• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

What are the add-on looking steel plates on the crank for? I've never seen anything like those on a car crank.

Thanks

Most likely it came from here; if so, a source should be provided:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/mechanicalpages/rseriesmechanical.htm

Other very nice schematics on the page.

Yes, I agree, I am very good about citing sources, but this was just a random image on the internet and the originating website that was the source for the image said "URL Not Valid", so I do not know who to give credit to, sorry guys. It looks like the same image from BMBIKES.CO.UK but I am sure they did not draw this either and it is owned and provided by BMW originally.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited:
Bad Motor

We started with 2 bikes, here is the bad motor we are just sourcing parts from.

Attachments

• 06-26-12_8 Extra Parts Motor (Blown).jpg
    06-26-12_8 Extra Parts Motor (Blown).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 208
I learned how to ride on a 78' R100. Damn BIG bike, but I did it. To each his own I say. However, I do agree that after many motorcycles, I truly loved my 76' CB750F that I turned into a cafe bike. Do it, learn from your mistakes, and have fun. This is your labor of love. Don't let anyone on here hit you with a case of the "Should nots!" Afterall, a Vespa handles more dangerously than any cafe bike Iv'e ever ridden. A rule that I have lived by, and has saved my life many times over, "If you ever get too comfortable on a motorcycle to respect what it can do, it's time to get rid of it!"

Best of luck on the build!

Thanks

I learned how to ride on a 78' R100. Damn BIG bike, but I did it. To each his own I say. However, I do agree that after many motorcycles, I truly loved my 76' CB750F that I turned into a cafe bike. Do it, learn from your mistakes, and have fun. This is your labor of love. Don't let anyone on here hit you with a case of the "Should nots!" Afterall, a Vespa handles more dangerously than any cafe bike Iv'e ever ridden. A rule that I have lived by, and has saved my life many times over, "If you ever get too comfortable on a motorcycle to respect what it can do, it's time to get rid of it!"

Best of luck on the build!

Thanks for the words of advice and the input, it is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Josh is doing his thing...

Ah you got the aftermarket triple tree. That's one of the best things you can do for an airhead.

...Happy 4th of July...

And same to you Josh. I'm celebrating the Canada Day Weekend by riding my new ST around the Highwood Loop. I'll do the obligatory summit shot on the highest (road) pass in Canada.

Last edited:
Cool

Ah you got the aftermarket triple tree. That's one of the best things you can do for an airhead.

And same to you Josh. I'm celebrating the Canada Day Weekend by riding my new ST around the Highwood Loop. I'll do the obligatory summit shot on the highest (road) pass in Canada.

Sounds like a great trip, be safe and take care.

Thanks,
Shane

Back