• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Womens motorcycle gear???

Overkill

I have a female friend who is going riding with and beside me this upcoming season. The problem is, her only exposure to motorcycles is the cruiser / no gear anytime crowd.

I will not take her riding with me or ride with her if she doesn't have on full gear. She has agreed, but she is also very fashion conscious and wants gear she feels she looks good in.

I am looking for web sites that have a lot of pictures of women in gear so I can show her what her options are and let her see that women DO wear gear. Does anyone know where I can let her look and get used to seeing women in gear and the different types and styles of gear available?

Thanks for any help!

There's nothing glamorous about riding. My advice, that being said, enjoy the ride with your fella and stop worrying about how you look. Safety and comfort are key. If she's going to worry about breaking a nail or her hair will get messed, is it worth it?

I wear gear now. Never did as a long time ago passenger.

Seriously, get over yourself!!

Attachments

• Bike 4-09.jpg
    Bike 4-09.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 688
There's a site for new and used gear here. All the used is pictured on models.

These guys are in NC and last time I checked, they will open by appointment.

I'm going to chime in with Susan on this one. It's not about looking good. If that were so, leather halter tops would be functional as well as questionably fashionable.

There is no helmet on earth that will allow her to look glamorous when she takes it off.

Having said this, take a look at the Women of the MOA forum. There are several threads on women's gear.

Tell her there is nothing glamorous about picking asphalt out of your body either.

There was a thread a while ago on an attractive young woman and her amazing recovery from a very bad MC accident. As I recall, her website showed pictures of her healed scars.

Find that page and show it to your friend.

I don't think there's anything inconsistent with wanting to wear protective gear and look good at the same time. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but that's subjective, of course. Why not try Revzilla.com; they have lots of videos of the gear they sell, though you'll certainly see a lot more men than women featured in them. Rev'it brand is certainly more "stylish" than many and they sell Rev'it. Here's Revzilla's section on women's gear: http://www.revzilla.com/womens-motorcycle-gear

My wife is very sexy in her Roadcrafter two peice. :twirl
a>

Every time she takes her helmet off and smiles at me I know we have done the right thing and hope to do it for years to come. We are to old to become one of those 200,000 mile couples but at 12,000 miles a year the future looks like we are in for a lot of fun.
The more miles we rides the more smiles we have.

Tony

I met this lady at the Chicago IMS last year and she is very enthusiastic about her company and products. Her goal was to accomplish exactly what you are looking for; style and safety. We ordered a jacket for my wife like the aqua colored one pictured on the website home page and it is a very nice, high quality piece. My wife loves it and the socks she ordered as well. I have no affiliation with them but would certainly recommend them.

http://www.girlgearapparel.com/site/Welcome.html

I met this lady at the Chicago IMS last year and she is very enthusiastic about her company and products. Her goal was to accomplish exactly what you are looking for; style and safety. We ordered a jacket for my wife like the aqua colored one pictured on the website home page and it is a very nice, high quality piece. My wife loves it and the socks she ordered as well. I have no affiliation with them but would certainly recommend them.

http://www.girlgearapparel.com/site/Welcome.html

+1. I bought one of her jackets last September. Love it.

No doubt about it...wearing anything other than leather gear is gonna make you look like a conehead...There's no getting around it...but it's the 'Style' for many forms of the motorcycle subculture. I formerly believed that nothing protects like leather, but I'm not of that opinion any more...

That said, leather still does an outstanding job of protecting, as long as it's good quality. If your friend is a slave to fashion, then leather will be the way to go...

That doesn't necessarily mean that one is gonna leather up for every single ride... For me, riding essentials/absolutes include eye protection, normally glasses... a pair of full finger gloves (why one would wear fingerless gloves is beside me), a pair of jeans or stout pants of some sort, and BOOTS!! Not tennis shoes...

If it's under 85 to 90 degrees, a jacket, weight depending upon temperature and other weather conditions. If it's under 55-60, usually, not always, a pair of leather chaps or armored pants...

That's my comfort zone...not saying it's everybody's absolute...what I DON'T EVER DO is wear shorts, flip flops, or shoes that don't encase the ankles...maybe around the block I'll violate that last one, but it's rare... If it's a hot day, sure, I'll wear a T-shirt and jeans, and it doesn't get me all fretty to do so...

But one thing I ALWAYS recommend to the female riders, especially those who are stylistically inclined...NO CLEAVAGE!!! EVER!!!! Wasps or bees down the front are not only not a lotta fun, but dangerous... Riding the bike is no time to worry about attracting leers... For a guy, same thing involves Henly shirts...unless you button 'em up all the way...

Your friend can be stylish and ride safely at the same time...

Bee's, ouch!

Could you imagine a bee down a blouse or jacket of the passenger and all the moving about back there, trying to kill it. This would be ugly for the rider up front. Good point made about less clothing, I agree. I actually had a bee climb down into my m/c boot, while riding at speed on a freeway. Boy, I could not stop quick enough and get that boot off. Looked quite unusual, I'm sure. Randy

The first time our daughter took her bike out alone she got a wasp down her jacket. It stung her chest, but she was only going a few blocks on an errand and she bravely soldiered on to her destination. When she pulled into the parking lot a few minutes later and removed the nasty critter she was in tears. She's been very careful to make sure her jacket is fully zipped up ever since.

I had a bee zing in one sleeve and out the other, and he got me a little bit, last year on a ride...I had a wasp zip into my open Henly shirt and go to town on me the year before that...warn't my first rodeo and I didn't panic or anything, but on the other hand, I didn't like it either!!! Both times I wasn't wearing a jacket, and I'm gonna ride without a jacket again, but those incidents are powerful reasons for me to warn others about how foolish it CAN be not to wear a jacket!!! Ya makes yer choices and puts up with the consequences...I'm grateful that I have that choice, at least for now...

You might also try Olympia gear. Their stuff doesn't end up looking like men's gear scaled to women's sizes and fits and flatters women nicely.

No connection to the company except as a satisfied customer.

I would agree that a women shouldn't worry about looks

but be concerned with how her gear protects her; but after having this battle with my wife for the last 5 - 6 years, i've given up.

But we both liked the Scorpion Women's jacket that she bought last summer. She say's that it makes her look like a girl; i like it's protective qualities.... now if i could just get her to put the armor back in it! :banghead

A looonnnggg time ago my wife rode with a tank top on one sunny day.It came untied and she didn't know until she had walked across a parking lot and into a building..She hasn't worn one since,and won't go back there probably ever..Ed

I don't think there's anything inconsistent with wanting to wear protective gear and look good at the same time. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but that's subjective, of course. Why not try Revzilla.com; they have lots of videos of the gear they sell, though you'll certainly see a lot more men than women featured in them. Rev'it brand is certainly more "stylish" than many and they sell Rev'it. Here's Revzilla's section on women's gear: http://www.revzilla.com/womens-motorcycle-gear

While I'm about to begin another MSF season of preaching "Dress for the Slide as well as the Ride," I agree with marcopolo.

Let's face it - us guys give more than just a passing thought to style, color, fit and fashion too.

You can be stylish and very well protected - just keep shopping (shouldn't be too hard for a gal - in their DNA) till you find all the right gear, which includes a helmet!

In addition to Revzilla, consider the Olympia line as well as Tourmaster - all good stuff! :german

Thank you!! These are helpful sites in getting her used to the idea of riding with full gear and that it can look good!

Back