• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Porsche Silver

Indeed. :) Is yours Arctic Silver or Polar Silver?

And I send you a pm.

My bike is the same color as my car, the historic K45-286 (356 No. 1) Silver from the spring of 1948, I got the paint codes from the curator in Stuttgart. The bike is a sister bike to the car.

Thanks,
Shane

356 No. 1)

Is that the Gmund Coupe? No common Polar or Arctic Silver for you. :ha

I'm going to re read your restoration account.

...your bike is spectacular, probably a little faster than my cafe...

Thank you - I loved that thing, and had it about 15 years. I wasn't on it when we hit that speed - I was on a buddy's GSX - R, and he was right behind me on the RS. We were in a remote part of the Front Ranges, west of here.

Unveiling Weekend

Well I am happy to report that I was able to meet up with Josh and meet him and see the bike for the first time, all I can say is EPIC!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151733815347533&set=vb.750127532&type=2&theater

We got to drive around PCH for a bit and go over the Deus for a quick visit. Had a bite to eat, were going to go back to his house to go over more of the details for the bike but I was having so much fun driving, we figured lets drive some more and we can work out other details later, so we did. Even had the old girl on the freeway for a couple of miles, it was so fun, the bike is amazing, has a bunch of power and I could not be happier. Josh is the man in my book.

Thanks,
Shane

Transport Question

So guys, help me out, need to truck the bike in a covered vehicle from Culver City, California to Bismarck, North Dakota, any recommendations on what service to use?

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks

Appreciate the information, been calling around today, found a place AA Motorcycle Transport that will transport it in a covered Trailer for $550 from Culver City to Bismarck, the bike just needs to be under 800 lbs. which my Cafe has no problem qualifying!

Thanks again,
Shane

Shane:

I would suggest you speak with the dispatcher, and ask them to secure the bike with heavy duty straps. You don't want this happening:

r1200st%20006-L.jpg

My packers (who, in fairness, were helping me out, and were not professional transportation guys) used straps from the local home hardware, and they chafed through.

Anyway, you're lucky you don't have to ship internationally, and I'm looking forward to pictures of the bike in your scenic home state.

Damn

Shane:

I would suggest you speak with the dispatcher, and ask them to secure the bike with heavy duty straps. You don't want this happening:

r1200st%20006-L.jpg

My packers (who, in fairness, were helping me out, and were not professional transportation guys) used straps from the local home hardware, and they chafed through.

Anyway, you're lucky you don't have to ship internationally, and I'm looking forward to pictures of the bike in your scenic home state.

That is a bit scary, I will be sure that they have it secure, Josh will be there to unload it and his labor of love will make it in once piece, I can assure you of that, the bike is so incredible and I could not be happier, I have some photographs to share shortly, they are juicy!

Thanks,
Shane

If this were my bike, I'd either ride it home or put it in the back of a truck and drive it with my own hands - most of the transport companies are good at what they do but for a bike like this . . . me thinks I'd be in charge.

Thanks

If this were my bike, I'd either ride it home or put it in the back of a truck and drive it with my own hands - most of the transport companies are good at what they do but for a bike like this . . . me thinks I'd be in charge.

Thanks for your concern, you are very kind with your compliment, it will arrive in one piece, I will be sure of it.

Thanks,
Shane

Back