• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

not sure what to do

In general, pavements are grooved to provide a smoother ride for cars and to correct irregularities due to contractor errors in paving.
They're grooved as an anti-hydroplaning measure -- the grooves give the water a place to go. You can still drive too fast for the amount of water present, but the grooves at least delay the on-set of hydroplaning, and their edges can give the tires something to bite on in response to a steering input.

Some concrete pavements are indeed grooved to facilitate drainage, minimize puddles, and minimize hydroplaning. But worse yet is milled asphalt pavement, usually milled either to remove humps (short stretches), to remove the center between rutted wheel tracks, or in preparation for the overlay of about 3 new inches of asphalt. Milled asphalt can go on for miles and be disconcerting for almost any bike - stiff forks and excellent tire tread design not withstanding. Milling machine drivers don't always drive in very straight lines.

Airhead Tracking

Chuck,

Do not know what part of the country you are in, however I would offer these suggestions.

1. If you are not a member of the Airheads Beemer Club, then join.

https://www.airheads.org/index.php?option=com_airhead_signup

Check the tech tips page:

https://www.airheads.org/content/category/3/77/98/

2. Find a local Airhead Tech day and attend, get to know the Airheads in your area.

The Airheads are a pretty knowledgeable group about these old machines, as you see from the responses to your posting, and will be more than happy to help a fellow "Head" in trouble.

3. + 1 on the suggestion for Snowbum's site - a wealth of information:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm

4. This forum is also an excellent source of info as you have seen.

Once your "Airhead" is set up and running correctly, it will return many miles and years of faithfull service. :)

good luck,

radar

Plus Plus on the previous comments

I too have decided to ride my older bike, 1977 R100/7, rather than get a newer one. With the financing available at the BMW dealerships I could probably swing a brand new bike. I rode to the International Rally in OR last year and took advantage of the test rides on the brand new machines. Wow, they are really something else, really enjoyed riding them. BUT, I decided I really like my 1977 bike. So after last year and 12,000 miles I decided I really like my 1977 bike. I mean I really like it! So, I replaced the steering head bearings, the grease was really thick and not doing its job, then replaced the swing arm bearings, a brand new Avon AM26 Roadrider tire and I am for the most part pretty satifisied with my bike. AND, I have so little invested. AND, most any mechanic in the world can work on it. I plan on many more miles on this bike. I think the older bikes just take a bite more effort. For me the difference in money, a rather huge difference, still does not make me want to move to a newer bike at this point. I plan on riding all 48 lower states, after that is done I will expand my horizons and make plans to travel even farther, I feel pretty comfortable on this older bike.
Kurt

PS: this winter I am doing the heads and replacing the rings, also a number of other preventive items, they are all rather easy to do. :thumb
I did not mention my bike has 84,000 miles on the speedo.

Back