• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Lock

Why do you need a steering lock? It's not the sort of bike you leave in a Holiday Inn parking lot overnight...

I don't think it is a necessity, but the bike originally came with one, so Josh wants to get everything in complete working and functioning order, if you are going through the bike to this degree, might as well do it right. It is also interesting that this is another similarity to the Porsche, there is a similar locking mechanism for the gear box near the shifter in the car, you can lock it into any gear, a 1965 security system if you will.

Thanks,
Shane

Salvaging Rotor

Josh had to go to the parts bike motor and found a rebuilt or brand new ROTOR, exactly what he needed for our bike, the other one on the build engine is no good. What a find! It is a cool concept to use 2 bikes that had no chance to drive on the road and make a good bike out of them both, a little DNA from 2 bikes to make one good bike, I like that thought.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 234
Lull

Good afternoon, we have a little lull in the build, Josh is teaching some classes and has not had time to work on the bike in a week or so, as soon as I get any updates, I will post right away. Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Shane

Organic Process. . .

. . .but still . . .

It might be time to USE THE WHIP! (-:

Thanks for the update, and the large audience now has an opportunity to cultivate patience.

Hey, ART cannot be rushed. . .

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Thanks

. . .but still . . .

It might be time to USE THE WHIP! (-:

Thanks for the update, and the large audience now has an opportunity to cultivate patience.

Hey, ART cannot be rushed. . .

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Not to worry young man, she will get done, if I learned one thing with the Porsche restoration is patience, patience, patience. I thought it would never get done and then when the restoration was complete, I missed the process dearly, so I started the bike. It is a fun aspect to have in my life to do these sorts of projects, you see all of these shows on TV depicting restorations and to do a couple of my own, it is truly rewarding. It is a much needed distraction from the day to day stress of running my company.

Have a great weekend,
Thanks
Shane

Dane Rowe Update

Some time ago I stumbled across a sidecar monkey by the name of Dane Rowe and was fascinated with her. I went as far as to find out if she was still alive and I located her in Europe and we spoke on the phone. I told her that there is a interest in her story and she recently did an interview which I am sure you can all appreciate. It was so cool talking with her on the phone, she is a very neat lady indeed and anyone who like motorcycles and women can appeciate this:

http://rocinantemecanico.blogspot.com/2012/04/surprise-guest-my-interview-with-dane.html

Thanks Chris Hutson for doing the story and thanks Dane for being so accessible.

Sincerely,
Shane

Thanks

Yes, some of those 356 restorations can take 20 years and more.

Dear Rinty, trust me, I am very well aware that both of my projects are on a fast track for sure, guys collect parts and pay as they go for years and years to get the bike and car of their dreams, I am very fortunate to be able to get them done in the timeframe I have. It kills me to watch these shows rush and hurry restorations in a week, I know they have many resources at their disposal but I have to think the end result of a car put back together to this level in just 7 days has some serious quality issues that you just do not see in the program. My projects are going to be done on average of 2 years or so for each and to accomplish this level of restoration, I think it is appropriate amount of time. Sure someone working on it full time could do it much faster, but I am in no rush, not in a hurry to have the process finalize if you know what I mean. It is a welcomed part of my life right now and you cannot rush perfection, or at least perfection as I see it.

Thanks,
Shan

I wish you were my neighbor:wave, I'd be over every day with a nice glass of scotch to watch my own show:thumb

Thanks

I wish you were my neighbor:wave, I'd be over every day with a nice glass of scotch to watch my own show:thumb

I am afraid you would have to be a neighbor to Josh my builder in Los Angeles if you wanted to see anything interesting, if you came over to my house in North Dakota all you would see is me writing checks. :laugh

Have a great weekend, a scotch does sound good.

Thanks,
Shane

Real Reason for the Delay

Well I found out the real reason for the delay in the restoration, Josh was arrested by invisible police officers with invisible handcuffs, I am going to have to bail him out of jail so he can finish the bike, or maybe he can utilize the penitentiaries metal shop and finish the bike from behind bars. Not sure what crime he committed but I am sure it was not good! ;)

Thanks,
Shane

PS: He is such a goof and always fooling around.

Attachments

• 531167_3930184327534_23629716_n.jpg
    531167_3930184327534_23629716_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 121
Dane Rowe

WOW!

That interview with the fearless Dane Rowe is highly recommended reading, and thanks for sharing. One thing about women rated at the "10-spot" is that they always remain a TEN as they mellow and improve with time. Clearly, Dane is still a TEN, oh, yes.

Many of us are sidecar fans, and it takes a "big set" (either gender) to put your nose to the tarmac at waaaaay over triple digits. This, my friends, is total TRUST in your pilot, and it's no wonder that Dane and Rudi are lifetime partners.

Walking Eagle

p.s. I hope Josh gets out of the calabozo soon.

Josh Made a Break for it!

Just got this photograph sent to me from Josh, he says that he made his prison break today, he thought the penal system of California had nothing more to offer him, so he called in the professionals to spring him from the joint, as you can see from the photograph, they meant business and found it relatively easy to get Josh out of the unjust institution that he called home for the better part of the weekend.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-15 at 7.21.30 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-07-15 at 7.21.30 AM.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 300
Back