• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Ikon Shocks

Eurotech Motorsports is going out of business and has everything 25% off so we pulled the trigger on some parts to take advantage of the savings, some new Ikon (the Koni equivalence) shocks to start.

Thanks,
Shane

The 7610 series shocks are for all twin shock bikes with conventional suspension.
Externally adjustable rebound with just a finger touch.
Spring seat adjustable in three positions with a progressive spring and a chrome finished body.
Fits BMW's
70-73 R50-R75/5
74-76 R60-R90/6
74-76 R90S
77-84 R60-R100/7 77-84 R100S/RS/RT
Not R65
13.1" long with a spring rate of 19/29/42

Attachments

• Ikon Shocks.jpg
    Ikon Shocks.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 290
1000cc Power Kit

Also got us some extra power for our Cafe Racer, 1000cc upgrade cylinders and pistons.

1000cc Power kit. Works with pre 1976(9/75) 750'S and 900'S. Bolt on performance with no machining or need to change your camshaft. You will noticed a 35% increase in power in some applications. You can build that total sleeper Slash 5 or the ultimate BMW Cafe Bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 1000 CC Power Kit.jpg
    1000 CC Power Kit.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 291
Josh is going to do some reinforcing of the frame now that we know it is straight and true.

Hmmm mm .. .. maybe just blow them off, clean up the frame, and fabricate a nice replacement structure?

document231.jpg

Regretfully I don't know who the fabricator of that set up is, I located the image googling "BMW Cafe rear sets". Too bad too, it's a nice detail I would have liked to credit the builder ... might be great spot of a Maltese Cross too!
icon_wink.gif

Here is the website where I found it.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=4053.0

The rear sets themselves are by Tarozzi

Edit - Just spent some time searching. The bike is an R90S built by Jon-Lars Sorensen. Featured in "Cafe Racer Magazine" 2001

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694813

Done8.jpg

Last edited:
Eye Candy

I ran across this photograph and I just have to share with all my BMW buddies. The build is going along pretty well, getting more parts all the time. Going to send the seat in for upholstery, we are going to have Autos International out of California, they will do the same leather and white stitch that we did in my Porsche for the seat,

Hope you enjoy this photograph, :nyah

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• BMW Girl.jpg
    BMW Girl.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Inspiration for the Seat

This photograph shows the seat design we are looking for, again you can look at the girl if you want, but this is more of an information photograph to show our details and thoughts.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Inspiration for Seat.jpg
    Inspiration for Seat.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 225
The devil's in the details... . .

I dunno Shane, we should probably leave "girls" out of a scooter discussion, girls are evil ( present women excepted ) and detract from getting stuff done.

This isn't just a personal opinion, it's a scientific fact. Here's mathematical proof.

Attachments

• girls are evil.JPG
    girls are evil.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 221
Guilty

Guilty as charged of losing focus. Sorry, a necessary diversion once and a while for the guys is what this thread is all about, not always metal, rubber and leather, what is the sentence for getting off topic, I am ready to serve my time. Thanks for keeping me in line! :buds

Really, that last picture of the girl on the bike is the exact seat look we are going for, it is going to be black with the white stitching, it is our seat inspiration photograph, so there was a little On Topic stuff going on, what do you think of the seat?

Thanks,
Shane

It's your thread Shane; you can take it anywhere you want to go. The seat is very nice, but there's something about that girl...

Almost 20,000 Hits

This thread is approaching 20,000 hits, very cool and a great number for being so early in the build. I only have 47,500 hits at the 356 Registry Build Thread for my Porsche and it has been online for nearly 3 years, the difference is that the guys out there did not like me for making an Outlaw, all the purists were frankly a bunch of dicks including the moderators and the board of directors and had no vision or ability to think out of the box. Getting my car into 4 car magazines sure gave the build a little justice and a stock 356 would never have received that sort of attention unless it was an extremely rare early model. I have always figured if you are going to restore a vehicle do it to your liking and don't look back.

So I want to thank everyone out here at the BMW Owners site for all your support and interest in my antics. Josh and I will do our best to make one unique bike.

Thanks again,
Shane :thumb

Excellence Magazine

And when it gets into Excellence, those guys will really be boiling...:laugh

Dear Rinty, how are you? Pete Stout the editor of Excellence Magazine was on the phone with me numerous times and promised me an article. When the car was finished and I got all that attention from the other magazines, Pete called and said that he would be an idiot to do a story on a car that has already received so much exposure and attention from his competition. I even had a photoshoot scheduled and a photographer lined up to go to the Badlands for Pete, his idea, and get some photographs of the car in our native countryside and he pulled the plug on the story. So Excellence Magazine is slow to the party and they failed to fulfill their promise of a story is how that went down, not so excellent if you ask me.:banghead

Thanks,
Shane

PS: I also did not renew my subscription.

Last edited:
Brain Bucket

I am doing some preliminary research for cool vintage type helmets and I think I found what I am looking for, they are retro and cool in every way if you ask me. They also have awesome vintage goggles and face masks for the cold mornings or the bugs to the face,

http://davida.co.uk/type.php?id=classic

I am sure most of you know of the Davida brand but it is new to me and their stuff is pretty damn cool.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 60412.jpg
    60412.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 253
Davida Website

Here is some text from their website:

These helmets have always looked "right". yes, they are evocative of the past, but they are fresh as well. When it comes to the crucial function of a helmet safety, Davida have satisfied many of the Worlds strictest standards, achieving ECE-R2205 certification, ACU Gold in the UK as well as certifications for the USA, Scandinavia and Japan.

Thanks,
Shane

Back