Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Shane, your friend is excellent in Photo Shop. Now, if the bike looks anything like your mock up, you will have a master piece. Good luck.

Wayne

Rally Rat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    Shane, your friend is excellent in Photo Shop. Now, if the bike looks anything like your mock up, you will have a master piece. Good luck.

Wayne
    Here is another one of the bike from a photograph is his garage, I was just amazed at how he can modify and change the photographs and give us "an idea" as to the finished product. Again, my bike will be different, specifically we will have a seat Cowl where we are going to hide the battery under it and other features, but really gives you a good idea, he amazes me. For instance, with this photograph below I asked him to go away from the white race stripe and just do the front fender all white to see what it looks like and tada!

Thanks,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images

mymindsok
    Yeah, thats a cute bike Shane and the wonders of Photoshop! It changed photography forever!

Thats a cute /5 but I'm still interested in what you have planned for your bike. Are you going to clean up the rear end? You could, without too much trouble, move a PC 680 battery to a batt holder under the trans. That would lower the CG and improve handling. Then you could throw away the side covers to open up the sight lines at the rear of the bike. Fab up a hugger fender mounted to the swing arm and you're well on your way!

The owner is still working on this one but this treatment would look even better (And lighter!) on a SWB/5!

What carbs are you going to use? Bings seem to like a longer intake tract but Dells or Mikuni's work OK with those K+N style caps. ( Just don't get caught in the rain! )

Oh.... And unless you're sold on one of those fiberglass knock-off/repro/everybodys-got-one-bum-stop seats, you could take an old tank and a welder and do something like this, where the the lines of your tank are repeated in the seat cowl. :

[/QUOTE]

Choices, choices, choices!
    Last edited by mymindsok; 03-16-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Ken, you have my mind going on the battery under the tranny idea. Have you seen this done, or did this just pop into your head? Either way, heck of an idea! I like both of those bikes a bunch, & one on top of the other, you can tell the difference in aesthetics between the airbox delete & with it in place.

Can't say I totally like the looks of either, nor hate the looks of either. I think the engine needs something back there to look right, I just don't know what yet! Maybe something rounded off, but smaller? Something CUSTOM... Either way, I dig the looks of the short intakes! I saw one where they cut off the top of the front cover & left the top off of the engine. Again, kind of trick, just not quite perfect...

Hmmmmmm, all I need is a spare front cover, top cover & rear air box, I can cut & TIG weld them back into perfection... Well, I'm sure a lot of grinding & filler metal would be needed as well...

That back end made from the tank looks sweet too. All you need to start is a tank rotted out on the bottom that comes for free! Maybe bead in some wire on the bottom to finish it off nicely. Can't quite tell how that one is finished from here.

Either way, I'm definitely following this thread & love the idea of using the Porsche colors on the bike with the stripe. It is going to be gorgeous when he is done!

John.

Quote Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post

Choices, choices, choices!
    Hey, wait! Where did they hide the shock on this one! More pics please...

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Hey, wait! Where did they hide the shock on this one! More pics please...
    And the serious tires, wheels, brakes and forks!! Story please.

Don't forget your towel
    If you look real close you can see the top of a shock behind the sidecover.

I've seen this a couple of times in person, in rough terms you triangulate a shock mount above the pivot point of the swingarm for one end of the shock, the other end connects to the aft end of the upper frame tube.
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Rally Rat

Seat Cowl

Below is a picture of the seat Cowl that we purchased, the battery will mount underneath it. Thanks for following.

Sincerely,
    Shane

mymindsok
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Ken, you have my mind going on the battery under the tranny idea. Have you seen this done, or did this just pop into your head? Snip!

That back end made from the tank looks sweet too. All you need to start is a tank rotted out on the bottom that comes for free! Maybe bead in some wire on the bottom to finish it off nicely. Can't quite tell how that one is finished from here. Snip!

John.
    Putting the battery below the transmission isn't my idea. No way...!

The first place I saw it was on a couple of European Cafe Airheads. Lately there have been a few Americans following suite and it's certainly a trick that I'm going to keep in mind for the next time I do my bike over.

My main issue with the "small battery under the seat thing" is that the capacity of those super small batteries is fairly low and that can really compromise how you use your bike. My bike is currently equipped with an Odyssey PC680, which will provide for a days idling around a rally site, including several restarts but then I have to charge the battery overnight. A smaller battery means even less flexibility and I have do my limits!

Check em out. Both of these bikes have the batteries mounted under the Transmission and I think that it really cleans up the rear end of the bike. YMMV.

Heres one more from my files:

As far as needing some extra covers to mod, just look around on Ebay. Engine covers are really cheap. Hell, I've even given em away. Otherwise, bite the bullet and mod what you have. If you don't like the way it turns out, do it again till you get it right or Ebay yourself some replacement covers and move on.

Heres what I did with a set of covers that were on my bike before the engine swap. All it takes is a ruler and a drill press to let cold air in.:

Lastly... If you want to know how to construct a seat-back using a gas tank, just go look at an RS/RT/R100 seat pan. It's all right there for everyone to see. In fact, you could probably brace the seat pan, cut the rear off and weld on anything that pleases your fancy. Thats been done plenty of times!

Oh... And don't start out with a rusted out tank. Solid BMW Sport tanks can be had for between $40 and free and there are plenty of Jap tanks out there to play with.

Heres an R65 based bike with a cut down RS seat base.:

And heres another one:

[/QUOTE]

I'm not into checkerboard or painted engines but theres no denying that some real thought, beer and plain old sweat went into building that bike!

Rally Rat

Cute?

[QUOTE=mymindsok;663134]Yeah, thats a cute bike Shane and the wonders of Photoshop!

Not sure if the word Cute applies to Josh's bike? Josh has an appointment with the Police Department for them to approve the Title, what a pain in the rear, funny our parts bike has a title but this one does not. Thanks for following, I will keep everyone updated on our progress, have a great week,

Thanks,
    Shane

Great looking bikes!

The only thing I don't really care for is that cut-off, stubby, look created at the back of the engine by omitting the air cleaner cover. The crankcase breather tube isn't too cool either to look at either.. . but hey.

Didn't someone offer a molded carbon-graphite cover for that a few years ago? Currently?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally Rat

Lightweight

The old girl will never be lighter than she is sitting right now! Josh is going to push the bike 1.4 miles to the Police Station for an inspection.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Speedo/Tach

One of my absolutely favorite features about this model of BMW is dual Speedometer/Tach set into the headlight, I think it is very cool and very unique. The old girl has over 87K miles on her, that is 1/3 of the way to the moon. She has seen better days but that will all change soon enough.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

We Got a Title

Josh pushed the bike 1.4 miles to the local Police Station and the officer approved the bike and the title. I told Josh, don't go for his gun, they kind of frown upon that, no sense of humor and he did not make a move for the officers weapon as instructted, and I really think that sealed the deal and allowed us to get the title clearance.

So all systems are go!

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

No New News

Josh is putting together a Shopping List for things we need for the bike, I will share are we go forward. My wife Bonnie and I are expecting our 3rd child on Friday, it is a girl, so things like bikes and cars are going on the back burner for a bit, we are very excited.

Thanks for following,
    Shane