• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

The paper filter element will make a nice wick. :whistle

Oil mist will eventually saturate the element and start to drip onto the top the transmission. Keep an eye on it.

Been there; done that. It will end up messy.

I'm also building a cafe bike and incorporating an "oil catch can".

"oil catch can".

aka; PUKE TANK

Just make sure the catch tank has a breather ... or you'll be right back where you started.
icon_wink.gif

On the positive side Shane. WIthout the attendant "elbows" associated with the original carb/air cleaner set up, checking the catch tank won't be overly troublesome.

A little inspiration > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653165

About as far aft that you can get a crank case breather vent...

breather3.JPG

Exhaust Hangers

Josh made a couple of exhaust hangers for the bike, fabricated out of aluminum just for mockup, made out of steel for the finished product,

Thanks everyone,
Shan

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 158
Custom Cables

What do you boys and girls think of some custom cables for the cafe?

Attachments

• 03-12-13_1 Cables.jpeg
    03-12-13_1 Cables.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 109
What do you boys and girls think of some custom cables for the cafe?

The cables look great, Shane. Have Josh make up a second set, for spares. :D BTW, you'll want to keep the pivot thingies at the ends, nicely greased. If you don't, they will break in one of your remote, and scenic, places in the Dakotas. :)

Understood

The cables look great, Shane. Have Josh make up a second set, for spares. :D BTW, you'll want to keep the pivot thingies at the ends, nicely greased. If you don't, they will break in one of your remote, and scenic, places in the Dakotas. :)

Thanks Rinty, I have taken a note, much appreciated my friend.

Sincerely,
Shane

Josh put electricity through the bike yesterday, just waiting to see a picture of the headlight on!

I was going to edit my post, but you beat me to it: the cables are actually quite reliable; just keep an eye on the ends for fraying.

Exciting

Now if this image does not get your airhead juices flowing, I am not sure what will,

The reveal date is the week of June 11th! I will being traveling to Southern California to meet Josh for the first time and to see the bike!

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-22-13.jpg
    03-22-13.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 362

Been there... broke that... now have plenty of "dry lube" around as a regular maintenance precaution. Bad sign when you see your cable starting to fray and you are still 90 clikcks from home. And the project, Shane - a work of art! Love watching the progression.

Back