• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Missoula, MT to Glasgow, KY

BILLKLARER2

I flew to Missoula to pick up my 2001 R1150GS last Sunday, 27feb2011. I am staying in Hays, KS tonight, Wednesday, 02mar2011 and hope to make it home tomorrow if weather permits, passing through MO, IL, IN & KY. It has been very cold and windy. My speedometer did weird things at 15 degrees but has worked fine since getting above 20. The heated grips work OK if above 40 - I stopped several times on the side of the road to warm my hands on the cylinder heads.
The Rockies are beautiful but could not/would not stop to take pictures - very few safe places to pull off the road. The main roads through MT & WY were very clear - thanks highway crews!
Ran through 50 miles of frozen fog in western NE this morning. Several observers to my folly have suggested that I must be very tough. I tell them that they are too kind. I personnaly think what I am doing borders on stupidity.
I wanted to thank a young lady who gave me a jump start in Hardin, MT on the morning of 11 degrees. I didn't catch her name but she said she owned a Heritage Soft Tail Classic and a Sportster. I was removing the battery to take it inside the motel to warm; this after calling the local wrecker service who wanted $85. The lady was pulling into an adjacent restaurant and rolled down her window, asking if I needed help. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - I was near Glasgow today for work...62 and sunny.
Hope rest of your trip is warmer!

That's one way to get used to a new (to you) bike. I'm glad you made it through MT and WY without snow or ice. Snow is forecast here for tonight.

(When I rode year-round in New England, the only bikes you'd see in the winter were Harleys and BMWs.)

Pictures would have been nice, but I know that when your fingers freeze up and you just want to get there, pictures aren't on the agenda. Ride safe and stay warm. Enjoy your new bike! :thumb

- Kate

Laramie! The only place I dropped my bike while moving. 1980 Quad Cities deperture - drop to I-70 - out to San Luis Obispo - up to SF and back on I-80 - 5500 miles in 11 days.
Picked up the bike and drove to emergency room for gravel removal and a few stitches (pea gravel on exit ramp). I got too close to the shoulder on the ramp having been distracted by another vehicle.

Yep, lots of pea gravel around here. :) We call it soil. The wind can blow it onto the roads and it'll lurk in curves waiting for unwary motorcyclists.

- Kate

Back