• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Thanks

BC: That's a transmission with a kick starter.

They're really handy for loosening up a very cold engine prior to starting, and for starting if the battery fails.

How are you? Not sure the exact details of the 5-speed yet, Josh found a guy with one and we purchased it. As for the paint, Josh uses a 1200 degree engine paint and he rubs the paint into the metal by hand instead of spraying it on. Looks amazing and the process seems to work very well. Have a great evening everyone, when I find more dtails about the transmission I will let you know.

Thanks,
Shane

5-Speed

I emailed Josh asking him about the 5 speed and this was his comment:

"No kick start. 5-speeds with kick starts are rare and pricey.
But the bigger issue is that a kick start won't work with the rear set controls. the kick lever would crush the arm that connects the foot-shifter to the transmission.
Kick starts are a novelty anyway. Nice to have if your bike's battery dies... but other then that, you can live without one.
And and and... a giant kick lever behind the transmission would be ugly for our super clean and simple cafe bike."

So there you have it, 5-speed with no kick start. I will have some more pictures of the painted transmission soon, he said he finished today.

Thanks,
Shane

Lewis Leathers

Called the U.K. today and spoke with a very nice bloke (notice the slang) by the name of Derick. He said "No Problem" making the two white stripes down the arms into one thicker stripe. Everything is customs made for each customer. Also going to get myself a set of gloves. He is also going to move the Lewis Leathers patch on the inside of the jacket for me, I may have a BMW patch sewn on the chest, not sure yet, very nice guy, will be placing my order with them this week.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited:
Polishing

Here are some of the parts that will be polished on the bike.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-12-12_1 Going to Polish.jpg
    03-12-12_1 Going to Polish.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 170
More Polished Pieces

Some more pieces that have been set aside for polishing. From what I understand, once they are polished, they are sealed in some manner as to protect them.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-12-12_2 Also Polishing.jpg
    03-12-12_2 Also Polishing.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 173
Jacket & Gloves Ordered

I placed my order with Lewis Leathers in the U.K. for the Super Sportsman No. 68 Jacket and a pair of the Racing Gloves No. 806. They are going to do a custom jacket for me with a wide white race stripe down both arms instead of the double stripe. They are also going to move the Lewis Leathers Patch on the chest inside the jacket so that I can put a BMW patch there if I wish. Nice bunch of Chaps over there. Everything is custom made, they are going to send me a form so that I can give them my exact measurements for the jacket and the gloves. Very excited!:brad

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• leatherGlovesOverview.jpg
    leatherGlovesOverview.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 158
Horn Thoughts

Josh is looking for a very loud but discreet horn, here are some of the ideas,
any thoughts?

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze/accessories/Details.asp?ProductID=10289

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...onic-parts-small-chrome-12v-horn-11-0101.html

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-100

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-0140

I come from the school is that you get what you pay for many times. A $5-10 horn just does not seem like something I want on the bike, I could be mistaken. It must be loud as to get attention if I need it. My Bosch horns for the Porsche were around $300.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited:
I like the cyrilhuze mini horn. You could cover it with your Iron Cross to match up!

Mike H
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend
66 Honda CB160 (learner back in the day)
70 HD SS350 Sprint (college wheels - wish I had it back!)

Thanks

I like the cyrilhuze mini horn. You could cover it with your Iron Cross to match up!

Mike H
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend
66 Honda CB160 (learner back in the day)
70 HD SS350 Sprint (college wheels - wish I had it back!)

Yeah I like that one too, I think we will go with the plain Jane look because I already have 2 iron crosses on the bike and don't want to go overboard, but it looks like a great horn, hopefully it is loud!

Thanks for your input,
Shane

Lewis Leathers

Finalized my order for the jacket and the gloves. This company is amazing with their attention to detail. It is going to be a one-off jacket made specifically to my specifications and measurements. I was not going to mess around so I went to a local professional tailor and he gave me my accurate measurements. They take into account even the riding style of your bike when fitting a coat. One wide white race stripe down both arms 4cm wide, they said they have not done one of those before. Takes about 6-8 weeks for me to get it. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a great leather jacket.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Lewisleatherslogo.jpg
    Lewisleatherslogo.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 274
I got really lucky at a swap meet

No not a date with the Clymer Girl but I did find a 2/3rds size /5 horn with a screw on chrome cover. Its nearly identical to the OEM chrome face but its just a little bigger than half the size of OEM. Its a Klaxon and I have been scouring the internet and swap meets to find its double. 12 volt single pole, wish I could take a picture for you.

Vintage

Had to share this vintage photograph of a girl and her bike and the historic German Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club sign in the backdrop, spectacular. This is the logo that the Porsche Outlaw community has adopted for all modified Porsche 356 cars. Called the German Adler or Bird of Prey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 6052742379_b17dc5f848.jpg
    6052742379_b17dc5f848.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 267
Correct

If Paul from the Vintagent has this photograph documented as Anke Eve Goldmann, rest assured that is the lady in the picture. Paul is one of the best historians in the business and I respect everything that he does. He lives the coolest life in my mind. Classic photograph, she was a lady before her time. :) We had gone a couple of weeks withount a Damsel photograph in my thread, I feel much better now.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane, thanks to you and Josh for the info on the engine paint.
Too bad it is no longer available, but possibly with some experiminting we can come with an acceptable alternative!

Ken

Thanks

Shane, thanks to you and Josh for the info on the engine paint.
Too bad it is no longer available, but possibly with some experiminting we can come with an acceptable alternative!

Ken

Dear Ken, yeah I think that would work, that is what Josh did originally to figure out his own insider secret. It looks amazing and if it lives up to Josh's standard, you can rest assured it will be top notch. Thanks for following our antics, much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Shane

Back