• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Custom Garmin ride for the Rally (294 mile loop)

drw2ge

BMW FanBoi
Don't know if anyone is interested...But, here is a 294 mile loop, leaving out of Shamokin Dam, which is 24 miles from Bloomsburg. (We're staying at a hotel there because it was the closest we could find! ;-(

I had to attach the file in .gpx format because .gdb attachment is not an allowed format. Created in Mapsource 6.16.3 using Mapset 2011.4, just open and save in .gdb format.

Route goes through two state forests... I plan on creating another loop that will take in PA 125: Pennsylvania's' "Dragon"... A GREAT twisty road. Will post if interest shown.

Attachment: ''Shamokin Tour Loop 294. gpx''

EDIT: With Rockbottoms feedback the route has been "upgraded"... scroll down and see "shamokinTour290v2.gpx. (Use that)

Enjoy!

Phil

Attachments

• Shamokin Tour Loop294.gpx
    334.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Garmin Mini Loop w/ PA 125 (141 miles)

Guys (and Gals!), here's a loop that you can pickup only 9 miles from Bloomsburg that takes you on PA 125.. trust me, this is a great ride. 141 miles, take you 4 hours or less. (Cept' you might want to turn around and do 125 over again!)

See attached: Shamokin mini Loop141.gpx (again, open, then save in .gdb format) TomTom people: try using ITN converter for *.itn format

Enjoy! :thumb

Phil

Attachments

• Shamokin mini LOOP141.gpx
    183.6 KB · Views: 71
I know that route intimately--at one point it passes about 7 miles from my house. I would suggest that the long stretch on Rt 11 is fairly boring. Better to pop east of the river at Duncannon and take Rt 147 up the east shore.

It would also be nice to work in Rt 74 and Rt 235 where they cross the mountain ridges.

There are some great route suggestions here.

I thought I'd throw a few routes in. Of course, they all start and end from my house which is about an hour from Bloomsburg, but they could be easily modified.

Attachments

• 26.gpx
    257.1 KB · Views: 30
If you have a newer Garmin unit, you may be able to download these directly to your Garmin's "GPX" folder. Then, from the GPS software, choose to import a custom route. I am not near my unit now, so I can't give you the step-by-step, but you should find the option under your tools/routes area. No Mapsource needed.

@RB.. I was hoping you would chime in as I knew this was your turf.. but didn't expect all the extra routes..THANKS! and thanks for those tips about Rt. 11, etc.. I'll look at the route and make some changes and post later.

@Theo, yes... .gpx files can be dragged directly into garmin .gpx folder and imported.. my data> import custom routes. Good Tip..

11 along the river is kind of pretty, but it's multilane/55 MPH with a lot of traffic. And the stretch just below Shamokin Dam is very congested--two miles of strip malls.

Changes to LONG Shamokin Ride

RB,here you go, take a look at this.... made some changes.

Attachments

• Shamokin TOUR290v2.gpx
    357 KB · Views: 39
Very good. I love that section of 997 you added--I ride it at least once a week. Folks may have to do some buggy dodging through there.

Here's another ride. 316 miles.

@Rockbottom, would love your feedback on this 2nd loop.

attached: Shamokin Tour #2 316. gpx

Attachments

• Shamokin TOUR #2 316.gpx
    368.3 KB · Views: 27
Very nice. I was on that section of Rt 233 between 30 and 11 an hour ago--had to try out a Roadcrafter suit I just got this morning! All of those segments in that route are good.

I have a picture of McConnellsburg, which is on this route, in my blog.

One idea on that route--where 233 crosses Pine Road just south of 174, if you turn to the right and go a couple of thousand yards, there's a trout hatchery with a visitor center. It's actually quite interesting.

Back