• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

You Got Me

That's a very famous Trans-sexual named Tula.

You've been had my friend!

http://tgmedia.enacre.net/lorna_lynne/tula.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Cossey

Don'tcha feel dirty now!

I can fix ya up, if ya like...

Damn it Les, I hate it when you are right, I have to say you set me up a little bit, your damn knowledge of all things transexual caught me in a pickle, thanks for making my day, that is good stuff. Only you would have saw the "Tula" on her race outfit and put two and two together. Good one,

Thanks,
Shane

Damn it Les, I hate it when you are right, I have to say you set me up a little bit, your damn knowledge of all things transexual caught me in a pickle, thanks for making my day, that is good stuff. Only you would have saw the "Tula" on her race outfit and put two and two together. Good one,

Thanks,
Shane

:rofl

I got caught on another forum the same way!

The wiki entry is actually a fascinating read considering the dates that all this occurred.

Jet Hot Finished

Just paid for the ceramic coating for the exhaust, headers and clamps. One of the things that I really wanted to avoid was the discoloring that takes place on all exhaust systems and I was not too keen to add exhaust covers since we are doing the whole Cafe Racer thing, so Jet Hot seemed like a good solution. I have heard nothing but good things about their product and their work.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Damage was $343 for everything if anyone is contemplating using their service.

Thanks,
Shane

Just paid for the ceramic coating for the exhaust, headers and clamps. One of the things that I really wanted to avoid was the discoloring that takes place on all exhaust systems and I was not too keen to add exhaust covers since we are doing the whole Cafe Racer thing, so Jet Hot seemed like a good solution. I have heard nothing but good things about their product and their work.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Damage was $343 for everything if anyone is contemplating using their service.

Thanks,
Shane

What color?

Sorry Less, it will be their silver chrome looking finish, not as shiny as chrome but no discoloration at all.

Thanks,
Shane

Kewl! Thought you might be going black. The Silver will look good on there.

I always liked the Blue discoloration of the Chrome for some reason.

Shiny

Kewl! Thought you might be going black. The Silver will look good on there.

I always liked the Blue discoloration of the Chrome for some reason.

Yeah with all of our shiny bits we wanted to go with Silver. Thanks for the support Les and thanks for telling me about the guy! Damn it anyway!

Shane

Ready for Coating

Josh has all the little bits ready for the powder coating process, well in fact it is a liquid coating process we are going to use instead. Can't wait to see the results and life brought back to these original parts.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 02-22-12_2 Powder Coating.jpg
    02-22-12_2 Powder Coating.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 113
Wheel Hubs

Our round wheel hubs will be liquid coated in white. Most of it will not show except where the spokes attach, but it should add a little detail.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 02-22-12_3.jpg
    02-22-12_3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 255
Helmet and Goggles

Well I did it, I purchased some of my safety equipment for the bike. I am going with the Classic Jet helmet by Davida, it is DOT approved, per our previous conversations, I stayed away from the less safe models and are going for function over form this time.

http://www.davida.co.uk/type.php?id=classic-Jet

The helmet is going to be all white to match the stripe on the bike, these are handmade and will take about 6 weeks to get it from U.K.

Also went with a set of their goggles and their face mask for cold mornings in North Dakota and to protect against bugs if I feel in the mood to wear it.

http://www.davida.co.uk/type.php?id=halcyon

their Halcyon goggles are very cool. :brow

Have a great evening everyone.

Sincerely,
Shane

Liquid Coating

Liquid coating process? Please explain. Liquid coating soulds like "paint"!!!! :laugh

I have asked Josh who he is using and asked for any technical information about this process, all I do know is that it is different than powder coating, is suppose to be more durable, so I will find out who is performing this process and any information I can to share about it.

Josh posted an update on his site:

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/02/ready-for-blasting-and-coating/

Thanks for your interest,
Shane

Shane,

Have them pay special attention to protecting your control perch and switch boss parts. Lots of little holes, and interfacing parts that don't like too much excess "paint", especially around holes. i.e. the countersink in the top of the throttle housing.

I had to have mine stripped and redone... they weren't happy. But not as unhappy as I was.

Attachments

• 02-22-12_3.jpg
    02-22-12_3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 213
Thanks

Shane,

Have them pay special attention to protecting your control perch and switch boss parts. Lots of little holes, and interfacing parts that don't like too much excess "paint", especially around holes. i.e. the countersink in the top of the throttle housing.

I had to have mine stripped and redone... they weren't happy. But not as unhappy as I was.

Well noted my friend,
thanks,
Shane

Headlight Houseing

We have decided to pull the headlight housing from the powder coat box because we want that larger piece to match perfectly with the tank and fenders. The liquid coating is very very close with their silver but I do not want to chance it not matching and I think that it is important that the larger pieces like the tank, headlight bucket and fenders are done at the same time via the same paint process. I have looked at both the Porsche color swatch and the silver powder/liquid coating swatch and they are very very close.

Will keep you posted,
Thanks,
Shane

R12 Back from Jet Hot!

I am so excited to show this picture to you, the R12 exhaust and the headers arrived back from Jet Hot today, spectacular! :blah

No discoloration from the heat.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMAG0518.jpg
    IMAG0518.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 201
Awesome!

Make sure you follow the break in directions with those explicitly. If they use the same as the company I used, you wipe them down & heat them up following a process. They will look good forever. If you leave a fingerprint on them when breaking in, you could have it forever.

Back