Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56

Thread: ZUMO Tech Question?

  1. #16
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    BTW, the 660 has a speaker built in it... SO if your parked and camping, etc.. you can play tunes (built in MP3) and listen directly.
    As does the 220 if you're willing to sacrifice an inch of screen width, 3d building depiction, and MP3 player capability for a $200 savings.

  2. #17
    beemerbum beemerbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    35

    zumo 550 and audio

    As many have confirmed, the standard zumo 550 does not have an internal speaker, audio only available via single channel (mono) Bluetooth stream or wire connection to audio output jack, which will be in stereo if proper cable used.

    A simple workaround that I have used for testing is to use a (very) cheap single or set of portable non-powered speakers, some are even waterproof, connected to the 3.5mm stereo output. Their output is typically not stellar, but they can be loud enough.

    So wired up it is, or single channel Bluetooth. I do agree with other comments regarding looking seriously at zumo220 or 660/665 (higher end) for features and suitability. Many however are adopting more economical models that have similiar features to zumo models, but witout the environmental certification.

    A good weather bag, coming to market for many models, by three or four manufacturers, with a clear or translucent face, makes this type of solution viable. RAM has a new hard/soft casing that can have different mounting adapters put on it...I have one on order for eventual testing.

    And to answer one other post, the WorldNav 3500 GPS does not have a speaker either.

    Cheers, Bruce
    One is never enough...'12 R1200GS Rallye SE, Aging 09 F800GS, 09 HP2 Sport and 76 Suzuki Water Buffalo and ??

  3. #18
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,509

    Thumbs up

    Two of my four helmets are now Bluetooth enabled.

    Garmin ZUMO 660 ordered and on the way!!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  4. #19
    BMW FanBoi drw2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    566
    ^^ I think he's HAPPY!?

    Congrats.. your gonna love the whole wireless thing...
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

  5. #20
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Two of my four helmets are now Bluetooth enabled.

    Garmin ZUMO 660 ordered and on the way!!
    Congrats on the 660. First thing you should do is backup everything on it (just in case), and then sign onto "my garmin" to register, and run the updaters.

    As to Bluetooth, I went there in 2005 with Cardo, Motorola, and some cobbled together bluetooth parts from Sony and Logitech. Techie geek that I am, I was NEVER happy with the results and the inability to get all the audio sources I wanted to get into the helmet so ditched it all for a wired Autocom which has been working very well. (connections support navigation, phone, FRS/GMRS/ham tranceivers, MP3, audiobooks, radar rcvr, traffic, wx, am/fm/sat, and maybe there's something I'm forgetting. HA!) Truth be told, 90% of the time, I don't listen to any of it.

    That said, I just bought a Sena bluetooth kit to give it another try 6 years later. I'll stick with the wired system for my highway bike and plan to use a bluetooth helmet with the 250cc KLX for navigation and phone.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  6. #21
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,509

    Smile

    Thanks.

    I'm looking forward to the weather-proof advantage and learning how to plan and download my own routes.

    Otherwise, like you, I may minimize just how 'techie' I get for now.

    Slow learner when it comes to gizmos.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  7. #22
    BMW FanBoi drw2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    566
    Zumoforums.Com, Kev.

    Mapsource may some day become your friend.. but at the start, you WILL curse it. Mapsource: A.K.A. "The Devils Program" I've been using it for a couple years now and it still isn't the easiest.. (but the best) It REALLY helps if you can find someone to show you the ropes... learning it on your own is tough.

    All the BlueTooth stuff is childs play. EZ Peazy. All my music is on the 660 (stored on the microSD card) and my phone is paired to the 660 which is paired to the SENA, so you can listen to music, hear GPS voice commands and answer the phone. Pretty simple.

    It's planning the routes.....
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

  8. #23
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    Zumoforums.Com, Kev.
    Yeah, +1.

    Personally, I can't stand using Mapsource for route planning, but have used it for years to look at old tracks.

    Google maps and Earth are my route planners of choice and it's easy enough to save routes from there into your GPS if you like routes. (See zumoforums for a how-to.) I work better from a list of waypoints, but this is a just a preference because I do a lot of "where does THAT road go? when I'm on my way somewhere.)

    I use "avoidances" and "faster/most direct" route to pick the type of roads I'm looking for.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  9. #24
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,509

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    Zumoforums.Com, Kev.

    Mapsource may some day become your friend.. but at the start, you WILL curse it. Mapsource: A.K.A. "The Devils Program" I've been using it for a couple years now and it still isn't the easiest.. (but the best) It REALLY helps if you can find someone to show you the ropes... learning it on your own is tough.

