• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

The engine is beautiful, but remember, when properly used, the front cover is for killing bugs, and the valve covers limit your turning radius.:gerg:

Wow!

Really a rolling work of art (OK rolling on a skateboard for now, but still .... :) Maybe I missed it, but did you clearcoat or otherwise put anything on that nice shiney aluminum so that it stays that way?
Bruno

Yes

Really a rolling work of art (OK rolling on a skateboard for now, but still .... :) Maybe I missed it, but did you clearcoat or otherwise put anything on that nice shiney aluminum so that it stays that way?
Bruno

Dear Bruno, yes, the shiny bits have been clear coated so they stay that way as long as possible. Vapor blasted the heads and carbs to get them a nice new look, amazing technology and very inexpensive to do, I think the carbs were $40 to vapor blast both of them.

Thanks for following my antics,
Shane

One full liter

This thing is going to be a rocket. You're going to love those big bores.

The break-in, as I'm sure Josh knows, is CRITICAL, and basically "sets" the amount of oil the engine will use over its life.

Tom Cutter, Snowbum, and others - to especially include this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm -- (from our very own site, Links and References. . . ) give CORRECT INFORMATION about the break-in. You can definitely start a fight around this issue, but judge the sources for yourself. This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile, brother, and a lot more is known about the process of break-in these days.

If you don't want to read it all, just remember to ride the hell out of it, and back-off the throttle frequently. Frequent oil changes during break-in.

Walking Eagle

I have been waiting for someone to bring the toes up.
Cute they certainly are , BUT :

Now we need to see the lovely lady attached to those toes :dance

I think it's only appropriate since Shane started the thread with the beautiful women & BMW's in the first place.

Thanks

This thing is going to be a rocket. You're going to love those big bores.

The break-in, as I'm sure Josh knows, is CRITICAL, and basically "sets" the amount of oil the engine will use over its life.

Tom Cutter, Snowbum, and others - to especially include this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm -- (from our very own site, Links and References. . . ) give CORRECT INFORMATION about the break-in. You can definitely start a fight around this issue, but judge the sources for yourself. This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile, brother, and a lot more is known about the process of break-in these days.

If you don't want to read it all, just remember to ride the hell out of it, and back-off the throttle frequently. Frequent oil changes during break-in.

Walking Eagle

One of the benefits that Josh has of restoring this for me is that he has the honor of breaking the bike in properly. This is not like a car, if my Porsche broke down on the road, I would be find and just roll to the side of the road, if something goes wrong with the bike, that is another story and Josh wants to make sure everything is sorted and that he as a much more experienced rider is the one to do it for me, I am honored that he does this for me and it is his hard work that put the bike back on the road, so it is only fitting that he breaks the bike in for me.

Thanks,
Shane

Heidi

I have been waiting for someone to bring the toes up.
Cute they certainly are , BUT :

Now we need to see the lovely lady attached to those toes :dance

I think it's only appropriate since Shane started the thread with the beautiful women & BMW's in the first place.

The beautiful toes that you guys are all admiring are those of Heidi, Josh's wife. He checks in on this thread so I will leave it up to him to post a picture of his wife if he wants to. The motor looks spectacular and should perform as well as it looks, we have done it proper with a true expert doing the rebuild.

I also wanted to say "THANK YOU" to everyone following my thread, we just hit 80,000 hits, amazing! :brad

Thanks,
Shane

Carbs

A couple of quick updates, here is a picture of the carbs post vapor blasting, look pretty good. Talked with Bill down at Hamilton Classics and the paint process is well on its way in the primer stage.

Thanks for continuing to follow,

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• 10-25-12_1 Vapor Blasted Carbs.jpg
    10-25-12_1 Vapor Blasted Carbs.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 176
Wheels Mounted

Well it is finally starting to look like a bike again! :buds

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 133
Waiting on Paint

We are waiting on the tins to come back from paint and assembly will begin in earnest.

Thanks for following,
Shane

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 496
Bings

I just LOVE the look of Bings, except for ONE thing: The little 24mm dia. top-area that simply cries out for an enamel BMW logo badge, or maybe a little yin-yang badge, or something to make them look really great. Once you start looking at what is out there and available (or have a custom badge done by a jeweler), you'll find the right one, or it will find you!

Somehow, that top-part manages to look crappy without either adding something (such as a badge), or polishing hell out of it - I've got some blue/white rondels on order right now.

Walking Eagle

Back