• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

i might get a rig not sure what kind...question follows

f14rio

in new york motorcycles are allowed in hov lanes. if i'm driving a sidecar rig with no passenger, can i use the hov lane?
:doh

I'm guessing that the 2 or more people rule for HOV only applies to cars. So long as your bike is registered as a motorcycle (which I'm sure it will remain so with a sidecar) that you can use the HOV without a passenger. If all else fails, you can try the 'inflatable doll' or 'mannequin' trick some whacko tried to get away with on the Expressway a while ago.

ie:"ISLANDIA, N.Y. ÔÇô The tipoff was the sunglasses. A New Yorker faces a $135 traffic fine for using a mannequin as her plus-one in the high-occupancy lane of the Long Island Expressway. An alert sheriff's deputy on Long Island became suspicious when he saw the "passenger" wearing sunglasses and using the visor. The only problem: The sky was overcast.
When he stopped the vehicle, he found the mannequin, fully dressed with a long dark wig, blazer, shirt and scarf.
The 61-year-old driver left with a summons. > "

Deputy Sheriff Robert Howard poses beside the mannequin he says was the front-seat "passenger" when he pulled over Kathleen A. Frascinella, 61, of Mount Sinai on Wednesday morning as she was driving west in the HOV lane between exits 58 and 57 on the Long Island Expressway. (Feb. 3, 2010) Photo Credit: James Carbone

Attachments

• dummy.jpg
    dummy.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 124
I go in the HOV lanes in VA regularly w/nobody in the sidecar. Never had a problem. I like the mannequin idea though :)

--chiba

in new york motorcycles are allowed in hov lanes. if i'm driving a sidecar rig with no passenger, can i use the hov lane?
:doh

I would. I wouldn't think twice either.
A side car is an accessory to the motorcycle...
If the sign says "Motorcycles OK"... Well... There's yer answer.

I'm in the HOV lanes all the time out here in Seattle.

I googled it.

Long Island Expressway HOV Lane Into Queens-Midtown Tunnel Open to All Vehicles With Three or More Passengers

The existing bus and taxi high occupancy vehicle lane (HOV) into the Queens-Midtown Tunnel is open to cars with three or more riders, and motorcycles (HOV 3+). The lane is open from 7 am to 10 am on the westbound LIE from Calvary Cemetery to the tunnel. The expansion of the HOV lane is made possible by the installation of a movable concrete barrier, which replaced plastic pylons and cones that had been previously used.

This Just In.

From the NYS Dumba** files:

Long Island Expressway HOV Lane Into Queens-Midtown Tunnel Open to All Vehicles With Three or More Passengers

The existing bus and taxi high occupancy vehicle lane (HOV) into the Queens-Midtown Tunnel is open for any motorists who have three or more persons in their vehicle (HOV 3+). The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on the westbound LIE from Calvary Cemetery to the tunnel. Motorcycle riders must obey the same rules as other motorists and have the required number of passengers.

So... A two passenger motorcycle is in violation. Your passenger seat and sidecar must be filled.

Here is an alternative.

china-motorcycle-8-people-06.jpg

...and the answer to the old photoshop question on every board:

chinese+family+motorcycle.jpg

Once again... Glad I left NY.

Jim,
It seems that the restriction might be limited to those just using the tunnel, rather than the entire length of the LIE.

There are other ways to get into Manhattan on a motorycle from Long Island without using the tunnel.

Yeah, free also.

But the fact remains... As written it's pretty stupid.
+3 HOV for a motorcycle?
The point is to lead by example.
Joe Motorist sitting alone in traffic sees Johnny Motorcyclist ride by unencumbered and decides to get a motorcycle too eliminating one car from the traffic pool.

THAT is the point of allowing motorcycles into HOV.
Plus the fact it's basically a 2 seater.

Stupid Laws written by stupid people.

Back