• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Back of the Dragon

I made a special trip up to this road from Raleigh on Sunday. I was disappointed! 510 miles round trip.

The road has great potential. Like PFFOG, I would have ridden the entire road in 2d gear, the sharpest corner could be taken at an entry of 20 mph if, IF:

There wasn't gravel all over the place, right in the center of the lanes so you couldn't hit any apexes or lean with confidence AND the pavement in the technical areas is horrible: Gravel, busted road, potholes, etc.

If the road gets repaved, please post it here, as I'll head back in a second.

The scenery would be nice in Spring or Fall.

I rode back on 622/610 via Nebo. 622 was quite nice and in good shape, but 610 was no fun.

PFFOG, I know you cut it up hard, did you not find the road full of gravel and in poor condition. I almost lowsided twice and was sliding the rear tire on acceleration out of corners (gravel) before I turned around and headed back to North Carolina.

Seriously, if you guys organize a crew to sweep that road, I'll come up and bring a broom if you have manpower and pickup trucks.

Finally, traffic was very light (which is nice), and very easy to pass on just about any hard left corner. You can see so far around (at least this time of year) that passing is a breeze.

On Colorado:

I enjoyed Colorado and spent 5 days riding the Rockies. The roads are in great shape, with generous passing lanes, and beautiful views. But, is there a chicane anywhere in the Rockies?

It's 200 feet straight, sweepy turn, 200 feet straight, turn, 200 feet, turn....

I got bored with the lack of technical areas. I'm not saying there are none, but nothing like the roads in the Smokies/NC/TN/VA (HWY 16 being a pretty good example with crappy pavement).

PFFOG, I know you cut it up hard, did you not find the road full of gravel and in poor condition. I almost lowsided twice and was sliding the rear tire on acceleration out of corners (gravel) before I turned around and headed back to North Carolina..................

Last time I rode it was 2 or 3 years ago, rode it 2 or 3 times prior too. My memory is there is always some gravel, back in '02 or '03 I also hit some invisible sand or dirt, that gave me a little pucker moment, that was on the North end.

I do remember it getting rough, unfortunately VA and WV don't seem to have the Buxom blonds in knee pads, procuring their road improvement money from the politicians, that NC and TN seem to have.

The other issue this early is the sand and gravel they spread in the winter, it takes a good rain or two to help wash them clean. But even late summer I remember having to pay attention to debris, more than some other roads.

I am going to be back in the area at the end of the month, and plan on exploring the Cumberland area, so I will likely ride it.

It is a good road, and worthy of riding, but like all roads, they can go from great to so-so as pavement ages. Fresh blacktop makes any road better.

On Colorado:

I enjoyed Colorado and spent 5 days riding the Rockies. The roads are in great shape, with generous passing lanes, and beautiful views. But, is there a chicane anywhere in the Rockies?

It's 200 feet straight, sweepy turn, 200 feet straight, turn, 200 feet, turn....

I got bored with the lack of technical areas. I'm not saying there are none, but nothing like the roads in the Smokies/NC/TN/VA (HWY 16 being a pretty good example with crappy pavement).

Can't agree more, but Robo and I are in the 5% of the 10% of riders that CLAIM to like corners. Many riders like the "cruiser" corners, 45-50 mph sweepers, I like the 1st/2nd gear stuff, all day long if I can get it. Many riders don't enjoy the work and concentration needed to do it hour after hour, and that is fine. That is why I travel to the Smokies and Europe.

The views in the Rockies can't be beat in the US, and the roads are nice, just not challenging. Maybe that is why I like the Alps, views that exceed the Rockies, and roads that out twist the Smokies., you can't ask for more.

Damn, fun is expensive!

Last edited:
On Colorado:
. But, is there a chicane anywhere in the Rockies?

Not like eastern US - wish there was as I'd move to Colorado!

Hard to beat TN /NC road surface - for whatever reason, some of the best in the States.

