• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Shane, just an observation with regard to your "cable adjusters" and touching them up with a wire/polishing wheel ... I did this on my /5. Regretfully, the cadmium plating on them is not very thick; the wheel essentially removes it and they begin rusting almost immediately... :-/

DirtyScrewsLrC.jpg

Thanks

Shane, just an observation with regard to your "cable adjusters" and touching them up with a wire/polishing wheel ... I did this on my /5. Regretfully, the cadmium plating on them is not very thick; the wheel essentially removes it and they begin rusting almost immediately... :-/

DirtyScrewsLrC.jpg

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, I think Josh is replacing all of them or is sending them out to be refinished, he found a place that is going to redo them, I will pass along, nice to hear from you.

Thanks,
Shane

A day later and $80 out of my pocket and into the pocket of the guy who did this ÔÇÿunder the tableÔÇÖ and this is what I got.

I've been looking for someone that can, or rather will, do small batch cad plating. California is really tough on "platers" and most need to charge a hefty fee to cover their HAZMAT obligations. Want to share your source?

Source

I've been looking for someone that can, or rather will, do small batch cad plating. California is really tough on "platers" and most need to charge a hefty fee to cover their HAZMAT obligations. Want to share your source?

Here is Josh's Response to your request for the source:
Fine Quality Metal Finishing in Long Beach.
but the rate usually starts at $85 and up.

Custom Cables

Josh is sending our old ugly cables in to have custom ones made for the bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 02-11-13_1 Cables.jpg
    02-11-13_1 Cables.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 281
Official

It is official, the emblem has been placed officially on the tail of the bike, big moment for us and the build.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• emblem.jpg
    emblem.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 230
Customer Battery Cables

Josh did another one of his tech write-ups,

http://beemersandbits.com/2013/02/c...paign=Feed:+BeemersAndBits+(Beemers+and+Bits)

Here is a new photo to share, I have my vacation with my family scheduled for mid June and that is when the unveiling of the bike will be, we are going to Southern California, I will get to meet Josh for the first time and see the bike for the first time.

thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 02-23-12_7.jpeg
    02-23-12_7.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 141
Just a suggestion, might have tried a copper or brass tube bent up real cool. Looks like it's gonna be on the road soon. Great work.

Last edited:
Will that crankcase breather set up trap oil that comes up out of the crankcase? The way the breather works is that as the pistons head towards BDC, the increase in air pressure inside the case has to go somewhere, so out the breather, carrying with it any oil mist that is kicked up by the spinning crank. But when the pistons return to TDC, the breather shuts off, allowing no air in. Your setup looks like it's designed to filter the air that is sucked back into the engine...which doesn't happen.

Back