Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Back of the Dragon

Let us know what you think. Same for others, post after you ride. There's a LOT of gravel, it will take a hard hard rain to wash it away.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Earache
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Let us know what you think. Same for others, post after you ride. There's a LOT of gravel, it will take a hard hard rain to wash it away.
    Eeks! Hate to hear that. I had thought about heading down there on my own this weekend, but will give it a skip now.

Praying for loads of rian between now and May!

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Earache View Post
    But it'll be an adventure no matter what, even with the crap road surface.
    It can't possible be worse than the Moroccan roads...some roads seem nice and black, but are slippery (maybe the heat), some are covered in dust and (desert) sand, others look like they're bombed with clusterbombs. It's the flash floods in certain areas that whash away parts of the road. Also, falling rocks and landslides take care of some roads. All in all, it's an adventurous ride over there... but the scenery and the people makes up for those roads.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Earache
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    ... but the scenery and the people makes up for those roads.
    That's very true of West Virginia and Virginia as well.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I made a special trip up to this road from Raleigh on Sunday. I was disappointed! 510 miles round trip.

The road has great potential. Like PFFOG, I would have ridden the entire road in 2d gear, the sharpest corner could be taken at an entry of 20 mph if, IF:

There wasn't gravel all over the place, right in the center of the lanes so you couldn't hit any apexes or lean with confidence AND the pavement in the technical areas is horrible: Gravel, busted road, potholes, etc.

If the road gets repaved, please post it here, as I'll head back in a second.

The scenery would be nice in Spring or Fall.

I rode back on 622/610 via Nebo. 622 was quite nice and in good shape, but 610 was no fun.

PFFOG, I know you cut it up hard, did you not find the road full of gravel and in poor condition. I almost lowsided twice and was sliding the rear tire on acceleration out of corners (gravel) before I turned around and headed back to North Carolina.

Seriously, if you guys organize a crew to sweep that road, I'll come up and bring a broom if you have manpower and pickup trucks.

Finally, traffic was very light (which is nice), and very easy to pass on just about any hard left corner. You can see so far around (at least this time of year) that passing is a breeze.
    We had 3 or 4 inches of snow on the mountains last week and the states loves to use gravel. It will take a while for the gravel to clear up. We also had an especially severe winter that worked on the roads around here.

Sorry
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Yeah, it was like a gravel fairy went all around the corners. If it clears up later in the year (I'll keep reading posts) I would like to make another run at it.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

criminaldesign
    Roads like this I expect to find the gravel and all the other hazards anytime of the year. It's not a track so there's no controlled environment factor, it's a public road and there's going to be sh*t on it.

Regardless, it is a great route. That goes for a majority of the roads in the area.

And yes, if someone is hotdoggin' it, move over when possible. Better for the both of ya's.

That's very true of West Virginia and Virginia as well.
    I can't wait to find out next year...

Earache
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    I can't wait to find out next year...

Come on over this summer for a week long "pre-ride".
    I have an extra bike you can use.

Come on over this summer for a week long "pre-ride".
    I have an extra bike you can use.
    In Holland we have a saying: the money doesn't grow on my back!
    I'll have another adventure for this year: driving a Yamaha XT600Z Tenere to The Gambia (Africa, right under Dakar,Senegal) for charity. I'm part of a team and we'll donate the bikes to Rider for Health. Along the way we have some Dakar style fun in the Sahara desert. If I survive that, I'll live through the Dragon too I guess...

If you are within riding distance, join us this Saturday. It is supposed to be hot and dry. http://backofthedragon.com/?page_id=186

The state highway department has promised to have the roads in good repair. I have high hopes.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Let us know what you find on road conditions/gravel. I am going to the Indy GP race in August and might detour your way again if the road is in better shape.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Let us know what you find on road conditions/gravel. I am going to the Indy GP race in August and might detour your way again if the road is in better shape.
    Will do. Rt 16 changes counties on top of the middle mountain. Tazewell County jumped on theirs (big car dealer pushed it) but Smyth County was slow to respond. We pulled some strings and they promised to get it done this week. However, I don't know what their definition of done is.

I rode 16 from Beckley to Marion on the way to the Georgia Mountain Rally and then again going to the Chicken Rally.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 92k miles
    2013 TW200

Just talked with a friend who decided to see if they had fixed the road. He said they are just completing the repaving of the North side of Big Walker which was the bad section of the road. Once they finish that this week, the road should be in good shape.