• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Great looking bikes!

The only thing I don't really care for is that cut-off, stubby, look created at the back of the engine by omitting the air cleaner cover. The crankcase breather tube isn't too cool either to look at either.. . but hey.

Didn't someone offer a molded carbon-graphite cover for that a few years ago? Currently?

Lightweight

The old girl will never be lighter than she is sitting right now! Josh is going to push the bike 1.4 miles to the Police Station for an inspection.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-23-11_1.JPG
    03-23-11_1.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 588
Speedo/Tach

One of my absolutely favorite features about this model of BMW is dual Speedometer/Tach set into the headlight, I think it is very cool and very unique. The old girl has over 87K miles on her, that is 1/3 of the way to the moon. She has seen better days but that will all change soon enough.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-23-11_3.JPG
    03-23-11_3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 587
We Got a Title

Josh pushed the bike 1.4 miles to the local Police Station and the officer approved the bike and the title. I told Josh, don't go for his gun, they kind of frown upon that, no sense of humor and he did not make a move for the officers weapon as instructted, and I really think that sealed the deal and allowed us to get the title clearance. :laugh

So all systems are go!

Thanks,
Shane

No New News

Josh is putting together a Shopping List for things we need for the bike, I will share are we go forward. My wife Bonnie and I :love are expecting our 3rd child on Friday, it is a girl, so things like bikes and cars are going on the back burner for a bit, we are very excited.

Thanks for following,
Shane

Image of Posh Tail Light

Here is an image of the Tail Light.

Attachments

• yhst-63715787641716_2151_894691.jpg
    yhst-63715787641716_2151_894691.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 577
Just being a little silly. A lot of the reto rod car guys use blue dot tail lights on their cars. I'm retroing a '74 R90/6 in the style of a Moto Guzzi Eldorado. I took my stock tail light, drilled it out, then filed it to size and pressed in a blue dot for that reto look. Just do a blue dot tail light search and you'll see plenty of examples. I think their old school cool. That's just me.

Blue Dot

Just being a little silly. A lot of the reto rod car guys use blue dot tail lights on their cars. I'm retroing a '74 R90/6 in the style of a Moto Guzzi Eldorado. I took my stock tail light, drilled it out, then filed it to size and pressed in a blue dot for that reto look. Just do a blue dot tail light search and you'll see plenty of examples. I think their old school cool. That's just me.

I am sorry, I do know what you are talking about, they use to have them on vintage cars years ago, never seen them on a bike, sound pretty cool, I will check it out. Thanks for following my build, not much going on right now, but there will be,

thanks,
Shane

Can you explain Blue Dot?

Heres a blue dot in an auto lens:

BLUEDOT.jpg

Heres one in an Airhead lens:

Blue Dots became popular with Customizers and Hot Rodders in the early 50's and they change the color of the tail light from Red to a nice purple/magenta color. I've been installing them in my tail lights for a long time. They're definitely illegal in Cali but you're never gonna get a ticket for having one on a vintage bike.

I hope not anyway...

Like the Blue Dot tail light

Mymindsok,
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but how do you add the blue dot?

Mike
76 R90/6
93 R100R

got that new registration sticker yet mymindsok?

Don't push to far... DMV's is really screwed right now. Go to AAA if you're a member, it's "last-minute-they'll-hand-it-to-you-over-the-counter" there.

got that new registration sticker yet mymindsok?

Don't push to far... DMV's is really screwed right now. Go to AAA if you're a member, it's "last-minute-they'll-hand-it-to-you-over-the-counter" there.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll run over there today! :wave

No sense giving the revenue collectors an excuse to do their sworn duty.

The Bike is Titled

I have exciting news, the DMV sent Josh the title today for my bike, so now we can begin the work. But definately more important and more exciting was last week Friday Bonnie my wife and I had another daughter, her name is Alyvia, and I just have to post a picture for all you German bike guys! She was 7 pounds 9 Ounces and as you can imagine, my mind has been focused on the most important task any of us with every have, fatherhood!

Thanks for following, I promise some pictures and information soon. Josh has put together a long parts list for me to purchase and I will be getting started on that next week, but for now, I have a poopy diaper to change.:heart

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Alyvia Jean Balkowitsch 4-8-2011 Seven Lbs. 9 Ounces.jpg
    Alyvia Jean Balkowitsch 4-8-2011 Seven Lbs. 9 Ounces.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Back