I'm heading to ride Route 16 with a few folks from Chicago in May, hope the gravel is cleared up a bit by rain then. Otherwise, I'm gonna hear a lot of bitchin' from people:brow

But it'll be an adventure no matter what, even with the crap road surface.

Let us know what you think. Same for others, post after you ride. There's a LOT of gravel, it will take a hard hard rain to wash it away.

Let us know what you think. Same for others, post after you ride. There's a LOT of gravel, it will take a hard hard rain to wash it away.

Eeks! Hate to hear that. I had thought about heading down there on my own this weekend, but will give it a skip now.

Praying for loads of rian between now and May!

But it'll be an adventure no matter what, even with the crap road surface.
It can't possible be worse than the Moroccan roads...some roads seem nice and black, but are slippery (maybe the heat), some are covered in dust and (desert) sand, others look like they're bombed with clusterbombs. It's the flash floods in certain areas that whash away parts of the road. Also, falling rocks and landslides take care of some roads. All in all, it's an adventurous ride over there... but the scenery and the people makes up for those roads.

I made a special trip up to this road from Raleigh on Sunday. I was disappointed! 510 miles round trip.

The road has great potential. Like PFFOG, I would have ridden the entire road in 2d gear, the sharpest corner could be taken at an entry of 20 mph if, IF:

There wasn't gravel all over the place, right in the center of the lanes so you couldn't hit any apexes or lean with confidence AND the pavement in the technical areas is horrible: Gravel, busted road, potholes, etc.

If the road gets repaved, please post it here, as I'll head back in a second.

The scenery would be nice in Spring or Fall.

I rode back on 622/610 via Nebo. 622 was quite nice and in good shape, but 610 was no fun.

PFFOG, I know you cut it up hard, did you not find the road full of gravel and in poor condition. I almost lowsided twice and was sliding the rear tire on acceleration out of corners (gravel) before I turned around and headed back to North Carolina.

Seriously, if you guys organize a crew to sweep that road, I'll come up and bring a broom if you have manpower and pickup trucks.

Finally, traffic was very light (which is nice), and very easy to pass on just about any hard left corner. You can see so far around (at least this time of year) that passing is a breeze.

We had 3 or 4 inches of snow on the mountains last week and the states loves to use gravel. It will take a while for the gravel to clear up. We also had an especially severe winter that worked on the roads around here.

Sorry

Yeah, it was like a gravel fairy went all around the corners. If it clears up later in the year (I'll keep reading posts) I would like to make another run at it.

Roads like this I expect to find the gravel and all the other hazards anytime of the year. It's not a track so there's no controlled environment factor, it's a public road and there's going to be sh*t on it.

Regardless, it is a great route. That goes for a majority of the roads in the area.

And yes, if someone is hotdoggin' it, move over when possible. Better for the both of ya's.

Come on over this summer for a week long "pre-ride".
I have an extra bike you can use.:)
In Holland we have a saying: the money doesn't grow on my back! ;)
I'll have another adventure for this year: driving a Yamaha XT600Z Tenere to The Gambia (Africa, right under Dakar,Senegal) for charity. I'm part of a team and we'll donate the bikes to Rider for Health. Along the way we have some Dakar style fun in the Sahara desert. If I survive that, I'll live through the Dragon too I guess... ;)

Let us know what you find on road conditions/gravel. I am going to the Indy GP race in August and might detour your way again if the road is in better shape.

Let us know what you find on road conditions/gravel. I am going to the Indy GP race in August and might detour your way again if the road is in better shape.

Will do. Rt 16 changes counties on top of the middle mountain. Tazewell County jumped on theirs (big car dealer pushed it) but Smyth County was slow to respond. We pulled some strings and they promised to get it done this week. However, I don't know what their definition of done is.

I rode 16 from Beckley to Marion on the way to the Georgia Mountain Rally and then again going to the Chicken Rally. :clap

Just talked with a friend who decided to see if they had fixed the road. He said they are just completing the repaving of the North side of Big Walker which was the bad section of the road. Once they finish that this week, the road should be in good shape.

Back