• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Turn Signal Assembly

While Josh is waiting for the motor, he is starting to assemble some of the small bits.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 07-18-12_1 Turn Signals.jpg
    07-18-12_1 Turn Signals.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 241
Wheels Have Bearings

Finally got the bearings put into the wheels, I think the white hubs are going to look spectacular, what you will so of them at least. They are going to get laced this weekend.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 07-19-12_1 Wheels with Bearings.jpg
    07-19-12_1 Wheels with Bearings.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 221
That sounds like a real good price to lace wheels.

Friends of mine have used both Buchanan and Woody's Wheel Works, don't remember what they spent but all were satisfied with the end product.

Finding a good wheel smith today is getting harder every year, I think it's going to become more of a lost art in the future.

I actually contemplated starting a spoke wheel rebuilding service as a retirement business. Could not find anyone who would teach me the skill properly, and the business plan could not show a profit in a reasonable amount of time so i dropped the idea.
There is a lot more to it than meets the eye at first look.

Yes

That sounds like a real good price to lace wheels.

Friends of mine have used both Buchanan and Woody's Wheel Works, don't remember what they spent but all were satisfied with the end product.

Finding a good wheel smith today is getting harder every year, I think it's going to become more of a lost art in the future.

I actually contemplated starting a spoke wheel rebuilding service as a retirement business. Could not find anyone who would teach me the skill properly, and the business plan could not show a profit in a reasonable amount of time so i dropped the idea.
There is a lot more to it than meets the eye at first look.

Josh confirmed that the price Buchanan was about twice as high to lace them up.

Thanks,
Shane

U Joint

Josh just sent me a picture of the restored U Joint,

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 07-24-12_1 Restored U Joint.jpg
    07-24-12_1 Restored U Joint.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 128
Rims are Laced

Well the rims are laced and ready for tires! Yeee ha! ;) Here are a couple of pictures.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• wheels_1030393.jpg
    wheels_1030393.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 215
Mock Up

Josh is starting to put the bike back together to check clearances and fitament. Everything is very loose but it gives us an idea. He is developing a smaller fender for the rear that will work with the seat pan. You can see that in some of the pictures. Here are some pictures. If you see old nuts and bolts used, these are test wheels and tires obviously, everything is on order, the bike will have new everything, Josh just wanted to get some kind of rolling chassis to make sure everything is layed out, this is the time to make changes before final paint.

Thanks for letting me share, hope you enjoy the progress.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 08-06-12_1 Test Mockup.jpg
    08-06-12_1 Test Mockup.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 148
Back