• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Hey, that thing is starting to look like a motorcycle!
That is going to be a beautiful machine. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.
Three years, huh? I guess patience really is a virtue...

Yep

Hey, that thing is starting to look like a motorcycle!
That is going to be a beautiful machine. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.
Three years, huh? I guess patience really is a virtue...

Yes, I learned the value of patience with the restoration of my Porsche 356. That took 2.5 years to complete. I enjoy the process so much of making decisions, ordering parts and all that goes into the build, I missed the process so much after the Porsche, I started the BMW 1 month before the Porsche was even done because I knew it was coming to an end. Thanks for following!

Thanks,
Shane

Shane,

Your bike should belong in a museum - it will definitely be a head turner!

If Steve Jobs were still around, he'd make a comment about the alternator connectors looking the way they do. Apparently the insides of his computers had to look just as sharp as the outside (even though most everyone couldn't pry them open!).

You've gone this far - how about spiffing up what's under the front chest?

Shane and Josh; I enjoyed the pic of Josh up on the bike with a big grin. Can imagine the look on his face when the bike fires up. Probably in a matter of days or weeks I'm guessing! We're getting closer to that Spring Month for riding round here!:)

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Gray Wire Ties

Josh and I are trying to think about everything, even the wiring tires, special order gray instead of black, hopefully our attenion to detail will show in the end.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• grey wire tires.JPG
    grey wire tires.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 261
Thanks

Shane,

Your bike should belong in a museum - it will definitely be a head turner!

If Steve Jobs were still around, he'd make a comment about the alternator connectors looking the way they do. Apparently the insides of his computers had to look just as sharp as the outside (even though most everyone couldn't pry them open!).

You've gone this far - how about spiffing up what's under the front chest?

Yeah, certain things I do not worry about too much, this will not be a show bike or a trailer queen, I will drive it, it will get worn, dirty, and get the occassional chip, at least when my kids inherit the bike some day they will know who put those chips on the bike. When I was restoring the Porsche a guy had mentioned about a small dent in the gas tank and a couple of imperfections that we did not remove, and I thought then, it is part of the history, this is not a new bike, never could be new again no matter how hard we try, I am a perfectionist when it comes to certain things an then other things do not bother me.

Thanks,
Shane

Progess Continues

Josh has made a vow that he is going to work on the bike every day, not matter how small of a job, he wants to do something with bike every day until complete, ordered some more small bits and some air filters this week, some emblems and gas lines. He is going to have custom made brake and gas lines made from the looks of it, he wants to make sure the measurements are perfect, stainless lins should be cool looking as well.

http://beemersandbits.com/2013/02/b...paign=Feed:+BeemersAndBits+(Beemers+and+Bits)

He found a video and wanted to share,

Thanks,
Shane

Less writing, more building....

BTW, wouldn't things go quicker if the bike were upright?
headscratch.gif

attachment.php

Just kidding, of course.... can't wait to see pics of this fellow on the road.
icon_wink.gif

Less writing, more building....

BTW, wouldn't things go quicker if the bike were upright?
headscratch.gif

attachment.php

Just kidding, of course.... can't wait to see pics of this fellow on the road.
icon_wink.gif

Indeed, you know that laying on it's side like that is just gonna scratch it up!

Anyhow, gotta fly now...

Got a crick in my neck and have to go see the chiroquackter...

That's gonna be one fast ride. One liter engine in a short wheelbase chassis?, light weight, yer gonna have to hang on. Looks really great.

On Its Side

Indeed, you know that laying on it's side like that is just gonna scratch it up!

Anyhow, gotta fly now...

Got a crick in my neck and have to go see the chiroquackter...

Funny, we had to put the bike on its side because the wiring ties in the previous picture where on their side as well, Josh could not figure out how to attach them to the bike without having the first put the bike on its side. ;)

Thanks,
Shane

More Progress

Josh is working on the bike every day, no matter how little the task, something is getting buttoned up every day! Did some work on the handlebars.

Attachments

• 02-05-13_1.jpg
    02-05-13_1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 146
Carbs

Carbs coming together. They sure and the hell do not look like they are 40 years old.

Attachments

• 02-05-13_2.jpg
    02-05-13_2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 148
Yes

North Hollywood?

Looks like you're on schedule to be riding it this summer.

Thanks Rinty, how are you? Yes, North Hollywood did the Speedo for the bike. Definately unveiling this spring, Josh will put some miles on it, to make sure everything is sorted and then I am going on a vacation with my family to California in June and I will meet Josh for the first time, spend the afternoon with him and the bike and then he will ship it back to North Dakota, getting very excited. Thanks for always following my projects, you are the best.

Thanks,
Shane

Back