    All the BlueTooth stuff is childs play. EZ Peazy. All my music is on the 660 (stored on the microSD card) and my phone is paired to the 660 which is paired to the SENA, so you can listen to music, hear GPS voice commands and answer the phone. Pretty simple.

    It's planning the routes.....
    I vote for a Garmin 550/660/665 "How To" seminar at the National!!

    I'll attend it ............. twice.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  10. #25
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I vote for a Garmin 550/660/665 "How To" seminar at the National!!

    I'll attend it ............. twice.
    The best way to learn something is to teach it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  11. #26
    Dave Nicholls 105258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Teulon Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    154

    New to Zumo 660

    I have used a 276C for the better part of ten year for motorcycle navagation, but the allure of better technology got me and I purchsed a Zumo 660 last week. So far so good, but I have one question.

    Is there any way to delete all the routes or waypoints as in the 276C ( delete all). Deleting one at a time is a little tedious ?
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

    2010 1200RT

  12. #27
    BMW FanBoi drw2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    566
    Without having my 660 in front of me, I think if you go to tools, my data you may be able to delete ''all'' that way. (Rather than just Favorites, edit.) You could also do a master reset (but you lose everything, (take it back to day one) by putting your finger on the bottom right corner of the screen, turning it on and holding for a bit.

    Re: Using Google Maps, it isn't ever going to work just right because the maps in your GPS and Google Maps are different. They are not exactly the same and that will always cause routes to lay improperly. In fact, it's important that the mapset in both Mapsource and your GPS are exactly the same for just that "point".
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

  13. #28
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    Re: Using Google Maps, it isn't ever going to work just right because the maps in your GPS and Google Maps are different. They are not exactly the same and that will always cause routes to lay improperly. In fact, it's important that the mapset in both Mapsource and your GPS are exactly the same for just that "point".
    What you say is true and is why I consider GPS routing to be just a suggestion. Maps from anybody are never completely up to date with the reality of actual roads.

    I like Google because it's very easy to use and maps get updated more often than any of the maps loaded in your devices. POI's are especially incomplete.

    There are some great tools out there now like maps with bus stops marked along with the time the next bus is expected. Cool stuff. I think I saw this on the iPhone.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #29
    Touring Panpsychist Theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    {snip}...Using Google Maps, it isn't ever going to work just right because the maps in your GPS and Google Maps are different. They are not exactly the same and that will always cause routes to lay improperly. In fact, it's important that the mapset in both Mapsource and your GPS are exactly the same for just that "point".
    IMHO, I'm not sure I find this totally accurate. I regularly download routes generated on both Google and MapQuest to my Garmin Nuvi 550 and I have not had problems with roads "laying" differently. Garmin mimics whatever MapQuest and Google generates for a route.

    I have noticed significant routing differences when directly comparing Google to MapQuest. This is not due to lat/lon differences, however. Roads are fixed to the Earth and coordinates of road points don't differ substantially between between the digital data collection tools used by the various mapping services (NavTeq, TeleAtlas, etc.) in the field.

    What DOES differ are the several hundred road "attributes" (surface, speed limit, seasonal designation, etc.) and the various waypoints each mapping service uses to customize their product. Other differences between services are the presence or absence of new roads. This latter difference can be significant when routing and is most often found in mapping services that do not do frequent (at least quarterly) field updates.

    Also, remember that when developing routes, each GPS manufacturer (and Google/MapQuest) develops their own routing algorithms. Almost all of the algorithms depend not as much on on the lat/lon data, but more heavily rely on the proprietary (NON lat/lon) road attributes given to them by the mapping services. Remember, each mapping service constructs their own road attributes.

    The difference in routing between Google and MapQuest most likely originates in how their routing algorithms interpret these road attributes. I was not able to get Google to route me over a seasonal road (regardless of month of travel) in NH. However, MapQuest allowed me to do so. Thus, Google rejected seasonal roads for consideration in their routing algorithm where MapQuest allowed them. In this case, the seasonal road routing was 30 miles shorter!

    So, I am suggesting that the routing differences appear to be due to the "source" routing algorithm and not the Garmin. Because of my seasonal road experience, I prefer to use MapQuest for online route planning.
    Theo

    2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

  15. #30
    BMW FanBoi drw2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    566
    Theo,

    I believe the routing algorithm are all Garmin's... The GPS just takes raw data from "whatever" source you feed it (i.e. Google) and "recalculates" it and lays down the the route based upon:

    A.)Garmin Internal routing algortihms (laying it onto your internal mapset in your GPS)
    b.) as well as your chosen "routing preferences" in your GPS. (They come into play if you don't have a ton of viapoints forcing everything

    What do you think?
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •