the comments and opinions informative and amusing. Keep em coming... both positive and negative!

I just want to remind everybody that this bike is for fun, and it is a cafe project.
This is NOT going to be a track bike.
It is also NOT a daily commuter. For that, i would recommend an entirely different bike.
A true cafe wouldn't have any turn signals at all. If you need to know the history of 'cafe bikes' you will learn that anything that could be trimmed off the bike, was ditched in essence of speed and simplicity (and probably because the British electronics barely worked anyway).

I'm truly having a blast building my 4th BMW for Shane.
I wish i could devote all my time and resources to the garage and Shane's bike. I have a feeling that when I'm done, it will be very hard to part with because i am going deeper and improving on things I wish i had done for my cafe bike.

Cheers everybody!

-josh

WELCOME JOSH, please join the FRAY! I think the thread will greatly benefit from your more technical and builder standpoint. I am very aware that I am building the bike with a checkbook and pen while you are building the bike with your hands and wrenches and knowhow. Lets just say I know my limitations and prefer to leave a quality bike and car build for that matter to the experts. I have been sharing your http://beemersandbits.com/ with everyone as well.

Thanks,
Shane

Ready for Powder Coating

Talked with Josh today and the frame and all the parts are ready for powder coating, he will have them sent off on Thursday. Very excited. I will have some pictures tomorrow of the parts that are being coated. Have a great week everyone.

If you have not seen the new show Renaissance Man on Velocity TV, you have got to check it out, Alain de Cadenet is the real deal and knows all things on wheels, including vintage motorcycling. I watched the show last night about the Goodwood Revival and racing a Lancia Ferrari, spectacular. I could just listen to the show just for the sounds it makes.

Thanks,
Shane

Back