• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

You Got it Lew

How are you, the picture you provided is perfect, that is the era for sure, too cool, thanks for the tip. Sorry to have so much of this thread about a helmet but for me it is all part of the build, love the goggles also.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• wu2.jpg
    wu2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 236
I have two classic Bucos modernized by Justified Defiance.
They are not DOT 101 standards but good helmets nevertheless with close to DOT protection. Much better than a novelty but not as thick as a modern helmet. It's your brain and you decision.

Last edited:
Having thrown all that Magnum stuff up.... the rider of that Wunderbike might be wearing a 3/4 "shorty" with leather ear flaps... ala the Buco "Guardian" another favorite back in the day (sooo tired of that phrase).... kind of hard to see with the deep shadow.

DSCF8668.jpg

Remember what I wrote about Asian collector helmet market?

check it: http://ap3.aucfan.com/sekaimon/search1/list/?q=ヘルメット buco&c=&l=&u=

Eurotech Motorsports is going out of business and has everything 25% off so we pulled the trigger on some parts to take advantage of the savings, some new Ikon (the Koni equivalence) shocks to start.

Thanks,
Shane

The 7610 series shocks are for all twin shock bikes with conventional suspension.
Externally adjustable rebound with just a finger touch.
Spring seat adjustable in three positions with a progressive spring and a chrome finished body. 13.1" long with a spring rate of 19/29/42 SNIP!

I just wanted to leave a comment, because I installed a pair of Koni 7610 shocks on my bike last season.

I installed them at the recommendation of Dave Gardner, a well respected Airhead wrench and have been disappointed with them from day one.

Ikon 7610 Shock really is an exact replication of the old Konis', warts and all. One of the nice features is that you can use the included wrench to stiffen the shocks if/when you increase your load. OTOH all that does is compress the springs. If a rider wants/needs to adjust the valving for spirited riding or changed road conditions, you can do so by turning the numbered wheel at the top of the shock's body.

That system works great if all you need to do is compensate for wear but when you hit the twistys and want to wick things up, all that happens as you dial the numbers up, is that the shock's become harsher and harsher. Theres an extreme lack of compliance in the Koni's valving and sometimes you simply have to slow down or take a break. The shocks are that harsh and unpleasant to ride.

The Season before I switched to Koni's, I ran Progressive Shocks for a little while. Thats a very affordable shock but it's also one that notorious for having poor rebound. What it does seem to have is a better spring rate, plus its about 1/2" longer than the stockers, which raises the rear end and improves an Airhead's handling quite a bit. I installed mine a few days before a transcontinental ride to the MOA Nationals and they were completely shot by the time I got back to the West Coast. Yeah, they were a bit fluBby but they rode and handled better that an Ikon/Koni ever will.

What I/you/we really need is a shock that allows you to adjust the spring rate along with the damping and rebound and to get those features, you'll need to look into more modern, higher tech shocks, more expensive.

I would suggest that you guys look into Wilber's, Ohlin's or YSS shocks in about +1/2" Length. If you're really going to ride that bike, you're probably going to want to be able to balance your rear suspension with the relatively soft Airhead front forks and to do that, some modern technology will help a lot!

FEB82010048-1.jpg

PS: Those Davida helmets are great for photo ops but I wouldn't trust my life to one. Not in a million years!

Last edited:
Leather and Stitching Sample

We received the sample of the leather from Autos International. Augustine is going to use the same exact leather and white stitching on the seat. It is usually standard on Porsche Speedster seats to have the piping or welts as some call them, I am not a fan and we did not use them on the Porsche and since I want these two vehicles to match in every way, we will not go with it for the seat either. I have certain opportunities to marry the car and the bike and the obvious thing is paint colors and white race stripe, but I think the leather seat is going to be another one of those situations where I can have the bike mimic the car and bring them closer together from a design standpoint. I know it is alot of thought about little details but it is all about the details and I have to be honest, it is the part about the restoration that I enjoy the most, thinking about and debating every last little detail, since I am not getting my hands dirty and am restoring this bike with a pen and a checkbook, the conceptual ideas and thoughts that I have is all I can offer to the party if you know what I mean. So here is a picture of the leather and I previously posted our seat inspiration photograph so that is where we are at right now. Thanks for all the good comments and feedback guys, I definately will not be buying one of those helmets that is not DOT approved, but they do have some that are and I will go with a more 70's look and feel.

Thanks for continuing to follow my antics,
Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• 12-6-11 Leather Seat Samples.jpg
    12-6-11 Leather Seat Samples.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 178
Porsche Seats

This gives you an idea as to my cars interior for comparison,

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 06-23-10_8.jpg
    06-23-10_8.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 314
Chrome Seat Accent

Can anyone give me any ideas where to get this chrome accent piece for the seat we are upholstering?

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• photo16299notes.jpg
    photo16299notes.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 289
Eurotech Motorsports is going out of business and has everything 25% off so we pulled the trigger on some parts to take advantage of the savings, some new Ikon (the Koni equivalence) shocks to start.

Did you get your shocks? I ordered a pair as soon as I saw your post, got the order confirmation email, and when I didn't get shipping info after a week, I followed up.

Eurotech said they did not have the shocks in stock, and were not sure they would be able to fill the order ....

Barron

Nope

Did you get your shocks? I ordered a pair as soon as I saw your post, got the order confirmation email, and when I didn't get shipping info after a week, I followed up.

Eurotech said they did not have the shocks in stock, and were not sure they would be able to fill the order ....

Barron

Same story for me, they shipped some of the parts but not all of them, said they are backordered and since they are going out of business will not fill the rest of my order, I received 1 pushrod tube instead of the 4 I ordered, I knew it was a gamble with a company going out of business, so I will have to source somewhere else.

Thanks,
Shane

I've got to give them a call today as half my order was backordered, but the still charged me for the whole thing, anyone get a refund yet for the parts not received?

I've got to give them a call today as half my order was backordered, but the still charged me for the whole thing, anyone get a refund yet for the parts not received?

I do not believe that is legal. They should not charge you for parts not shipped. With a company going out of business, I would get that cleared up right away.

Assuming (always dangerous) you used a credit card.... call your bank immediately and request a "charge back".

Eurotech

They proved to me that they did not charge for items not sent, so I am going to have to find 3 more pushrod tubes and the shocks somewhere else.

Thanks,
Shane

Rear Sets Welding

Josh and a buddy did some welding on the rear sets of my bike. They were not very sound and they have rewelded and reinforced everything very nice. Here are some pictures of before and after.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 12-13-11_1 Rear Sets Welding.jpg
    12-13-11_1 Rear Sets Welding.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 183
Thanks

Thanks for the compliment on the welding.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get a piece of trim for the seat, see previously in the thread, any ideas would be appeciated, see the photograph of the girl on the bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Back